PDA

View Full Version : Great Meeting!

minfinger
01/24/2004, 05:30 PM
All I know is WOW! I was a little overwhelmed by all the things that were going on in the house. I sure hope everyone had a good time.

Congradulations to Arthur, Skip, and Brian for winning the door prizes.

Thanks again to Rob from www.robsreef.com for coming up from Aiken with corals and a nice Acro to frag! Again, just like last time, I think everyone was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the corals that he presented.

Arthur & Lori, OMG...Thanks for the bagels, Jodi loves them!! I know Rob liked the Muffins!!!

Jackie, I owe you some frags at some point. Sorry, I was so busy running around. Thanks for bringing the snacks! If the group stays this big, I may be requiring your help to help the meetings like this one run smoothly or maybe a tad more oganized. :D

Luke, Tell your friend to let me know what he wants to do about the 55.

Troy, to bad you were out of town. Lets us know about the RV thing...With Arthur and Lori telling their stories about Rob's setup, we all wnat to go down there.

Thanks again to everyone that came.

If this was your first meeting, please PM or email me your full name, address, and phone number. So I can get your membership card made

Thanks
Mike
Founder
www.charlestonreefers.org

robwsup
01/24/2004, 08:11 PM
I had a great time, definitely worth the drive. I just got home (8:09pm). I ran by Tideline with Arthur and Lori. Chris has a great store there, and really seems to know and care about his marine livestock. This seems atypical compared to many shop proprietor that I know of. I picked up some Cyclop-Eeze and some silversides while I was there.

I'm glad everyone liked the frags. I look forward to the next meeting, especially if you guys/girls are going to drive down this way!

minfinger
01/24/2004, 09:32 PM
I'd like to plan on using that RV, but who knows. If we can't get the RV, then we will all have to figure out carpooling or something to Aiken ;)

Aquarius Lady
01/24/2004, 10:04 PM
I agree, I think a visit to Aiken would be an awesome road trip!
We could carpool and those riding could kick in some gas money or lunch for the drivers ;)

Aquarius Lady
01/24/2004, 10:07 PM
LUKE-
Thanks for the shrimp! They are awesome, and are real gems!

Rob- Thanks for the Extra's!!! Rob always has the neatest corals!
The snails are getting right to work, and those Paly's are just awesome! (Neat neon green!)

Mike- Thanks for hosting!!!! You need to make a copy of that DVD! That was sweet! and you KNOW if you need me to help out I will, In fact I will email ya later on and work on some membership sheets or something, it's great seeing the club grow!

Nice meeting all my old friends and the new folks! Nice turnout! Look forward to seeing you all in February! (That is my birthday month, frags accepted!<hint> LOL! just kiddin!) :D

kidzatheart
01/24/2004, 10:30 PM
It was nice putting faces to names. The meeting was great. After the meeting and going to tideline, Lori wanted to go by age, boy was that a Mistake. They had a Purple Tang for $40 but was as is, it has lateral line. We got one before with this and was able to turn him around so we got this one. Then on the way to pay Lori spotted another tank that had a small 1 head Branching Hammer and some Red Capalera. The Hammer was $16 and the Capalera was $10. We are having fun trying to figure out where to put everything we got today. Can't wait to see everyone for next meeting, if we go to rob's we all better start saving now cause we will be broke when we leave.:p

minfinger
01/24/2004, 11:21 PM
Age has some good stuff, sometimes...I remember that Purple Tang...he was huge...In good health, that was a $80+ fish!! LOL That's a great deal if he makes it back.

How was the stock at Tideline? I haven't been there this week. I usually call on the way home Tuesday and see if they have anything good.

kidzatheart
01/24/2004, 11:52 PM
Mike, Tidelines stock was very low. As far as his internet specials, the only thing he really had left was his clown triggers and at $99 and $125 we passed. He will be getting some things in tuesday afternoon he said. We went there looking for his Common Bubble Anemones which he had for $14.99. They were all gone. We plan on coming up there tuesday to get one of those anemones. Thank you MIke for hosting the meeting at your house. If you can burn that reef video we would love to have a copy.

Jackie, Thank you very much for the red shroom. The shroom looks great.

Rob, Thank you very much for the extras again. You have such great stuff. Looking foward to having a meeting at your house.

Troy, sorry you couldnt make it. It was a great meeting. Hope to see you at the next meeting.

