PDA

View Full Version : Columbine Tank Project pic...

jimhobbs
03/01/2000, 09:04 AM
Greetings all!...Below is a pic I received of the tank in the Columbine High School library...This, as many of you remember, was donated by reefers and several MO companies, after the shooting that left several students on the floor in the library...Thanks go out to all who have helped; and it looks like they are on the way to a nice tank!...Best regards all!...jim

http://jimhobbs.homestead.com/files/aquarium.jpg.jpg

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 03-01-2000).]

Alice
03/01/2000, 10:05 AM
That's great! It certainly does look good. I'll bet it meant an awful lot to the kids and the people in that community to be able to have something beautiful in that room.

~Alice

------------------
Reefkeeping is my life; I can't afford a hobby too!

KASESQ
03/01/2000, 02:29 PM
Jim-who is going to take care of the reef when school is out?

jimhobbs
03/01/2000, 02:52 PM
Hey Kas,
If they are like the system I work for, there is no such thing as school being out...There are 12month classes, either make up or remedial, all year long...There is about a 2 week break, then 90% of my schools start back up as if normal...I've invited the teacher who organized this and set up the system, to join us here at RC...Maybe he can shed further light on the care of the tank...

Best regards...jim

KASESQ
03/01/2000, 02:56 PM
I would think that a topoff tank and float valve carrying sufficient water (kalkwasser) for the two week period (and then some), with timers for the lights, would be OK.

BrianD
03/01/2000, 05:22 PM
Not to nit-pick, but I believe the actual library where the tragedy took place has been sealed off while they decide what to do with the space. It seems to me that they set up a new space for the library.

jimhobbs
03/01/2000, 05:49 PM
Perhaps I should have been clearer...This is their library{in the minds of the kids}, and the tank will eventually rest in the new facility currently being constructed...One of the reasons I invited participation on the part of the teacher involved, was due to some questions he had concerning the design of the future tank/enclosure...Plus, he could explain just what a wonderful experience it was to take on such a challenge!... :eek:

Regards,
jim

Larry M
03/01/2000, 05:52 PM
That's a great idea, Jim. I think it would be interesting to have him tell us about the whole experience.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

goby
03/02/2000, 08:02 AM
jim...

tell rebel that it looks great!!! I am glad to see that his dream paid off... and it looks like he is ready for some corals now ;) Guess I will have to pull thru on that promise to mail him some.

g
o
b
y

------------------
It's all fun and games until someone looses and eye....
www.iag.net/~vigg (http://www.iag.net/~vigg)

FishGeeek
03/02/2000, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that picture doesn't do the tank justice. The lights had only been on for an hour or so. Many of the corals had not opened fully. I will try to stop by this weekend and take some more pict's after the lights have been on for a few hours.

See ya
Brian

Rebel
03/02/2000, 01:26 PM
Hello all--thanks for the invite to join reefcentral. I don't have a lot of time--so excuse me for being brief about this. This project is the result of the efforts of MANY people--some of whom wish to remain anonomous. There were over 25 private individuals and companies--from all over the country--who contributed equipement, livestock, time/help, and advice. There is no way any one person could have done this himself/herself. The aaquarium is wonderful and looks very nice, and students and staff are constantly in front of it and always have questions. That's the real fun. I'm even helping another teacher set up a tank in his home.

I understand the concerns of many people about how we will run this when school is out. As Jim stated--school is never really out. There are only two weeks over summer when someone is not here. And, because the temp. library is not attached to the school I have my own keys and can access it whenever I want. I currently have 4 students who maintain the tank--I supervise. They run the feed, run the tests, change the water, etc. They are very responsible and are excited to be learning a lot.

If you look closely in the picture, on the right side (under the plant) is out top-off jug. It lasts a week. Over the summer we will use a larger one to last two or more. We should also have an automatic feeder, and the tank has an octopus controller that I will hook up in a few weeks. It has a modem so that I can monitor the parameters from home. I will be at the school frequently each summer anyway, and I hope that I will only need to maintain the tank twice a week (to empty the skimmer, give the fish some selcon soaked food, feed phyto, etc.) Time will tell.

Yes, the library we are in is a temp.--the old one is sealed off and money is being raised to create an atrium in its place. A new library will be built (though it will be 2 years or so) and the aquarium will be moved to the new library. As a matter of fact, the architects came into the temp library and saw the tank, and they are very interested in making it a center focal point for the new library. I was excited to hear that--and I envision the tank recessed in a wall with a fishroom behind it with floor drain, shelves, refridgerator, etc. We'll see.

*What I could use opinions on is that our librarian is interested in a larger tank when we move into the new library--especially since it will be a showcase. I am uneasy about that because of the generosity everyone has shown and not wanting to seem ungrateful. The aquarium has done everything we wanted it to do--kids are going back to the library and are happy and interested and at more peace. The looks on their faces make it so rewarding. It will be approx. three years old when we move it--would it be bad if the librarian bought a bigger tank to move into?

Anyway--I guess I wasn't so brief. Sorry. There is so much more I could say, but the bell just rang (remember bells . . ? I live and pee (I mean breathe) by them :)) I'll try to check in and answer more questions--but please be patient.

Thanks for all who have given support and to those who show interest.
Jason

Larry M
03/02/2000, 02:57 PM
Hi Jason--Thanks for the update, and welcome to RC. I personally think wanting to move up to a larger tank in a couple of years is a great idea, and just a sign of how successful this whole venture has been. Everyone who helped out in this project should be very proud. Good luck in the future.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

jimhobbs
03/03/2000, 06:21 AM
Welcome aboard, Jason!

I think you'll find this board to be both friendly and helpful...There are some of the best folks here, and some of the best knowledge to be shared!...

I agree with Larry in that the move to the larger tank would be ok...Between now, and the move, you will be able to decide what equiptment will be useable from the tank you have now...I would think the skimmer/controller/lights, would all be ok on the larger tank...Then, you might consider selling the other tank to further fund the project...Thanks go out to the librarian who also has taken an intrest in this project...

Let me know if supplies run low...Best regards...jim

Project Reef
04/18/2003, 04:30 PM
Nice Aquascaping on that tank! Any updates?

DJ88©
04/18/2003, 04:43 PM
Wow.. there is a name I haven't seen in a while.. :(

Can't add in anything about the tank Project... sorry..

dc
04/18/2003, 04:51 PM
Kind of freaked me out to see Jims name up there.:(

DJ88©
04/18/2003, 04:52 PM
Debi,

Same...

SPC
04/18/2003, 05:01 PM
Yea I wondered what was going on too:( .
Steve

Project Reef
04/18/2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SPC
Yea I wondered what was going on too:( .
Steve

?

Is Jim alive and well? I don't know who he is, hope everything is okay. I'm getting weird vibes here from you guys...

npaden
04/18/2003, 05:53 PM
Jim has passed on to the big reef in the sky. :(

Would be interesting if anyone has any updates on the Columbine tank though.

FWIW, Nathan

Project Reef
04/18/2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by npaden
Jim has passed on to the big reef in the sky. :(

Would be interesting if anyone has any updates on the Columbine tank though.

FWIW, Nathan

Aw - I didn't know that. :(
Hope his family is well. Hope the tank is well too.