PDA

View Full Version : hello all, new to this hobby

CASHCRZZY
01/19/2004, 08:02 PM
I am very new at this still dry behind the ears, and have alot of questions I have not started anything yet still reading and shoping.
Iwould like to start a 55+gal tank system (no larger than 100 gal,for now) what do you more experianced hobiests think about buying a used system to start ?? how much time do you think you invest, shopping ,setting up, playing with,maintaining your systems, as you can see in profile wife is expecting twins ,my free time will be getting very slim come july. but i would love to get something going . i was looking at the live reef and live sand products at http://www.tbsaltwater.com/ and was wondering if these kind of things can be bought locally . i have alot of questions to ask probally mind blowing :eek1: but dont want to start something that i wont be able to finish or keep alive :cool:
thanks for any advice " Greg"

Scout
01/19/2004, 10:03 PM
You REALLY need to get involved with our club.

1st off, take your time and research. We all have boxes in our basements with "juke" we bought when first getting started. The better equipment does cost more. You'll save money in the long run by setting it up right the first time.

Also, IMO, bigger is better. Smaller tanks have bad things happen faster. You said in your post 55 or maybe up to 100. I'd get as close to 100 as possible. You'll also have more options in choosing the fish for you tank.

My first year I was messing with the tank almost every weekend. With you twins arriving soon, maybe you'd be happier starting off as a fish only and moving up to a reef when you life gets somewhat settled in.

As to getting new or used, it just depends on what equipment your talking about.

HTH
Mike

JJM
01/20/2004, 06:38 AM
your doing things right , researching , asking questions , etc....stop by and check us out , I am sure you'll meet some good people , who will chat salt with you all night ,.....Everybody has spare parts , etc ,...I just set up a 10 ga holding reef tank out of spare parts , etc ,...and I am also looking for parts . The Club should turn out to be the venue we all need to help us along ,....Raffles, networking , info swap,speakers, wish list items for trading , selling ,....Probably wont be any shortage of advice on raising kids either !!!!!

JJM
01/20/2004, 06:41 AM
I have some 10 and 20 gallon tanks laying around , and a real nice stand for a 45 gallon , and parts , parts , parts,.......
and I got some parts !!!!!!

CASHCRZZY
01/20/2004, 09:08 AM
dont know if you watch the sale items in the news journal
but there is a 75 gal tank for sale for 275.00 going to look at it tonight . scout the reason i was thinking about a live sand, reef system was only from what i have seen in "pictures and in person " . it apears that the algi seems to be less in those setups.
i would asume the organisms in that system keep it cleaner .if i am wrong please tell me .

dvlhzdu
01/20/2004, 02:29 PM
I also agree to read and research before you jump in. I used TB for live rock when I set-up my 90g reef and it was great rock with lots of awsome growth and extras. Down side mantis shrimp.:eek1: Also would recommend getting involved with the club and maybe we can get a group together to make a purchase as volume is everything in getting a price break.

Scout
01/20/2004, 04:09 PM
cashcrzzy - It might seem that way. I would contend that most people with reefs have already made alot of their mistakes with other tanks. I've seen/heard alot of reefs that have algae problems too. I started out with a sterile FO (dead sand, dead corals) nothing alive in the tank but the fish. Ran that for almost 2 years and never had a algae problem. I not saying you can't jump right into a reef with the right knowledge. When we get this club off the ground, that will be a tremendous asset that I never had when I got started.

Mike

CASHCRZZY
01/21/2004, 01:13 AM
ok !! the "new to me " 75 gal ,used tank is in the clean up area ,looks as if it was only used for fw fish . i guess the next step is setting up sump !!
do i pay for wet/dry sump, and just use sump part of assy ? or use my 10 gal tank? do i need to set up baffle zones inside the 10 to defuse "microbubbles "before the
protein skimmer or am i off track ?? what size siphon overflow should i use on that tank ? are 2 over flows too much "overkill"?and is a prefilter nessary in the overflow? i am very strongly falling twards the LS/LR "filtration as in wet /dry not needed "
have been doing alot of reading and seems the best way to go in salt water ,,, at least im moving forward and have the tank. starting to get excited !!

jayke
01/21/2004, 07:37 AM
Hello,

I have a 72 gallon tank with a 20 gallon tank underneath it as a sump. My filtration consists of live rock and a protein skimmer. For bubble control, I set up a simple baffle system in my sump with a cheap filter sponge in it that I bought from a pet store. Make sure any sponges or baffle system you use is between the protein skimmer and your return pump. Most microbubbles in my system are caused by the skimmer's return.

I would size the overflow based on how much water you want to circulate through the sump. My filtration moves about 475-500 gallons per hour. Make sure you get a decent return pump, I personally like the mag drive pumps. Also, make sure you get a decent siphon overflow as well, mainly one that does not break the siphon (suction) after a power outtage.

My tank is drilled and has a corner overflow. I put a pre-fiter on the overflow as it helps a bit with the noise, not sure how this effects the siphon overflows though. I also have a prefilter on my return pump. Just need to take them out and rinse them from time to time.

Good luck setting it up, sounds like your going to have a nice system.

Jay

MadTownMax
01/22/2004, 08:55 PM
make sure you check out all the FAQ's for new reefers that are posted here on RC, if there are things you don't understand just post questions, you'll be sure to get some answers.

While your tank is cycleing for the first month, it will give you plenty of time to read through ReefCentral. You might also want to check out www.wetwebmedia.com, they seem a little more geared to the begginer.

the 75 G used setup may be O.K. to start with. But after getting it, you will probably wish you had something that has been drilled to run a sump underneath, it's just one of those things that you learn along the way.

I have found one person in the area that drills tanks for $60 (a little steep if you ask me most people on RC say they found local glass shops that drill tanks for ~$30, just haven't found one yet) got the info at William's greenbank.

After having a system for 3 years that was not drilled you might get really tired of looking at all the equipment hanging off the back.

one option for running without drilling is using siphon overflows, then hooking up an airline to a powerhead and running it to a hole that you make in the overflow tube that comes over the edge of the tank, this ensures that the tube keeps a siphon, otherwise if the siphon breaks (power outages), you're looking at some flooding issues :rolleyes:

I also have a 72 gal, with a rubbermaid container underneath for a sump, a "modified" 5 gallon bucket holding my skimmer (for a constant water level) and a couple sponges placed strategically for bubble control.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself here, but if you want to check out a setup (mine's not the best by any means, but it will give you some ideas), come on by and it will be much easier to explain in person, lol.

-Nick

dvlhzdu
01/23/2004, 10:33 AM
Cashcrzzy. Currently I use the LR/LS in my 90 with a skimmer, I am a firm beliver in skimming and all you need is a sniff of the product to know you don't want it in your tank. When I started it 18 months ago I went with the bio balls, easy way to get bacteria growing, later I pulled them and replaced with LR in the sump.

Looking forward to meeting, tuesady around 7, you all and putting names to the faces I see in the LFS. Your welcome to come over and see my set-up and the 90g under construction.

JJM
01/23/2004, 10:48 AM
Meeting is on Monday 2/2 @ 7:30, but Scout and I will be there around 7:15 at the Bear Library..We have the room until 8:45