PDA

View Full Version : SeaHorses

Izsabelle
01/18/2004, 12:04 AM
HI,

I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

I'm looking for seahorses and was wondering if anyone knew of a store that carries healthy seahorses? I would love to find some H.Erectus, wild or captive.

Thanks.

Photon
01/18/2004, 06:23 AM
I have seen seahorses at Exotic Aquarium in Sacramento and Aqualife Aquarium in Rocklin. I am not sure if they are wild or captive.
James

reefnovice
01/19/2004, 12:47 AM
They are wild. If you want captive bred seahorses, buy them online at Ocean Rider or try Premium Aquatics, Marine Depot, etc.

Izsabelle
01/19/2004, 01:33 PM
MDL is out till spring and OR is costly and has extremely poor customer service. So.. I guess I have to decide if I want to risk WC or just wait till MDL has a few in.

Thanks for helping me out. I just wish there was someone near me that bred seahorses.

reefnovice
01/19/2004, 02:06 PM
If you really want to try wild ones, make sure you have a steady supply of live food available. I recommend you should try to breed brine shrimp fortified with selcon, mysis shrimp, rotifiers (for larger seahorses), and ghost shrimp before you go and purchase the wild seahorses. They usually won't eat frozen, and they are very slow eaters. Make sure the only other fish you put them in are pipefish. They should really be in a species tank. Are you sure you want to go through all these troubles? If I were you, I would wait until one of the online companies have captive bred seahorses. They feed readily on frozen mysis shrimp. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Photon
01/19/2004, 04:26 PM
Try Premium Aquatics. They have great customer service. Ask for Jeremy.
I hope to set up a small captive bred seahorse tank in the near future. The less work in terms of feeding,,,,the better!

James

reefnovice
01/19/2004, 06:01 PM
Hi, James. Are you sure you want to do a seahorse tank? They require almost pristine water, yet they feed rather messy and require frequent feeding. I know someone who has captive-bred seahorses and he changes the water bi or tri-weekly. It is a lot of work! :(

Photon
01/19/2004, 06:25 PM
YUCK.....ok, too much work for me considering all of the other tanks I have to deal with.
Remember I want some of the blue zoos!!!
Thanks,
James

reefnovice
01/19/2004, 11:01 PM
Good. I had a seahorse tank at school and a kid in my fish club is supposed to take care of it. It winded up my responsibility and I had to use two more tanks just to raise the food for the seahorses and the babies. I will never do it again, it's just too much work.