PDA

View Full Version : pinpoint pH solutions

EvilMel
01/21/2004, 05:28 PM
Hey so some of us were wondering who said (at the last reef meeting) that they knew where to get pH calibration solutions for like $0.79 locally?

And where do you get them from.

Man, we have alot of threads going now.

Mel

llpoolej
01/21/2004, 05:32 PM
The Coral Reef has them. I don't know how much they are though.

Sir Knight
01/21/2004, 05:37 PM
Mel,
I'm going to the aquarium tomorrow to get some fish food. I'll see if they have it and how much it is.
The pinpoint you are getting I think comes with it.

EvilMel
01/21/2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah it came with 2 reference solutions.

But I'm not gonna shop at the Aquarium, Joe.

I don't support that store (I don't want to get the whole club into an Aquarium vs Coral Reef arguement, but I just don't go there myself).

I am curious how much those test solutions are there, just for my knowledge, so let me know anyways.

And thanks for looking for me, I appreciate it!

Do you guys remember who said something about it at the reef meeting? I just can't remember.

Mel

imsqueak
01/21/2004, 06:56 PM
Mel, It was one of our new members, the guy that was sitting across from me, who said it was from the Aquarium. Gosh, it's on the tip of my tongue... that will drive me crazy, thanks!

EvilMel
01/21/2004, 08:26 PM
Oh that's cool then. As long as I know WHERE he/she got it from.

So now I will just order them online.

Thanks alot!
Mel

Sir Knight
01/21/2004, 10:30 PM
Mel,
That wasn't what I was trying to do (Aquarium vs. The Coral Reef)

When I buy it's based on price and quality (named brands with a proven track record).

I could buy 10lbs (min. order) of food online at really goods prices, but I need to get away for a couple of hours.

I think Premium Aquatics is selling the pH solution for .99 each.

Just an FYI, I am not a member of the club (ETRC) so I don't support any local store. :D

I just received some livestock yesterday from Reefer madness (RC sponsor) and all I can say about this place is WOW!

The fish are not placed in holding tanks they are picked directly from the wholesalers/importers tanks and packaged and shipped. This prevents any additional stress from another holding places like a retail outlet. The fish I requested weren't even on their fish list but, they got them for me and they are doing great (eating, etc.)
:beer:

EvilMel
01/21/2004, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah Joe, I totally didn't think you were trying to get into that.

I never thought that at all.

Even, people in the club are totally free to support whatever store they want to, much less people who aren't in the club.

I just didn't want everyone thinking that *I* was trying to get into that. Know what I mean?

I fully support everyone's right to disagree and go to whatever store they want (or to just buy online).

I'll check out Reefer Madness. Do they sell retail or are you still reaping the benefits of wholesaleness? hah hah.

Mel

Sir Knight
01/21/2004, 10:47 PM
Mel,
No Problems.
I know you didn't think that. I just didn't want anyone else that was reading this post to think that I was a supporter of one local store vs. the other. I believe as you, everyone has the right to spend their money anywhere they want and is free to make their own judgments as where to buy, either local or online.

Reef madness is an online retail outlet

:beer:

EvilMel
01/21/2004, 10:55 PM
Great!

I checked it out and they did not have a huge selection of fish.

Plus I didn't see many gobies at all, and I pretty much a tiny fish kind of person. So it's pretty much gobies exclusively for me.

Yes I have a huge tank and all I want in it is tiny (<1") fish, with the exception of the ones I have now. Everyone always laughs at me. Before I got a tang everyone used to not even notice that I had fish in the tank. hah hah.

Mel

Sir Knight
01/22/2004, 04:32 PM
Mel,
Just an FYI the pH solution is 0.79 at the Aquarium. I know you don't shop there, but I said I would let you know. Also they are not the Pin point pH solutions they are Milwaukee pH solutions
I have not used these so I don't know how actuate they are, I have only used pinpoint with my meter. Milwaukee Instruments does make a pH meter but again I can’t comment on them

easttn
01/23/2004, 09:24 AM
Evil Mel,

Not trying to hijack the thread....but, have you looked here for fish:

Fish Store (http://www.themarinecenter.com/)

Huge selection, but just like any other place on the net...shipping will kill you. I bought a copperband butterfly from them before I found out about Joes Juice (Aiptasia control). Fish was very well packed, and very healthy when she arrived. I say she because she was waayy too beautiful to be a male. :D

On the other hand, I only go online for stuff as a last resort anymore. I try to feed my habit by supporting my favorite LFS's. There's too many little things I need from week to week and not having those guys around. It would be the end of my addiction if they closed.

EvilMel
01/23/2004, 01:46 PM
So I checked out that site and they don't have the green banded gobies I want. Everyone knows I am dying to order those little fish. They do have one other that I want though.

They even have the yasha hashe goby I would love to have but it's $49, woo wee. Too much for me to pay (not sure about prices other places, I just can't pay that much now).

Yeah I agree supporting your LFS is really great. I try to as much as possible, unfortunately I never have alot of money and when I do I need to maximize what I buy with it.

I have not bought fish online in a couple of years, but I am going to soon. Hopefully everyone will still want to buy something with me.

Also, at liveaquaria.com you get free shipping on orders over $175. That's prety cool.

Mel

awcurl
01/23/2004, 09:28 PM
Mel, I've got calibration fluid 4.0, 7.0 and 10.0 about a quart of each if you would like some I'll share. I had to order new solutions for our lab at work and was given the older solutions. We replace all solutions every year so these aren't that old.

Art

EvilMel
01/24/2004, 10:17 AM
Hey Art,

Do you (or does anyone else) know why we aren't supposed to reuse the pinpoint calibration solutions? It specifically says on the package not to reuse it. I wonder if it's an evaporation issue or if it's an "we can get you to buy more" issue.

I have them in sealed containers and am going to check on them in a couple of months. Yeah I would be glad to get some of that from you Art. I just don't need it right now.

Can I let you know when I do? And how are you keeping them from evaporating?

Mel
ps We also have these at our lab, but I don't think they are replaced often enough.

awcurl
01/24/2004, 10:39 AM
All I do is close the container. The reason for no reuse is to eliminate the possibility of cross contamination. Evaporation isn't a problem as long as you store it in an air tight container.

Art

EvilMel
01/24/2004, 10:42 AM
Ok, so I am just going to reuse these solutions for a bit. I always rinse the probe before I put it into another solution, so that should not be a problem for me.

Thanks
Mel

cee
02/04/2004, 04:47 PM
Milwaukee equipment is widely used in the agricultural industry, so should be reliable. I used their sol'n to calibrate my meter.