As Arthur stated, It was great meeting everyone. We had a great time. Each time we come, we can always bring more bagels, muffins, etc.

minfinger
01/25/2004, 01:17 AM
I always enjoy hosting meetings, but everyone has to come over on the Friday before the next meeting and help me clean next time ;) (J/K)

Seriously, I enjoy everyone being here, I'm just happy we can all have a place to get together.

From the sounds of things, we my be having a Sudo(sp) meeting at Jackie's House soon....Corals...Corals...Corals

skipm
01/25/2004, 11:52 AM
I think you already know if you need my help with anything all you have to do is call/e-mail/etc.
It was great getting to see some faces to go with the names and to see some growth in the club. What is our membership up to now?

We need to start coming up with ideas now for the next meetings topic and hopefully meeting place (so Jackie doesn't have to go). Anyone have any ideas about a topic they think we need to cover? Since there are so many new members perhaps another behind the scenes tour at the aquarium would be possible.
Mike, your prop system is coming along great. If you come up with an idea about what you want in the way of a reactor LMK and we can plan on getting together on it. Looking forward to our next meeting already, Skip

robwsup
01/25/2004, 11:56 AM
pseudo=false

If you guys decide to come here, Mike and I could go over various aspects of coral propogation, with plenty of specimens able to be propogated. If not, maybe we should put up a poll with various subjects.

minfinger
01/25/2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I can bring one of my bigger leathers and we'll frag 5 or 6 frags off of it and go over the various methods.

Skip, we're going to have to get together soon. I scored a nice size peice of acrylic from work, so I think we have enough, plus all my scrap. The bad thing, I need to get a bottle and regulator before I spend all this time on the reactor. Thanks ahead of time!!

Aquarius Lady
01/25/2004, 12:13 PM
You, I wanted to mention, that when ROB bought that coral for us all to frag, people were gathered like movie goers at a theater, watching and learning... It would have been REALLY grand, if we would have had a few experienced members explaining and showing us the "hows and why's" of fragging an SPS, (etc).
What I am getting at, is that it could be GREAT if we can learn different things at different meetings, a kind of "How to workshop"... This really helps "newbies" learn the ins and outs of everything from lighting, filtration to fragging, prop grow out (etc) and if SOME projects are "how to's" (Like Robs Coral) we can all compare and see how our frags are doing under a variety of lighting and conditions, and learn from each other.
Obviously not EVERYTHING can be a "how to or Hands on" But, if say Mike was building a filter or someone putting together a homemade light fixture that would be a great thing to view, help with, and discuss first hand (and compare to). (Plus if your building you get extra 'hands' top help)
The nice thing is there would still be informal discussion, trading, making friends, etc, BUT we would have some 'guidance' at some of the meetings to keep a topic on hand or learn something new (or for more experienced folks get ideas and see new ideas built firsthand and be able to compare).
IF the membership stays this high, more field trips COULD be fun! (as well as educational) I imagine Rob, or Tideline would LOVE to give a "behind the scenes tour" and make some $$ from the group <vbg> or even get a tour of the Chas. Aquarium.
If we do plan road trips w/ carpooling the drivers could get some gas money from the riders or free lunch or both <g> (We could all kick in and buy them a frag <G>)
In warmer weather we could have our own BEACHCOMBING "how to" and what you can find in local areas.
If I didn't explain it right, ask me, and I can try explaining it better, LOL!
Just some suggestions ...

Aquarius Lady
01/25/2004, 12:15 PM
Geeze. my message must have been too long, I see it got CHOPPED in the middle :(
I think how my message was SUPPOSED to start out was...
"You know... I wanted to suggest/mention" :) See what lack of coffee will do to a person! LOL!

kidzatheart
01/25/2004, 03:57 PM
I think Jackie's idea is great. I know for us that when our frags grow, we really dont know how to frag them. I think learning fragging would be great.

minfinger
01/25/2004, 06:09 PM
Jackie, I agree. My idea behind this meeting was just a get together and it turned out great. I wish it could have been a tad bit more organized, but the 2 hours flew by so fast :( Like I said, I was having trouble keeping up with everyone.

I just want to let everyone know, if you have anymore questions about my tanks or my prop system, lighting, or filtration. Please ask. I will do my best to describe it.

