PDA

View Full Version : sounds like sour grapes

kev-dog1
01/23/2004, 06:14 PM
I've thought about keeping this to myself, but something in me says to just come out and say it...
Everytime I log on and check out what my fellow TN reefers are talking about here on this forum lately, there's these obviously bitter comments being fired at the Critter from the two Emerald Bay guys.
Can you say..."chip on the shoulder?"
I don't get it "EBay" guys.
I've been to your store, and it's "okay" at best. Sure, you were nice enough...but what I see you contribute to this forum makes me wonder - what is the real you?.
Bottom line: I WILL shop at both stores. If you've got what I'm looking for, you'll probably get my business. Competition can only be good for us - the consumer. I've thought the Critter needed some competition for a while, and EBay's obvious "little brother just trying to get noticed" attitude will keep them striving to improve.
But all this name calling and bashing sure sounds like sour grapes to me.
Just my humble opinion.

If you feel the need to flame me, or agree with me...here's your chance.
Kev-dog

reewik
01/23/2004, 06:53 PM
Sorry to say it guys, but I agree w/ Kev-dog. I have heard it and seen it posted. Hey I am like Kev-dog when I say if you have what I want you will get my business. I like a fine wine but sour grapes sure do taste bad to me!

Just telling the truth, no slam intended!

Eric

aquaman67
01/23/2004, 08:26 PM
I will say this...at least E Bay is trying to start a club for us. How long has the Critter had a chance to do this?

It's all good...let's play nice....

reewik
01/23/2004, 10:51 PM
That is all I am saying. I agree E-Bay is stepping up with the club and that is great. I have nothing bad to say about either place. But I totally hear what is being said.

Oldschooler
01/23/2004, 11:50 PM
(a) Kev-dog is a friend of ours. He's yanking your chains.

(b) At least we don't sell people frags that are diseased, ERIC.

(c) ROFLMAO

Oldschooler
01/23/2004, 11:53 PM
Correction, perhaps... "Kev-dog" is probably not who I thought he was. Time will tell... still ROFLMAO

Oldschooler
01/23/2004, 11:58 PM
How IRONIC... Kev-dog is DEFINITELY not who I thought he was. Strangely enough, we have a customer named "Kevin", who TRAINS DOGS, whom we told about this forum JUST THIS EVENING, and yet, he most certainly hasn't been registered to Reef Central since 2002! Ha! How's THAT for a coincidence!?

Either way, does anyone, "Kev-dog" included, really think Ebay CARES if people are cheerleaders for us or the Quitter? We're about keeping and selling corals that are happy. It seems to me we're the ONLY people in middle Tennessee who feel this way. Just my opinion.

So eat THEM grapes! LOL

~Roberto

Oldschooler
01/24/2004, 12:10 AM
ANOTHER correction (a side-effect of working 360 days a year): I didn't mean to say we're the only PEOPLE selling happy corals- I MEANT to say the only brick-and-mortar retail STORE.

Bleh. I'm sleepy...

Laters...

reewik
01/24/2004, 07:32 AM
(b) At least we don't sell people frags that are diseased, ERIC.

I hope you are not saying I did this on purpose. I would like to know an answer to this asap. This will make some decisions for me. As I stated the comments that have been made are not something I would do. That is all I have said ROBERT! So please explain your comment above!

reewik
01/24/2004, 07:34 AM
And let me also say. My post was in no way to dog anyone. So if anyone has been offended I apologize!!!

aquaman67
01/24/2004, 07:39 AM
I think you can tell when someone does something just for money and when someone does something they are into and just happens to get money for it...apply where needed.

Oldschooler
01/24/2004, 08:42 AM
One of the things I've noticed about this forum from the time I first visited is this- many of us post things that really should have been "taken to e-mail". Sean will tell you I've chastised him just recently that some things he's said to an individual I really think he should have e-mailed, and he agreed. I realise that MANY of us here are new to forum-speak, etc., and that's okay. Nonetheless, personal exchanges, whether they be "hey, man, what frags can I buy from you?" or "you suck, and here's why" really aren't what internet forums are supposed to be for. Basically, if it's DISCUSSING something in general, for the consumption of many people, it's suitable for a forum. If you are exchanging messages about something in particular and more or less with one person, it needs to go to e-mail. This, of course, is not a "rule", but more or less normal forum protocol as I've seen it done for many years of forum-surfing.

Having said that, Eric, if you want clarificiation of my comments, you know where to find me, whether you call or stop by. Or e-mail.

~Roberto

kev-dog1
01/24/2004, 09:24 AM
Sorry for causing some mistaken identity.

Thanks for the pm, you know who you are.

