PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo Local Forum This Liverocks!!!!

OceanNwisconsin
01/20/2004, 06:13 PM
Hi, ill welcome myself in!

well hello marty how DO you do!
im great besides multipersonality disorder that seems to be kicking in right now... well go take your meds...

ahhh much better..

anyways... stumbled on this forum in my quest for more and more knowledge of saltwater tanks, i understand from the one post up there that you have meetings and newsletters?? well sign me up mblock1@charter.net

a little background:

used to have 45 gallon FOSW yep no live rock i was ignorant.. anyways the tank actually did quite well i had frequent water changes and changed filter media often, well i had to move and i didnt really want to set up a tank in my new place so i gave it to my brother...

now i come across a 110 gallon at a steal of a deal so i get back into it... and lemme tell you it is much more fun setting up a new tank after you done all the newbie mistakes(well im sure i still make some here and there, no one is perfect) but im back in full force and this time im stepping up my game as far as gettin live rock and making it a true ocean in wisconsin.

right now i have 15 lbs of FIJI and looking for a local deal (so hint hint if anyone is selling some or know of somewhere to get some localy for a steal of a deal let me knoW) i dont want to buy online cause i dont have the place to cure it or the proper equipment... tank has been setup for 3 weeks and i have 1 stripped damsel (3 stripes- i like parenthesis in case you havent noticed) 2 domino damsel and one blue finned damsel.. and one decorator crab ( he is the ugliest creature in the world) and 3 tiny blue legged hermit crabs..

i reside in janesville as a UAW autoworker.. i dont have any questions now besides where to find cheap high quality LR locally.. but i will in the future!

Ereefic
01/20/2004, 08:09 PM
Hey Ocean, i'm in Janesville too. Now I finally know someone in Janesville with a tank. Woohooooo!!!!

The next meeting is this sunday in Madison 6pm. PM me your e-mail and i'll get you on the mailing list.

Glad you found us.

OK, you got your e-mail on there, Duh!! I'll send you the info on the next meeting.

OceanNwisconsin
01/20/2004, 09:56 PM
cool cool!! where do you your "shopping'??? preferred pets is where i do most of mine, but i bought my LR from Animart in madison... give me all your secrets!

btw

age?
occupation?

im 24

Ereefic
01/20/2004, 10:15 PM
Not so much at Preferred anymore. We go up to madison to Aquarium Superstore, Aquatic Specialties or Animart.

Mafor equipment purchases are on-line. Some drygoods, depending on what it is we'll get from Preferred. But there pretty expensive.

buiryn
01/21/2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ereefic
Not so much at Preferred anymore. We go up to madison to Aquarium Superstore, Aquatic Specialties or Animart.

Mafor equipment purchases are on-line. Some drygoods, depending on what it is we'll get from Preferred. But there pretty expensive.

I've only been to Animart once, and I wasn't real impressed with them.

Aquatic Specialties do have a lot of nice fish.

I've lived in/around Madison for a long time, and I don't recall a Aquarium Superstore around. Where is it?

The place I usually go is Pet World off of Fish Hatchery/Beltline. Too bad they don't have many salt water fish anymore.

Most major purchases I go to Dr Foster and Smith up in Rhinelander. Normal UPS ground is 2 days.

Buiryn

Ereefic
01/21/2004, 12:54 PM
Aquatic Superstore is right off Gammon Rd. Coming from the east, take the beltline to Gammon Rd. Exit. Turn Left. There's a gas station at the first light, go straight and turn right in the first driveway. It's a strip mall. Aquarium Superstore is right next to the burrito as big as your head place.

buiryn
01/21/2004, 10:29 PM
Aquatic Superstore is right off Gammon Rd. Coming from the east, take the beltline to Gammon Rd. Exit. Turn Left. There's a gas station at the first light, go straight and turn right in the first driveway. It's a strip mall. Aquarium Superstore is right next to the burrito as big as your head place.

Now I know where you're talking about. I couldn't remember the name. They have a good selection of fish, but I would never buy major dry goods from them. Every time I go in there, I get a chuckle when I see the price of Fluval 404 for $250 when they're less than $100 online. There's supporting your LFS and then well.... you know what I mean... :eek2:

Buiryn

Ereefic
01/22/2004, 04:05 PM
Did you two get the e-mails I sent? Just wanna make sure.

