PDA

View Full Version : Any have a small pump for a Hang-on Skimmer

minfinger
01/18/2004, 04:58 PM
I got this hang on skimmer from the guy in NC and it didn't have a pump. My small Hagen pump doesnt do a good job of making small air bubbles. I guess a small Rio or something.

Or any ideas?

skipm
01/18/2004, 07:55 PM
CPRs and most other small skimmers that I have noticed use a Rio 600, the last time I was at Tideline Chris had a couple in stock. HTH, Skip
PS I don't have one that you can try out but maybe someone else here does, just to see if that is going to do it for you. Do you have any idea about the make of the skimmer you got?

minfinger
01/18/2004, 09:25 PM
I'd have to look at it. It looks just like every other hang on I've ever seen.

Aquarius Lady
01/18/2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by minfinger
I'd have to look at it. It looks just like every other hang on I've ever seen.

Mike,
I got one of those lil' Rio's that came with my intank CPR 'Fuge.
You want me to bring it to the meeting so you can try it out?

Aquarius Lady
01/19/2004, 12:00 AM
PS: It's not being used for anything but a 'Pod island. (IE: I'm not running it at the moment) ;)

skipm
01/19/2004, 01:41 PM
You need one of the Rios with the "RVT" suffix. This is their jargon for their venturi system that produces all of the small bubbles. HTH, Skip

PS Have you tried introducing air into your powerhead before the impeller? This is how the Rio makes fine bubbles.

minfinger
01/19/2004, 02:03 PM
Skip, now, the Hagens are after. I might see i i cna come up with something or maybe buy a Rio.

minfinger
01/19/2004, 07:57 PM
OK I drilled out the bottom of the Hagen pump and stuck the tube in the bottom. Good idea Skip :D

I'm just not sure if there's enough stuff in my water to make "skim" LOL

skipm
01/20/2004, 11:26 AM
I hope that it works out for you. I would hate having to buy an new pump when I already have one that I could use if it could be modified to do the job. Skip

minfinger
01/20/2004, 11:35 AM
I might have to "engineer" it so that it does blow bubbles inside the tank too. The Small Hagens have a square nozzle and the hard tube is round LOL

Brian@CPR
01/20/2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by skipm
You need one of the Rios with the "RVT" suffix. This is their jargon for their venturi system that produces all of the small bubbles. HTH, Skip

PS Have you tried introducing air into your powerhead before the impeller? This is how the Rio makes fine bubbles.

FYI: I'm not sure what other company's call it, but CPR calls the Venturi Rio with rejuvination the RV. T.A.A.M. (the maker of Rios) calls it PT for Power Twin. If you head to you LFS, look for a model ending in PT.

minfinger
01/20/2004, 07:55 PM
Hey, thanks for the info...

skipm
01/20/2004, 08:39 PM
Mike,
I have a 201 that still has the adapter that goes from square to round if you want me to bring it up. LMK, Skip

minfinger
01/20/2004, 09:11 PM
Hmm...Sounds good...Lets see if it fits, then we'll talk. I had to turn off the Hagen, it was putting to many micro bubbles in the tank.