PDA

View Full Version : New to reef

Brandt
01/17/2004, 07:19 PM
Hi,

New to the reef aquarium would like some info about your club. Tried to get on the website but can't seem to get on. I live out in Greenback, close to Maryville. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

llpoolej
01/17/2004, 07:30 PM
We had a reef club meeting today, at the coral reef. The next one will be at my house, in February. I think the website is down at the moment.

I am fairly new to everything too. Made lots of mistakes so far. I am in West Knoxville and there are a bunch of people from Maryville

Brandt
01/17/2004, 07:35 PM
Hey I saw were you guys had a meeting today. Would like to make the next one. I have a 75 gallon tank that was freshwater, but know empty. Saving up money and doing alot of reading to set it up for a reef tank.

stevensmd
01/17/2004, 08:05 PM
Sorry...you missed a great meeting today..looking forward to seeing you at the next meeting..
dave

EvilMel
01/18/2004, 11:30 AM
If you need help with your tank or what to do about getting it set up, just ask questions in this forum. Everyone is very helpful and willing to talk you through anything.

Mel

Brandt
01/18/2004, 07:44 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank inside a wall that divides two rooms. It was a African Cichlid tank, but have kept them for quiet some time and I'm ready to take the next step. I plan on a 29 gallon DIY sump with a Euro-reef ES5-3 skimmer. I plan on having a place for filter pad & carbon. I just order a Lifereef overflow and a Mag 9.5 return pump. Have egg crate in the bottom of my tank to help support live rock, also have some Carib Sea Aragonite sand 1-2mm dia. Only going to put about 1" of substrate and about 80 to 100lbs of live rock. Thought about getting a Coralife PC with (2) 65 watt Actinic and (2) 10000 k bulbs.

These are the main items I was thinking about. Please, I would love some suggestion, but I am on a budget. Wish I could afford the best of the best. Thanks for the help.

SmartWrasse
01/18/2004, 10:01 PM
Hi Brandt,

DIY sumps can work very well. For my 75 RR I use a 30g glass tank with two Mag 7 for returns. I use 2 return pumps now since these things often fail due to calcium carb precipitate or other things. My sump has a refugium. Many of us have halide lights but pc and fluoro's can work quite well.

Welcome ETRC, Mike

cee
01/20/2004, 12:12 PM
If anybody needs some used pumps, wet-dry sump, protein skimmer, metal halide ballast an socket, other misc. stuff, let me know. I have some extra stuff I'd be willing to part with for much less than you'd pay retail. Also, how do I "officially" join the club?

llpoolej
01/20/2004, 12:19 PM
I have a berlin skimmer, sump(I think that is spoken for though) and pretty soon I will have a remora Aqua C with prefilter box and 24" custom sea life PC lights. Got to move tanks first though.

EvilMel
01/20/2004, 12:43 PM
comminphora: Go to the easttnreefclub.com and fill out the membership sheet. Mail it to me or to Mike with $20 check made out to Mel Eldridge.

Then you are officially a member.

That's it.

Mel