PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Purifier Refills for Sale

Brian Prestwood
01/21/2004, 11:24 AM
We still have plenty of TWP refills. They are $10 each.

nchimera
02/05/2004, 11:05 AM
Can you give me some info on these?
I am in NY- will you ship some?

Thanks.

thereefgeek
02/05/2004, 03:00 PM
Brian, save me two and I'll pick them up at the Feb meeting. I've eliminated the RO on my filter and am only using DI, so I may be using the resin quicker now. Guess I'll have to get a TDS or conductivity meter now.

Brian Prestwood
02/05/2004, 03:40 PM
Rich

We've got plenty of TWP refills left. I'll bring several to the February meeting.

Larry has a conductivity meter that he might be willing to loan you on occasion. Perhaps the club should buy one.

sagitariuscbc
02/05/2004, 03:57 PM
Brian I mentioned we had these left on BARE's thread, some people might want them at the swap!

headshrink
02/05/2004, 11:17 PM
How do the resins work? Do you just pour it into an empty carterige, or is there more to it than that?

Brian Prestwood
02/05/2004, 11:50 PM
headshrink

Yep, that's pretty much it. Mix the resins together and poor them in.

thereefgeek
02/06/2004, 02:56 PM
For your full size canister, Kent Marine makes a cartridge you can fill with just about anything. I have a couple I fill with carbon or resin or phosphate media. The white bottom unscrews and in goes the resin. Take the two ions, mix them up real well in the supplied gallon zip-lock bag, and pour it in. If you already have a comercial DI cartridge, you can pry the bottom off the cylinder and refill with new media as well. Champion Lighting (which has started donating to our raffles this year) has the refillables for $14.95. www.championlighting.com

thereefgeek
02/06/2004, 03:01 PM
If you don't have DI on your RO, you can add another canister then get the resin from the club to fill the cartridge posted above.
$24.99 at C.L. also

barebottoms
02/06/2004, 03:53 PM
On refill carts, I find it cheaper to buy a GAC cart and dump out the carbon for DI than it is to buy the refillable carts. Go figure.

So the refill kits MARS has is Carbon with Cation and Anion all seperate?

What kind of carbon?

I'm asking in preparation for media people might need for the DIY RO/DI threads.

RustySnail
02/07/2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by sagitariuscbc
Brian I mentioned we had these left on BARE's thread, some people might want them at the swap!

BARE also has several refill kits (purchased from MARS) available to sell...

Brian Prestwood
02/07/2004, 06:01 PM
barebottoms

Yes, our kits include 1.5 cups of anion, 1.5 cups of cation and 1 cup of GAC. We kept the resins seperate because we thought we might want to recharge the resin. Seperating mixed resin is the hardest part of the recharging process.

Turns out the materials to recharge cost as much as the resin so separate components wasn't really necessary. Also the resin works better if it is mixed.

We bought a cubic foot each of: anion, cation & GAC. Each TWP holds about four cups of material. Three cubic feet makes about 120 refill kits. We still have around 45 left. We put the resin in plastic bags with a little water to keep them the resin from drying out. Drying out will ruin it.

Most of our members have DI canisters, not TWPs. Next time we're buying a cubic foot of premixed resin and no carbon. GAC is easy to find. Those with TWPs can supply a cup of their own GAC.

We purchased the resin and GAC at Resin Depot...

www.resindepot.com

APS Water is a subsidiary of Resin Depot. The GAC page is at...

http://www.apswater.com/page133.html

I'm not sure which carbon they recommended. I think it was the coconut shell. Ask them.

headshrink
02/07/2004, 09:08 PM
How exactly do they work?

headshrink
02/07/2004, 09:09 PM
What is the difference between a TWP and RO/DI? I have a RO/DI, so I know what that is... so what is a TWP.... just RO?

sagitariuscbc
02/07/2004, 10:37 PM
Actually it is DI water.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Tap Water Filter(TWPurifier or TWP or TWF) is a counter top no waste water filter. You can find them for $30 or so. Really only good for smaller tanks. It holds the resins and carbon. You are better off with your RO/DI. HTH
BTW I have one. Water out of my tap tests around 350ppm and after was 17ppm. This is still to high though.

headshrink
02/08/2004, 12:18 AM
So are the refill units that MARS sells good for my RO/DI unit too or no?

sagitariuscbc
02/08/2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by thereefgeek
For your full size canister, Kent Marine makes a cartridge you can fill with just about anything. I have a couple I fill with carbon or resin or phosphate media. The white bottom unscrews and in goes the resin. Take the two ions, mix them up real well in the supplied gallon zip-lock bag, and pour it in. If you already have a comercial DI cartridge, you can pry the bottom off the cylinder and refill with new media as well. Champion Lighting (which has started donating to our raffles this year) has the refillables for $14.95. www.championlighting.com

Yes, you will just use the resins.

Check out this thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313607