PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone earthquake proof their tanks?

Konadog
01/16/2004, 09:30 PM
If so, do you have any pictures of how they are strapped down. I have been thinking of just strapping the stand at the bottom of the aquarium.

JAGreef
01/20/2004, 10:23 AM
I was thinking about this as well ... tagging along.

nanocat
01/20/2004, 10:24 PM
Just curious but wouldn't an earthquake bad enough to move the tank, send all the LR into the glass anyway?

Konadog
01/20/2004, 10:51 PM
My stand is rather tall and with all that weight up top, a little sloshing and it may tip over. I have stood next to the tank during the Big Bear quake and the Northridge quake and wondered? but just lost water. In a real big quake, I think we would all have bigger problems. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it.

cali_reef
01/22/2004, 03:13 AM
I am glad we are moving to a no earthquake area. :)

Didn't notice any problem during the last quake, no water on the floor at all. I think the weight of the water, sand, and glass tank is too heavy to move vertically, my raised foundation would buckle in before the tank would move. I would be concern about the stand with all the weight on it if it was pushed side to side, maybe more bracing in the corners? Like how the building codes requires those earthquake straps on your floor beams.

DT's_Reef
01/22/2004, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure it's possible to earthquake-proof a tank against decent sized earthquakes. If your whole home jumps up a couple of inches suddenly, your tank's gonna go flying across the room.

I wonder if there's any difference between them holding up in terms of glass vs. acrylic. I'm not referring to if they fall over, just with seams splitting, etc.

I have 90 gal. tank but would love to get a larger one, but I figure since I live in Southern California, 90 gallons of water and animals on the floor is better than 180.