PDA

View Full Version : Can't catch him so might as well keep him...

sedman_d
07/26/2001, 07:17 AM
I have a 35 gallon tank that his been set up since May this year.

Although I have never seen my mantis I am 100% positive there is one in my tank (kills my snails and also all the peppermint shrimps I added to eat the aphasia.) I have even set up an old tank with some live rock, etc so I could keep him... however after trying everything (traps, sitting up half the night with a red filtered torch and removing rock) I still can't catch the little bugger.

So seeing as he likes the tank so much he can stay there... therefore I need to know ...

a) what and how often do I feed him to stop him eating my livestock. I need to put some shrimps in for the aptasia and at £11 ($15) a shrimp they make expensive mantis food. Also is there a best time of the day to feed them.

b) Is there anything that should not be kept with a mantis (clams, corals, shrimps or fish.)

Thanks

Dan
:bum:

moviegeek
07/26/2001, 01:07 PM
Whether you decide to keep him in his current tank or move him into another tank you need to do one thing: find his burrow. More than likely he has one or two favorite places to hide out. It's likely the entrance doesn't face the front of the tank or may be obscured by another piece of rock.

The best way to remove him would be to move the whole rock to the second tank.

You can't keep him from killing shrimp, snails, etc. If he's hungry, he'll hunt. If you find his burrow though you may be able to target feed him and keep him satiated that way. But if he gets the munchies...