By bringing this up, I am only trying to help/advise/keep you (EBay) from making an @%% of yourself. I've been in sales and marketing for over 20 years and one of the first rules I learned was not to slam your competition. Who knows whether who you're talking to may be related to them, like them, think they are knowledgeable or whatever...you are insulting your audience for having that opinion. And who knows, you may have to someday ask this competition for a favor (however distasteful that might seem now).
Being in any kind of sales or marketing is about cultivating positive relationships, not alienating people.
Sorry you've had a bad experience with your former employer, but who hasn't. Press on. Life's too short for bad attitudes.
You've got a good start...your store is clean and a friendly place to visit. I wish you all the luck in the world. And thank you for bringing us consumers some choice.
I'd just watch what I said...especially in a public forum like this. Opinions are fine, everybody's got one (just like @%%holes) but they are best kept to yourself.

Please take my input as it is intended, advice from an "oldschool" marketing guy.

Just my humble opinion.
kev-dog

Oldschooler
01/24/2004, 09:38 AM
Your advice is humbly taken, Kev-dog. And you *are* right to a point, but I think you are wrong on one point. In THIS business "slamming your competition" helps EVERYONE. Dude, do you have ANY idea how many people this "rivalry" has driven to BOTH stores? I KNOW I've sent- willingly- DOZENS of people who'd never HEARD of the Neurotic- sorry... The Aquatic Critter- to their store for this or that. They HAVE to be benefiting from me driving people to them. If they aren't, then they deserve to recede. I also send a TON of people to the Fish Bowl. They may not often have as much, but they bend over BACKWARD to help people. Mickey from the Fish Bowl is the one who truly taught me the meaning of SERVICE.

They say a rising tide raises all ships. I apologise for any of you who get caught in my undertow! LOL

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Unless someone works in MY profession, they can't KNOW what "professional" is! I work in mysterious ways, yes, but my methods work for ME! :)))

But yes, thank you for your opinion, seriously!!!!

~Roberto

Oldschooler
01/24/2004, 09:41 AM
One last thing 'cause I'm REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY late for work...

"One of the first rules I learned was..." Blech! Rules are made to be broken!!!!!!!!!! This, coming from a guy who uses CANNISTER filters on reef tanks! No skimmers, either! Yikes!

*Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law!!!!*

wooglin
01/24/2004, 10:27 AM
Well you can definatly tell who is in it for a large profit (aquatic critter), and who is in it for a fair profit while advancing both the fish and reptile hobbies.

A prime example is a quote I got on an aquarium for the critter. They were going to charge over 400 dollars for an aquarium that I am getting from Emerald Bay for half that. It is nice to know that the small guy can compete with the big guy.

The biggest problem with the critter is that the sell stuff that is not as advertised. I bought some DT's from them that was fouled, BAD!! I mean bad!!! It had to have been left out for weeks before being put in that small fridge. The RO water? Dont even get me started it tested over 100 on my TDS meter, and they have the nerve to charge for that crap? That is just plain dishonest bussiness at worst, and ignorance at best,

adshuraj777
01/24/2004, 04:25 PM
ummmm, we still gonna be eating burritos sunday? lol!

Oldschooler
01/24/2004, 10:53 PM
Mmmmmm... BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITOS! (Don't forget to roll your "r"s, ad!

~Roberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrto!

fishdoc11
01/24/2004, 11:17 PM
Just for the record. Eric had no idea the frag was "compromised".

reewik
01/24/2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks Fishdoc.

I hope we have no bad blood out there. I love you man!

Oldschooler
01/25/2004, 01:08 AM
For the record, I wasn't talking about any frag that ERIC sold (or whatever). I MEANT that at least WE don't sell bad corals, as OTHER FISH STORES we supposedly "bash". I think you all took that PERSONAL because I DIRECTED it to Eric, hence the bold letters. An unfortunate by-product of speaking via the 'net.

I meant to address the comment especially to Eric by using his name, not to imply that HE necessarily did or did not sell anything bad. I had no idea he sold frags, anyway.

Sorry for the confusion...
~Roberto

Oldschooler
01/25/2004, 01:09 AM
...But I guess NOW I know he does. :)

Sideways84
01/28/2004, 08:51 PM
Hey Kev Dog, Can you email me ?
I've got some marketing questions that you might could help me with. Which side of the Marketing Fence are you on, Meaning do you place ads for a company or provide ads ?
I race locally and try to race Nationally and have pulled off some pretty neat sponsorship but have hit some speedbumps recently...Just looking for some advice from someone who knows the ropes ....

Thanks, Ronnie ( Sideways84 )

Sideways84
01/28/2004, 08:52 PM
email is rcampbell84 AT comcast DOT net

Trying to stay spam proof, please use appropriate symbols above...