PDA

View Full Version : Hi...im new

waverz
01/21/2004, 11:41 PM
Hi, I just stumbled on this forum tonite and thought ide post. I've been doing freshwater for about 20 years and finally decided to get into reef keeping. Im in the process of setting up my 125 gallon, actaully its filling with RO water as i type. A slow process i might add.
Anyway Ill tell ya a litte bit about my setup, its a 125 All-Glass tank. I built a canopy which houses 2-400 watt metal halides. For filters, I have an external overflow (which was made by a guy here in town), a 35 gallon rubbermaid tub, and a 20 gallon refugium. I plan on connecting the tub and 20 gallon together with bulkhead fittings. As far as a protein skimmer i am still undecided. I am trying to find one cheap...i may buy one from the guy who built my overflow.
As soon as i get the bugs worked out of the filtration i plan on buying 100 lbs of live rock as well as a bunch of live sand for the filter and refugium. Soon as i get everything established i will be intrested in trading frags. Hopefully there is someone local who will be intrested in doing some trades. :D

flyj3
01/21/2004, 11:59 PM
Welcome and where are you?

waverz
01/22/2004, 12:06 AM
I'm in Evansdale...right next to Waterloo.

flyj3
01/22/2004, 12:18 AM
Next club meeting is in Iowa City, Hope you can make it...
You shouldn't have anyproblem getting frags for your tank.
There are plenty available....
John

dellrio
01/22/2004, 08:43 PM
have u thought about where u plan to buy your live rock? theres several people here in iowa that sell live rock cheap.. i may know soemone who can get it for so cheap i am not even gunna say the price... let me know if u want the info...

Ball
01/22/2004, 09:17 PM
Im a newbie starting a tank. Id like the info.. :)

dellrio
01/23/2004, 03:32 PM
turns out the deal i thought i had.. wasnt really what it was.. now its more like $115 for 45lbs and .50 cents per pound shipping. let me know if this price still interests u.

davefromia
01/23/2004, 06:16 PM
Hello ther,

I live in Cedar Falls and go to UNI, right now I just have a new 7gal othewise i would help you out with some frags. Im sure you know about Fish Focus, which is a great little store that i prefer over the other local ones and its the farthes away from me.

Dave

waverz
01/23/2004, 06:37 PM
Hey Dave, i grew up in Cedar Falls. And im also good friends with James at Fish Focus. He works there during the week. I used to work with him at Proffesional Tropicals. Man i miss that store...

Originally posted by davefromia
Hello ther,

I live in Cedar Falls and go to UNI, right now I just have a new 7gal othewise i would help you out with some frags. Im sure you know about Fish Focus, which is a great little store that i prefer over the other local ones and its the farthes away from me.

Dave

Atticus
01/23/2004, 11:33 PM
There is a Saltwater shop in Waterloo????

waverz
01/24/2004, 12:32 PM
There have been a number of new shops opening up here. Fish Focus is by far the best. Its actaully in Elk Run Heights. There was another shop that exclusivly saltwater they even had a old hot tub setup as a salttank. It was pretty cool but the business went down the tubes. I see Empoium Pets is getting more of a saltwater selection but it is a pet store and always reaks like pee.

Originally posted by Atticus
There is a Saltwater shop in Waterloo????

Atticus
01/24/2004, 01:03 PM
Does Fish Focus have cyclop-eeze that you know of?

waverz
01/24/2004, 03:35 PM
Im not sure... atleast i havent seen it there. Ide try calling Jennifer. The number is
(319) 232-3714. Good luck.
waverz

Originally posted by Atticus
Does Fish Focus have cyclop-eeze that you know of?

KelKoolaid
01/25/2004, 02:27 AM
Hey there great to see other reefer's from the area starting up. I'm fairly new to the Sw hobby 7 yrs Fw, 4 mos. SW. I fequented Pro-Tropicics, it is up and running again, building back up. But so far only wholesale SW.
In waterloo we have a few SW stores,(ditto)the best so far... Fish Focus. someone posted as I typed. It is located in Elk Run (next to Evansdale) its right off of Lafayete Rd by Elk Run School.

The guy that had the Saltwater place Under the sea, he moved. He's across from the Wishbone resturant on 18 th and Commercial. But he's only there on the weekends, has another job. He got rid of the hot tub, but still has a large livestock watering tub.

Emporium pets sells all pets, so it does smell. But they are dedicating more to the SW. Adding new tanks, better lighting and will be getting more direct from Florida. One of SW Peeps when down there and is bringing back stock.

We have a petco but we all know the story with them. At our's anything they get in on thurs thats cool is bought up by employees, and anything left a week later prob needs better lighting and food.

Don't mean to come off opinonated lol but after seeing Reef connection (2 thumbs up) and Hung's another (2 thumbs up) we have to let our stores know we want more.

Anyone wanting directions PM me. I was wondering about stores in Fort Dodge I'm headed there this weekend. Can;t wait to see House of Corals in CR when it opens.:)

KelKoolaid
01/25/2004, 02:29 AM
Not sure if they do, but I know Emporium has it. 3 oz frozen bars $10.90. I really like it.

cabenn
01/26/2004, 02:19 PM
glad I am not the only one who thought Emporium Pets smelled like pee. UGH why not just move the cat cages away from the registers so people can breathe fresh air. Their spraying cans of air freshner around when I was in there which made it even worse.

Atticus
01/26/2004, 02:37 PM
Air freshener has to be good for the animals and fish..... :(