I've always enjoyed explaining the way I do things to people so they can have a better understanding of the whole SW Reef hobby. Thing about doing a "how to", we can't really do it at a resturaunt, and I don't really have all those tools like Skip does. I just make do with what I have :D

One thing I do know is how to frag just about every kind of coral there is. I'm sure if we go to Rob's between the both of us, there won't be much we can't describe.

kidzatheart
01/26/2004, 12:49 AM
From Mike's post:
Thing about doing a "how to", we can't really do it at a resturaunt

This would sound great to me: For the Feb meeting, go to Rob's house for the learn how to frag meeting and then after we could all go to Teresa's for lunch :D YUMMY!!!

Going to Rob's house, learning how to frag, buying some stuff from Rob and buying some more stuff from Rob and eatting at Teresa's..I wouldnt be able to ask for a better trip and meeting..lol :D

Seeing all of Rob's stuff in person makes you want one of everything..lol. He has really great stuff. I was looking at our reef tank and realized 98% of the things in there are from Rob. Everything is looking so great.

I am already excited about our next meeting. I cant wait. We both had such a great time at this 1st meeting and look foward to many more.

Aquarius Lady
01/26/2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by minfinger

I've always enjoyed explaining the way I do things to people so they can have a better understanding of the whole SW Reef hobby. Thing about doing a "how to", we can't really do it at a resturaunt, and I don't really have all those tools like Skip does. I just make do with what I have :D

Well this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff that IS good to know, I bet a lot of us, don't have the neat tools like Skip ;) BUT it's always nice to know how to "make/build/repair" things, because I know most of us do not have tons of $$$ sitting around to invest in all the best or 'pre-built' stuff.
Also, I think what really can help newbies (speaking of myself at least) is that many do not know what (is) or what to do in a Marine System Emergency...
What if your power goes out for more than so many hours,
How to fix or 'micky mouse rig' that Light, Sump or Kalkwasser system if it suddenly goes kaput...
As an example, I have very little knowledge of HOW and WHY a good sump works the way it does (or a Kalkwasser pump) or the in's and out's of Metal Halide lighting and the proper way to set it up etc...
Of course you can READ about it, I have read about it to death <G> ;) but I am a visual hands on kind of learner, and to just "read" it, it won't sink in.... But if I SEE someones system and they explain the "why and hows" of it, then it can make more sense to me.
Mike brings up a good point, there is NOT a whole lot you can do in a restaurant, so maybe someone in the club can find a contact or a place were we could hold occasional meetings (VFW post, some club house, a person's house kind of in the 'middle' for everyone) that we can have some good "hands on" meetings for.
(Hence the 'field trips' to Tideline or the Chas. Aquarium etc) to really see Systems in action and discuss them.
Robs is good for a field trip, also maybe once a year we can have a really big 'something' and go to that Ripleys Believe it or Not Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, or who knows, maybe someday plan a trip to GA or FL to do some snorkling, or beach combing or???
These are all just ideas and suggestions ;) of course.
I know MY house is open for a meeting if we ever want to have one (<i>provided we don't end up moving!</i>) my REEF System is pretty tiny but I have room in the house for alot of people and an INGROUND pool for maybe a party/bbq for the Chas. Reefers Club in the summer <G>
I know Luke and a few others kinda laughed at me for wanting to explore the "local stuff' but who knows, maybe we can catch some glass shrimp, or look for whatever beneficial critters we do have! (Hey, I'll volunteer to start a "local tank" <eeg>) LOL!
Someone mentioned there ARE some neat gorgonians in the area that grow! or even just to observe and ID what is in the local area.
The neat and great thing about the club growing is as it does we get more folks with more 'resources' and connections. Maybe we could find someone with a boat, or charter a boat for a day and either do one of these local Eco Tours, or go fishing or whatever.
Anyway, I volunteered to help Mike out with forms or keeping membership straight, and I am more than willing to do that,
(NOT wanting to intrude on Skip or Troy if they are already doing that! LOL!)

I can't remember if the Charleston Reefers has any kind of "Membership" form?? Maybe we could make one.
Something that lists your name, address, email, experience in the hobby, other hobbies etc. People can list (if they wish) anything they think might be useful to the club if they wish to share...
(IE: If I had a boat, I might list that and say I would be willing to take people out on it if we had a field trip or something)
If a member would be willing to "host" a meeting at their residence or ?? that could be put on there also. (Obviously not everyone can, so that is understood).

