PDA

View Full Version : Regal Tank Withering Away

JamesB
07/21/2001, 09:38 PM
Okay, here's an opportunity to diagnose from afar.

The subject is a 4" regal (hepatus) tang. I've had it since Thanksgiving (about 8 months). As all regals seem to do, it got ich. I treated primarily with lots of Ocean Nutrition cubes and nori, soaked in a rotation of selcon, zoe, garlic, and ImmuneBoost. Everything went well - the ich disappeared and the tang got quite plump.

Over the last two months, the tang has still be eating quite well, but is seeming to wither away. He is getting more lethargic and is only really active at feeding time. In a couple of places, the skin is losing color where it's drawn the tightest over the bones.

All other tankmates (fish and coral) are in immaculate condition. I haven't changed any routines. The only thing I can think of is the increase in temperature associated with a hotter house during the summer months. There's more evaporation which also causes greater swings in salinity. Perhaps the regal is more "sensitive" than the others? I'd buy that if it wasn't eating well.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Later, James.

billsreef
07/24/2001, 09:36 PM
Possibly the increase in temperature is causing the fishes metabolism to increase and therefore require yet more food.

Are you still feeding lots of Nori and Ocean Nutrition. Perhaps you might want to try picking up some fresh seaweed on your next trip to the beach to try.

JamesB
07/25/2001, 10:13 PM
Being a bit landlocked, fresh nori is tough to find. However, I'll try feeding the dried stuff more frequently. I've noticed that the hepatus seems to "enjoy" the meaty foods more than the vegetables, so I'll also increase that and see what happens.

Thanks for the response, James.

biomanjcs72
07/26/2001, 12:06 PM
Could also be an intestinal parasite. (usually, though, their bellies will be fat and the rest of them will be withering.) May want to try soaking food in Maracyn or the like for about aweek and see if if it knocks it out. (needs to be done in a Q tank, corals don't like antibiotics)

JamesB
07/29/2001, 09:37 AM
Well, the poor fella's food for the snails, crabs, and starfish now. He's deep in the rock structure where I can't get to him. It's the first fish I've lost in many, many months. I think the last one was also a hepatus :(

Later, James.