PDA

View Full Version : Sump design ?

Brandt
01/20/2004, 06:19 PM
I plan on using a AGA 29 gallon tank for my sump. Going to get some glass cut @ Lowes for baffles. First section will have my overflow from tank with my skimmer, then a set of baffles, fuge
another set of baffles with a place for filter pad and carbon and then my return pump. Does this sound okay, I have a 3-d autocad model of it but have no idea how to post it. Thanks for the help.

imsqueak
01/20/2004, 07:15 PM
Brandt,
sounds "correct" as "correct" goes, since many varieties work. Main point IMO is keep the skimmer as far from the return pump as possible to help keep down bubbles in the display tank. And if your putting in a filter pad, get used to cleaning it every couple days to keep it from becoming a nitrate factory. I've found an unorthodox method which I hadnt read about but tried and it worked: angle the last baffle so the water cascades into the return vs drops water over the baffle into the return which creates bubbles in the last place you want them~again JMO.

Where were you and your autocad when I needed my stand designed by someone with structural integrity? Just kidding. But can I sent you an email of my stand design (when I get it) for you to review? It's being designed in a-cad by a friend in Ft Lauderdale. I think having a real structural designer check it out would give me much better confidense since it will be about 4000lbs full.

Brandt
01/20/2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Hey, I would be more then happy to take a look. I have seen several pics of stands on this forum that I would question. I drew my room dividing wall with tank inside all in 3-d, really helped with buying material and construction.

SmartWrasse
01/20/2004, 09:25 PM
Similar to mine... I used acrylic from HD that I cut with a rotozip (pretty rough) but sealed this in well with lots of aquarium silicone adhesive. I also did not put a baffle before my return pumps.

Brandt
01/21/2004, 06:12 AM
I planned on making the lower baffles about 10" tall then putting the skimmer on a stand to run it in about 7" to 8" of water. The skimmer will be a Euro-Reef ES5-3, they say to run them in 6" to 8" of water. I figured having the filter pad and carbon inbetween the last set of baffles would help with the bubbles. Should I toss out the filter pad idea?

My tank is a 75 gallon, I figure if I loss 2 1/2" of water from the main tank (9.5 gallons), I have about 8" of area left in sump which gives me about 11 gallons of overflow area. The sump dim are 30 1/4"x12 1/2"x18 3/4". This sump is not going to leave me much room under my tank.

SmartWrasse
01/21/2004, 08:32 PM
I would probably be too lazy to change out a filter pad. Have seen some people say not to do a mechanical filtration there because it may prevent pods from be blasted into the display tank. Can go either way with filter pad.

Good thinking to plan for power outage /overflow into sump. Also, allow enough size in your return pump chamber so that the return pump will not run dry with minimal evaporation.

imsqueak
01/21/2004, 09:20 PM
You also need to consider that your going to have to pull that skimmer out for cleaning. My biggest mistake with my first sump was making it too tall (I was considering power outage more than functionality). I couldnt fit my arm inside my sump, much less take out a in-sump skimmer. What's the height of the under tank space?

My buddy isnt answering his phone now, he must not have the plans finished and doesnt want to tell me it's not after promising Monday, then Tuesday, now nothing on Wednesday. I was hoping on cutting everything Sunday afternoon. Well, when I get it, I will send it to you for your additional input. Thanks!

Brandt
01/22/2004, 05:56 AM
Under side of tank is 3', but door opening is 20 1/2", bottom of door is about 6" for floor. Just doing some rought measurements I have about 6 " from top of sump to top of door opng. Will be tight getting things in and out of cabinet with sump installed.

Brandt
01/22/2004, 07:28 PM
What to do? Should I go with the shorter skimmer (ES5-2, rated for 75 gal) and have a fuge with longer & taller sump. Or go with shorter & not as tall sump with taller skimmer (ES5-3, rated for 90 gal). I'm concerned that it might be difficult to get the taller skimmer out of my cabinet with the larger sump. This is for a 75 gallon tank.

I have tried to post a pic of my tank wall, but keep getting a error message that RC server is having problems. I have this feeling that I am doing something wrong.

imsqueak
01/22/2004, 11:09 PM
Brandt, You're probably not doing anything wrong when trying to post a pic. I've replied to posts and been told the server is too busy too many times! Ticks me off since the msg is gone and I have to retype it.

I'm not familiar with the design or dims of the ES skimmers. My MRC has ability to breakdown at the center so my low clearance will not be an issue. It's sitting next to me because I was designing my plumbing and stand height and your post got me thinking.

I dont understand your logic shorter skimmer, taller sump. Taller sump = less room to get ANY skimmer out. You have enough room to tilt it over as it is. You just gota be sure when it's tilted to 90*, you can get it out by considering the base's dims and the space btwn the top of sump and bottom of tank (or maybe it breaks-down in the middle like mine. you'd still have to consider the base and sump height for when you have to completely pull it out 1-2-3 times a year(?).

I feel your planning pain. I have lots of them these days. No work is getting done because I want to PLAN it correctly the first time. I think it's getting to the point of being unproductive.

No, no stand plans yet! Supposed to be tomorrow-he works on Cuban time (always late). Do you use A-cad 2000? He said you'd have to have this or some kinda desktop manager tool to view the plans in A-cad format. I told him to email non-cad, and cad type just in case.

Sir Knight
01/23/2004, 12:47 AM
Hi Brandt,
I have just one comment for you. Go with the biggest skimmer you can. Keep the nutrients down thru skimming. Don't under size you skimmer for your application. Remember tank size doesn’t determine skimmer size bio load does. I have a 300 gallon tank and I am running one MR2 I will be adding a second MR2 because of my load

hope this helps:beer:

Brandt
01/23/2004, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. The both have a 9"X9" base, I only have about 7" from top of sump to underside of door. Wonder if is possible to disconnect the pump for removal? I am getting tired of planning & reading, information overload. I told my wife all I,m doing is planning on equipment, have no idea about what kind of marine life I want to put in my tank. Guess that will come later, I'm not in a hurry or have enough funds to run out and pay for everything at once.

I have Acad 2000 at home, if you find that you need to modify anything I could fix it here, or at work (don't tell anyone), might be quicker than sending back and forth to cuba.

easttn
01/23/2004, 02:17 PM
Brandt,

I'm in the process of planning my 180. Would you be willing to draw out the design in acad for $$ or something wet? If so please email candhowens@earthlink.net,
Thanks, Charles

Brandt
01/23/2004, 04:44 PM
Charles,

Sent you a e-mail, would be more than happy to try and draw your setup in Acad.

easttn
01/23/2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks man, check your email. If you go to MY RC at the top of the page and under edit options change your setting to allow PMs we can converse quicker. But you may have it disabled for a reason. No matter Thanks!

Brandt
01/23/2004, 07:40 PM
I have been trying to attach some pics of my wall, but keep getting error messages. Pics are less than 40k. Can I e-mail these to someone that can post them. Thanks

Sir Knight
01/23/2004, 10:24 PM
you can email them to me and I will try to post them