PDA

View Full Version : Which hang-on for hiding equipment?

Jefe12234
07/24/2001, 04:01 PM
I want to buy a hang-on filter so that I can hide my heater, float switch, and DIY chiller input/output in it. Does anyone know if there are power filters that are big enough to do this? My heater is about 12" long. Some of the hang-on skimmers look like they would have the space for this, but they're pretty spendy and I wouldn't use the skimmer portion very much. (I'm going skimmerless.)

Are there any BIG power filters?

mr9iron
07/24/2001, 05:46 PM
We need a little more infor jefe, what are the deminsions of the intended tank?

Jefe12234
07/24/2001, 09:17 PM
The tank is a 20 gallon high (24"x12"x16"), so just about any filter should fit on it. I just wonder if there's any larger ones that could hold this equipment.

mr9iron
07/24/2001, 10:24 PM
A penguin filter my accomodate you, if you really wanna hide the stuff you might consider a sump.

Tadashi
07/25/2001, 02:08 PM
If it is a nano-reef forget the pengiun mechanical filter. I recommend the CPR 2 Backpack. It is a nice skimmer that will be able to hold your probes, heater, and carbon if necessary. The 2R is also nice but with the 2nd baffle it makes it hard to put carbon in it.

I used to put tang heaven in the return section and do a reverse lighting cycle on it. Kept the pH at 8.2 all the time.

The other nice option about the CPR is that it is easy to clean and totally breaks down. I have the Remora and it was a pain to clean. Although after a cleaning the Remora was a better skimmer. I also had to clean the Remora twice as often as the CPR to perform optimally and it is hard to put stuff in the return side of the skimmer since you have to move the collection cup to access that section.

The Remora Pro would be a really strong skimmer on a 20-gal.