PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic reef ready tanks (200G)

Omar H
01/17/2004, 01:25 PM
Last night while at the LFS I saw a 180 reef ready oceanic. I'm in love!

The thought has been in my mind for some time now, upgrading sooner than later from the current 125 to a 180-230. The 125 does not have a sump and now I want to try a tank with a sump, so those reef ready oceanics are really starting to make sense. I would not spend more than 1,000 on the tank itself, as everything else just keeps adding. Anyways to the question. I noticed that the 180 has the overflows centered instead of at the corners as I've usually seen them. The thought was that is probably the place where your MH will be more intense, so that in essence would have you lighting the overflow, nice if your want to grow things in that area! but I doubt it's what one really wants. So in the 200g reef ready oceanic, where are the overflows located? same as on hte 180? I know the 200g rr is a 7ft long tank, and that is really to my liking, as it's probably the largest tank I can put in the house without it dwarfing our living room and looking more like an indoor swimming pool.

As always in this hobby, I'd appreciate your comments on this tank (or others you feel might be a better option).

Omar :strooper:

John Brancheau
01/17/2004, 06:44 PM
I have just recently set-up a 180 aga with dual hyperflow overflows, initially, I had not liked the placement of the two , they are centered , not in the corners, but now that it is set-up, I think that this is not so bad, it will give me some creative ideas to aquascape. BTW, this is a in-wall project with a 70 gallon sump/fuge underneath.
As time goes on, I will better be able to tell you exactly what i think of them, but as I said, it seems that they work pretty good, I have also covered the rest of the back with a black background which really makes them less obvious.
Good luck .............

dieselfish
01/19/2004, 07:29 PM
I almost bought the oceanic RR 180, it is about 800$, the largest tank they make before they charge you custom prices. The oceanic 215 starts at 1200 before any drilling and overflows.

Then i found out that all glass just put out a new tank, 210 gallons. It is a few bucks cheaper than oceanic;s 180 and has 3 1/2 inches more height ,Looking at the two next to each other the desicion was clear. Also the oceanic has one big center brace in the middle of the tank and the overflows are big bulky and unapealing. I highly recomend you look into it.

Omar H
01/19/2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks, I just realized that and defintively avoiding the center glass brace is a plus for me. I've had 2 tanks with the center glass and it blocks a lot of light even when cleaned, now imagine what water from evaporation, salt spray, etc do to light transmission.

Thanks!

P.S. Plus All-Glass Aquariums is Oceanic's parent company!

Puffer Daddy
01/20/2004, 10:06 AM
By chance, have you seen the oceanic "brick" tanks?...i believe there 220 and no center brace. If I dont go custom builder, i will probably pick one of these up when i upgrade from my 150.

civil
01/20/2004, 12:54 PM
The oceanic 215 has no center brace, no euro bracing, no bracing at all. I helped set up this tank for someone and they are very nice. You can get it drilled or not, with or without trim. The glass is thick so the tank is heavy, my guess is over 500lbs empty. They are beautiful but expensive.

Omar H
01/20/2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Puffer Daddy
By chance, have you seen the oceanic "brick" tanks?...i believe there 220 and no center brace. If I dont go custom builder, i will probably pick one of these up when i upgrade from my 150.

Well no, i haven't, but thanks for the tip! Upgrading the tank is a project that I intend to have sometime within the next 2 years. so, there is plenty of time! :D

While I have looked at the dimensions, unfortunately Oceanic's website does not have detailed pictures of the tanks.

Thanks!

Omar :strooper:

Puffer Daddy
01/20/2004, 11:23 PM
Omar....

Take a look here..this is the oceanic site..you may have missed it as it's a little bit down, but go about 2/3's down the page and you'll see the "oceanic brick" tank dimensions....Hoped it helped!!:cool: http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products_dimensions.html

Omar H
01/22/2004, 10:35 PM
Puffer Daddy,

Thanks, I've seen the dimensions, What I would like to see is the actual tank. However, like i said before, I recently saw an 180 a the LFS and also saw some pictures of an AGA that someone posted in another thread.

Thanks for the info,

omar

snakedr
01/24/2004, 09:27 AM
I am in the process of upgrading my 120 to a Oceanic 7x2x2 "brick". My LFS is working with me on it and selling it to me for 'cost' which is a great deal. I was able to talk with Duane at Oceanic several times until he was able to build my tank just like I wanted it. It is going to have a back center mounted dual overflow with 4 holes, 2 at 1.5" and 2 at 1". The dimensions of the overflow is 17" x 6". Also I upgraded to 3/4" glass so it doesn't have any top bracing, which is a real plus for me. One word of information: Oceanic will not guarantee their tank if you do not buy their stand! No exceptions. Since I am getting both at cost, the stand didn't hurt so bad. I'll be glad to send pics as soon as it arrives, which should be in two weeks. Good Luck!
Tom H

xpyder
01/25/2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by snakedr
I am in the process of upgrading my 120 to a Oceanic 7x2x2 "brick". My LFS is working with me on it and selling it to me for 'cost' which is a great deal. I was able to talk with Duane at Oceanic several times until he was able to build my tank just like I wanted it. It is going to have a back center mounted dual overflow with 4 holes, 2 at 1.5" and 2 at 1". The dimensions of the overflow is 17" x 6". Also I upgraded to 3/4" glass so it doesn't have any top bracing, which is a real plus for me. One word of information: Oceanic will not guarantee their tank if you do not buy their stand! No exceptions. Since I am getting both at cost, the stand didn't hurt so bad. I'll be glad to send pics as soon as it arrives, which should be in two weeks. Good Luck!
Tom H

I'm thinking of upgrading too, same size of your tank. Would you mind if i ask how much you pay for both tank and stand?

snakedr
01/25/2004, 09:25 AM
xpyder: I sent you a PM.

xpyder
01/25/2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by snakedr
xpyder: I sent you a PM.

snakedr,

Thanks.

sumpinhabitant
02/12/2004, 10:12 PM
I LOVE my oceanic tank, very well built and sturdy. I could do without the center bracing myself, I have an in wall setup and cleaning the center of the tank is a real pain with that bracing there. However that's the ONLY drawback and givin the chance on getting another on for a good deal I woulden't pass it up

DH01
02/18/2004, 11:23 AM
i own a 200 gal oceanic reef ready 2 corner overflow and added
a 75 gallon oceanic sump underneath center braced
very nice if u would like pictures or more info let me know

NUBIANTANGLOVER
02/20/2004, 10:45 PM
I am also a proud owner of an Oceanic tank! I have a Oceanic 175 RR Bowfront complete system. It has dual corner overflows: (2) 1" & (2) 3/4". I am setting it up now! I love it! It is true that the tank is sturdy, AND heavy! I wouldn't trade it for nothing....except a bigger Oceanic. It is 72" long. With the stand, it stands at 72"tall too!