OceanNwisconsin
01/22/2004, 07:05 PM
i have got NO emails from ya!

Ereefic
01/22/2004, 07:34 PM
Just sent it again Ocean.

buiryn
01/25/2004, 02:34 PM
Did you two get the e-mails I sent? Just wanna make sure.

Yep, I got the email. My girlfriend and I will be there tonight.

See everyone there!

Buiryn

OceanNwisconsin
01/25/2004, 03:24 PM
unfortunatly i wont be able to come.. :( ill try to make the next one... wish i woulda found this forum sooner!

MiddletonMark
01/27/2004, 05:30 PM
Let me know if you still need LR ... there's a guy in Milwaukee area selling LR from his 120 he's taking down [selling tank too] ... but that's probably the cheapest route for LR [like $3.50 a # or something] ... not sure what's left

buiryn
01/28/2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
Let me know if you still need LR ... there's a guy in Milwaukee area selling LR from his 120 he's taking down [selling tank too] ... but that's probably the cheapest route for LR [like $3.50 a # or something] ... not sure what's left

I emailed him, as of Tuesday, he only had 52 lbs left, and it was fairly small/non-interesting peices.

Buiryn

MiddletonMark
01/28/2004, 09:42 AM
Well, I guess just keep an eye out. This sort of thing seems to spring up from time to time ...

Otherwise I'd just ask around the more senior folks at LFS - see if you can get a bulk rate [I've been quoted one here] ... as well as talk about buying a box of it from them on their next LR order ... maybe they can just hold one for you and give you a better price as they don't need to touch it - just add 1 box on their order and hold it.

buiryn
01/28/2004, 09:56 AM
I was thinking of ordering a 85 box of Figi show size from LiveAquara, or one of the other on-line retailers.

Too many options for where to buy from.

Buiryn

MiddletonMark
01/28/2004, 10:08 AM
You can always drive down to Premium Aquatics [Indy] who has VERY nice rock and choose it yourself [IMO the best option ... plus to get a variety of types]

Or else call harboraquatics.com who are in northern Indiana who have rock I've heard is quite amazing too ... need to schedule w/ them to go get it - but IMO for a large tank to get large nice pieces you are best off going for a couple hour drive and picking it all out yourself.

Both these places IMO would have fairly competitive rates once you factor in shipping ... plus picking it yourself IMO is a HUGE plus.

OceanNwisconsin
01/28/2004, 05:36 PM
burinyn if you are ordering in bulk let me know... maybe we can go in together and split the bill or something... let me know!

MiddletonMark
01/28/2004, 05:38 PM
I'd still be recommending the drive to Harbor, or Premium ... I can't but help think that as you're going to look at the rock day in and day out for many years - best to get the coolest and best shaped pieces you can.

Just my two cents, though.

buiryn
01/29/2004, 09:49 AM
Harbor could be doable if I had other things going on in the area. It's a four hour drive for me one way. Premium Aquatics is almost a seven hour drive. I think I would make the drive to pick out corals, but I'm not so sure 8 hours in a car to pick up rock is in my future.

Right now I'm thinking of going with http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/door/ They have semi-cured and fully cured rock they will hand pick out for you then ship it air freight. The curing times on those shouldn't be as bad as uncured rock, but that type they don't hand pick. I know it's not the same as picking it out yourself, but I'm really happy with the LiveAquara Tonga rock I already ordered.

Ocean, how much rock were you looking for? I'm looking for 70-90 lbs of more rock so I would be buying a full box. Dr Mac doesn't lower the uncured rock price until you get to four 90lb boxes. (That's a lot of rock!!)

Buiryn

MiddletonMark
01/29/2004, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a good plan ... I've heard good things of Dr. Mac & his rock.

OceanNwisconsin
01/29/2004, 09:23 PM
yea i dont think ill be gettin 270 lbs of LR! i wold like to get 50-70 more LBs.. i know i need 110 total by the books but i dont want an reef aquarium or an aquarium full of rocks

MiddletonMark
01/29/2004, 09:50 PM
So you're just going for fish only?

