PDA

View Full Version : LOA light vs PC 6500K

grif
07/21/2001, 08:15 PM
What do I gain in getting a "aquarium light" of the PC 55W 6500K variety over a LOA 65W outdoor light I hear people using? I have an LOA 65 watt on the refugium of my 75gal tank, could I just buy another of those for my 15-20 gal nano I'm planning and supplement with NO actinics?

I wouldn't have the high end of the kelvin scale (10,000K and 12,000K) but with low light softies and fish only at this point, does it matter?

MarkS
07/22/2001, 02:04 AM
I am using the 65 watt outdoor light from LOA on my five gallon. It seems to be more around 7100K. Actinic suplimentation will be a good idea in larger tanks. It is kind of strange. On my five gallon, it seems to not have any yellow. However on my ten, it has alot of yellow. :confused:

Regardless, you will need to do some modifications to get it to work. First, there is a photosensor. The kit comes with several lenses for various lighting modes. Remove the photosensor from the housing and silicone the BROWN lens onto it. It would also be a good idea to remove the entire assembly from the housing and install it into your hood.

Mark