PDA

View Full Version : February Mtg Topic - Coral toxicity

SmartWrasse
01/24/2004, 07:33 PM
Hi All

We had planned from the Jan mtg to frag an SPS (pink birdsnest) and talk about coral toxicity. If you would like to put together a presentation /discussion on this topic, let us know in this thread.

I was thinking some things could be thrown together from Borneman's book. Anyone have some good ideas?

Thanks, Mike

satman
01/24/2004, 09:49 PM
Hi Mike,

There is a very interesting thread in the Zoanthid forum on toxicity.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158730

Gould

EvilMel
01/24/2004, 10:22 PM
After reading this thread it seems like SOMEONE would try to make an antitoxin. I mean with such a huge group of reef hobbyists out there and that being one of the most commonly kept corals. I guess it sounds like the molecule itself is very complex.

Surely SOMEONE is working on this. If I think about it, I get a bit scared. I mean everyone has seen the rashes on my arms and I am just lucky it wasn't that Mycobacterial infection that rots out your skin. Plus I have had my hand go numb (with tingling up to my elbow) before. Actually I did alot of stuff in my fishtank today and my hand is a bit numb right now.

It's pretty scary. Especially for people like Julie and Eric who have young kids (plus Julie atleast has dogs too).

If I had kids I sure as hell wouldn't let them near that stuff. And when I get a dog (in the not too distant future), my dog will not be anywhere near it either.

Gosh this sounds like a great topic. I wonder who suggested it.
hah hah

Seriously I would do the research but I have zero time right now. After I finish my dissertation I'll take like 4 topics in a row, but I just can't right now.

Mel

SmartWrasse
01/24/2004, 10:46 PM
This and the part about corals waging chemical warefare is a very interesting topic. Unless someone has a real interest, I will research it and give the presentation. I am not a coral or coral toxin expert by any means. The reason I did not immediately volunteer to do this topic is that you really learn more by doing the research. Someone could learn a lot and shut me up at the same time.

So speak up ET reefers. Should be a great meeting next month. Thanks for the link Gould.