I was just so overjoyed at the turnout this last time, it was great! (and there was still like 4 or 5 members that were absent!) It is nice to see the club taking off!

Mike, <b>THANK YOU!</b> You got a GREAT club and we are appreciative of you founding/setting it up! :D
May it keep on growing!!

kidzatheart
01/26/2004, 02:40 PM
Jackie, You come up with some GREAT ideas. I have been to the Ripleys Aquarium 2 times and it is great. Along with learning how to frag, we would need to know what kind of tools we need for fragging. We are talking about changing our pc to mh so learning about mh would be great. Shoot, we just wanna learn as much as we can. Its all so interesting.

minfinger
01/26/2004, 07:55 PM
I could explain a lot of those questions in this forum, but then, all we'd ever do is get together and trade frags. But that's nothing wrong with that ;)

Jackie, thanks fro the ideas. Keep them coming if you have more. I think now that we have a larger group, it may not be as uncomfortable for new members to come to someones home. That's what I was worried about it and that's why we did a lot of resturaunt meetings.

I can't resist it, I have ot anser one question.

Arthur, as far as tools. Well you can frag just about every Leather coral with a good sharp clean pair of scissors. Attaching Leathers is pretty easy. I usaully put most of them under mesh and take it off when the attach.

Most Acros and LPS can be fragged with a flat head screwdriver. Other wise, some of the SPS have hard structures and might take a nice pair of plyers. Then you use "marine glue" to attach them to a rock.

Aquarius Lady
01/26/2004, 09:24 PM
>>> <i>Then you use "marine glue" to attach them to a rock.</i>

You can't just use a super glue gel??

robwsup
01/26/2004, 10:04 PM
Loctite super glue gel works best for me. Lowes carries it.

minfinger
01/27/2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I buy the 2 part putty like stuff from Tideline. It's got a white center and a green outer coating. You mess with it in your fingers until it's totally bonded and it will hold like concrete.

It's actually much more expensive for half the tube at Home Depot.

skipm
01/28/2004, 04:04 PM
I second Rob with the Loctite gel, I also know that Troy uses it as well. Skip

Simbo18
01/28/2004, 05:21 PM
I use Loctite gel.

Mike, you say that this other stuff from Tide is cheaper in volume than at Lowes or HD?? Or am I reading wrong?

:wildone:Luke:wildone:

Simbo18
01/28/2004, 05:31 PM
I use Loctite gel.

Mike, you say that this other stuff from Tide is cheaper in volume than at Lowes or HD?? Or am I reading wrong?

:wildone:Luke:wildone:

minfinger
01/28/2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah it's only like $6 or $7 for it at Tideline, I can't remember, but it wasn't that much and you get a little more than twice as much.

skipm
01/28/2004, 07:31 PM
I see that this thread has been going wild over the past couple of days (I haven't, the flu finally found me :( ).
You have commented about not having all of the tools that I have, its true that I do have quite a few tools but there only a few that I really use alot and I can show different methods that use tools normally found around peoples houses. One example of a tool I use extensively is my tablesaw, but by using a straight edged guide you can make cuts with the same quality with an ordinary circular saw or router. With the exception of canopies and stands the main tools I use are my tablesaw and drill press. I use the drill press mainly because it is easier than using a handheld drill when drilling acrylic. I use a couple of jigs that I made out of wood for gluing acrylic along with a few clamps and hand tools. There are tools that I don't have either that would make assembly of certain projects alot easier but I have figured ways around not having them. I have said before if we want to have a DIY themed meeting to LMK, if everyone wants it geared towards handtools and only common powertools we can work something out. We would need to decide on a specific project in order to make things easier though, otherwise it would just be a demonstration of various techniques. Skip

minfinger
01/28/2004, 08:28 PM
Skip I need to have those 2 Acrylic braces tooled down to only about 1" to 2" wide across the top of the tank. Probably a Router thing or a good Jig saw. I can get them to you, but I don't clamps big enough to go across the tank. I'm scared that 2x4 braces would not hold.

skipm
01/29/2004, 01:28 PM
I may have to come up your way this weekend, I'll let you know and cutting them won't be any problem at all. Skip

minfinger
01/29/2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks. Rob recommended I leave it wide at the edges, but remove most of the cross bracing.