OceanNwisconsin
01/29/2004, 09:57 PM
i dont want to just say fish only... it is to vague... basically no corals or fragile inverts.. just getting the LR for hiding places and to add natural color,

buiryn
01/30/2004, 10:49 AM
Ocean,

For that amount of live rock, you could go down to Aquatic Specialties off of Universty Ave (in madison) and buy it there. They give price breaks the more you buy. It'll save you the hassle of buying it online. The more you buy, the more it makes sense to buy online vs local. Of course, it'll cost more, but at least you get the look you're looking for.

For a fish only tank, I would suggest Tonga branch for live rock. The branching rock would make great caves and archways for the fish to swim in/around.

Buiryn

MiddletonMark
01/30/2004, 10:56 AM
They've had some branch rock at Animart [not to really hype them] ... they're starting to run lower on it [less big/cool pieces] ... but as that stuff can be hard to find - figured it's a good FYI.

OceanNwisconsin
01/30/2004, 08:47 PM
thanks for the info guys! i gotmy fiji from animart and wasnt to pleased about the tonga ill check out that other place tho!

MiddletonMark
01/30/2004, 09:50 PM
I'd also check Aquarium Superstore. They'll give bulk prices ... have fiji recently. Think they just got some in ... haven't been impressed recently with Aquatic Specialties rock [they normally sell out of the nice stuff quick ... but from time to time both these places have it good].

OceanNwisconsin
01/31/2004, 12:04 AM
where is aquarium superstore? i live in janesville so not very familar with madison..

MiddletonMark
01/31/2004, 05:00 AM
Superstore is off 12/18 at Gammon Road.

Head south on Gammon right past the light [watts road] and it's in the strip-mall on the right hand side.

SW is in back.

Let me know a little ahead of time if you're going that way ... I work right down the road - and normally stop to see what they have once or twice a week ... and thus can survey what's in stock right now. I did see Live Rock boxes there Thursday so they must have some ... but they've been stocking a lot less than they used to. Fiji rock, not sure if the aquacultured but doubt it.

OceanNwisconsin
01/31/2004, 09:03 PM
sweeeet ill let you know... it will probably be in the next couple weeks if the finances plan out!

buiryn
02/03/2004, 10:00 AM
This past weekend I was in aquarium superstore and had them order me two 46lb boxes of Fiji. They order them on Wednesday for Thursday delivery.
The price of the live rock was pretty good but you have to buy a bunch of it to make it close to online prices. They're basically setting aside two of the boxes for me. I figured this would save me the time waiting for Fedex or driving to the airport in Madison to pick up rock so it was worth it.

Buiryn

OceanNwisconsin
02/03/2004, 05:49 PM
mind if i ask how much total?

lonny akins
02/03/2004, 07:39 PM
have you considered TampaBay Saltwater their rock looks better than anything that Ive seen

OceanNwisconsin
02/03/2004, 09:07 PM
well post a link dood!

OceanNwisconsin
02/03/2004, 09:09 PM
nm found it

www.tampabaysaltwater.com

buiryn
02/03/2004, 09:28 PM
Ocean, check your PM's

MiddletonMark
02/03/2004, 09:42 PM
If you're not looking this instant for LR ... I'd keep an eye out around town.

Got some great Tonga branch last summer ... and amazing Marshall Islands stuff [aquatic spec.] early last summer. As Marshall Isl. is now exporting schleractians [rock-based corals and LR] again for the last few weeks - maybe they'll get some in. Best stuff I've seen them carry.

Anyway - my 2 cents.

OceanNwisconsin
02/20/2004, 04:37 PM
ok im in the mraket for some LR like right now!! so if anyone has some or knows where to get some good stuff.. (lower cost would be nice too) let me know!!! thanks in advance!

marty

Ereefic
02/21/2004, 12:07 PM
www.reefsupply.com has Walt Smith Fiji Rock (Cured) for $3.80 a pound. There down in Maple Park, IL. About 1.5hrs from Janesville. We just went there yesterday and grabbed some rock. Decent rock, can't beat the price AND you get to pick and choose what you want (shapes and size).

Pretty good if you have the time to go down there, save on shipping, less die off. Check it out.

Make sure you call first to make sure there there.

OceanNwisconsin
02/21/2004, 04:36 PM
wow thats a great deal!!! id like to go tommorow ill call to see if anyone is there... did you get any hitchhikers with your rock?