PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Tap Water

adshuraj777
01/19/2004, 07:09 PM
http://www.nashville.gov/water/comtam2002.htm

Wondering how many local folks use tap water if any, as I understand it, nashville has one of the top sources in the country.

the abov elink is our water quality report, it's greek to me, anyone out there can translate?

wooglin
01/19/2004, 11:08 PM
It not bad. From my tap I get a reading of 149 TDS which while not desirable is not bad. THe biggest problem is silicates and phosphates. Nashville water is loaded with both. If you can deal with the algea, its not a big deal. Of course you can get a RO/DI unit now on ebay for about 80 bucks.

fishdoc11
01/19/2004, 11:19 PM
Nashville does have pretty good water, for drinking. When I have tested my tapwater for phosphate, which is one of the main things you want to keep out of your reef tank or dilute with water changes, I have gotten levels over 2ppm ( you want 0 ). Also the nitrate and copper readings look high. They are in mg/L and the values I know are in ppm and I'm not sure exactly how they translate but they look high. An RO or RO/DI filter is a good investment. I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear but if you just use tap water your algae problems will most likely never stop. A.C. sells RO water for 50 cents a gallon and pre mixed seawater for $1 a gallon ( watch the SG though its likely to be a little low 1.019 or so , you may need to add a little salt ). Sean may be able to sell you some at Ebay also, I've just never tried.

A. Critter Killer
01/19/2004, 11:22 PM
I have talked to Sonia at Metro Water, and she stated that Davidson Co., and the greater metropolitan area of Nashville has some of the best water suppy in the United States! Memphis being the best. A customer whom recently re-found me from after I sold his tank to him more than two years ago at AC, tested the phosphates from his water (Franklin) and a sample of "ro-di" from a LFS that shall remain nameless. Much to all of our surprise, there were not only phosphates in this purchased water, but the levels of phosphates were actually much higher than the water that came out of his faucet! 'Sounds like somebody needs to change out some membranes so that organics stop leeching back into their water supply. In Bellevue, at the store, it is rare that the phosphates ever reach measurable levels in my tanks or out of my sink! So I ask, what is the point of buying overpriced water that in all actuality not what you are led to believe it is? If you feel as though you DO need water that is much purer than it is ever found in a natural environment, I recommend that you either buy a small r/o unit or simply buy bulk deionized water from Sam's or Cosco's. If you choose to go this route, always make sure to put the proper reclaim chemistry chemicles back into the water, for LFS never have...because it becomes a lower profit margin! Save your money...get what you pay for! ----Sean

wooglin
01/19/2004, 11:31 PM
I would highly recomend against the premixed stuff from AQ, and would also recomend against the DI water they sell. It tested very high on my TDS meter. Also most the same as my tap. YOu can get a full RO/DI unit off ebay for 90 bucks that does 110 gallons per day, and will only require the replacement of about 30 dollars of filters per year. The membrane is good for 2-3 years. I get 1 TDS out of the RO section of my RO/DI, and 0 TDS out of the DI.

fishdoc11
01/19/2004, 11:34 PM
Well so I guess this conflicting info given by two well meaning hobbyists means you should probably test the phosphate level in your drinking water and if it's over 0 go get some out of Seans tap.

fishdoc11
01/19/2004, 11:38 PM
OK, I just assumed A.C.'s water was OK ( thats what I get for assuming ). It appears as though it is not. That is a real good price on a RO filter wooglin quoted.

wooglin
01/19/2004, 11:39 PM
I could have caught them when the filter needed replacing, but the real point is a RO/DI filter is so cheap why not?

Hre is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2373842233&category=20756

This is the unit I have. Very nice!!

Oldschooler
01/20/2004, 01:17 AM
OH... God... My eyes... hurt...

Must... stop... reading... FORUMS... and go... to... BED...

LOL...

Okay... I've finally stopped laughing @ fishdoc ("if your TDS is above zero get your water from Sean's tap")!!!!!!!!

My two cents... I have nothing against R.O./D.I. per se, I have simply ALWAYS felt that people aren't getting what they THINK they are paying for. MOST customers buy their over-priced water, and lug it across town to boot, without ever TESTING it, like some trusting child suckling from a nipple. I've personally got NUMEROUS stories from customers about tank crashes attributable, they believe, to messed up levels in water they've purchased. And to show I'm not just out to make a buck (Hey- I don't SELL water!), I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY agree with Woogie. If you want R.O., buy a unit and use it properly! Don't be scared! It's not THAT hard!

But it sounds a lot like someone eating sour grapes, doesn't it? Therefore, ignore everything in the paragraph above. Seriously. Don't even look up there. It's hogwash. Purely the ramblings of a cranky old fart. Disregard. I mean it...

... I'm NOT kidding.

...STOP it.

...Okay, now I'm getting angry.

....Aw, to heck with it.... I'm going to bed...

~Roberto

wooglin
01/20/2004, 08:04 AM
HAHAHA... You so funny Robert.

aquaman67
01/21/2004, 02:27 PM
He he...he he...he he, he said 'nipple'!

And that's the first time I've heard the Cumberland River described as one of the best water suppiles in the US.

That's where we pull our water from too, but I guess since we are at the end of the line and down stream from both Nashville and Clarksville...it makes a difference.