PDA

View Full Version : Glasscages tanks

Ball
01/20/2004, 01:37 PM
Anyone have one of these of have seen them? How is the quality? The tanks are cheap, but it costs $75 to ship them here. Just wondering what everyones experiance with them is and if its worth it to pay the shipping to get one. Thanks.

Ball
01/20/2004, 06:00 PM
http://www.glasscages.com

Coralfreak
01/20/2004, 06:12 PM
They are good quality tanks, but shipping glass is risky.

Allen

HOC
01/20/2004, 06:20 PM
I recently purchased a 360 gal. It cost me over 200 for shipping, and they broke the tank. The quality is not the best. I had holes drilled that are chipped out past the bulkheads. The trim is VERY cheap. My overflows were supposed to be black, but came in a marble looking grey color..Very ugly. He said they don't have the black I ordered, but Coralfreaks tank had black. The tank is very overbuilt, which is one good thing. I like the design of the tank, the quality is just not there. I'd stick with Oceanic or AGA for anything that's not custom. But their custom tanks are very expensive. I'd rate my experience 3 out of 10.

Ball
01/20/2004, 06:39 PM
Hmm. Two completly different views. That doesnt help. I wish I could see one in person.

HOC
01/20/2004, 06:41 PM
Where you located? You can come look at mine. It's in Cedar Rapids.

Coralfreak
01/21/2004, 12:59 AM
You're more than welcome to come check it out.

I will agree the trim is not the best, in my case it doesnt matter as the tank is "in wall" and you will never see it, of course depending on design, a stand and canopy can also cover that. From talking to HOC, it does sound like the holes were pretty badly chipped, mine were not, the gaskets on the bulkheads have a good seal, and so far nothing has leaked:) I would also agree that if I had received those weird marble overflow covers, I would not have been happy. I really almost think you could get one locally for around the same price though. They are $150, plus $75 in shipping, plus if you want an overflow and any holes drilled, you would be around $275. You'll also have the added benefit of it not getting broken in shipping.

Allen

HOC
01/21/2004, 11:35 PM
I guess I should add If I had to do it all over again, I'd still order the tank. Prob just picked it up myself (in Tenn) and refused the ugly overflow covers. The price was Ok for what I got. Not everyone will make a tank this big and get it to you as fast as he does. As Allen stated though, you'd be better off finding that size tank local. Unless you want some custom things done.