PDA

View Full Version : E-mail notification.

Rick O
07/21/2001, 05:23 AM
Is there anyway to have an automatic e-mail notification when a new topic appears in the club forums? We want to start using the board to communicate better between members but many of out members are not as regular on the board as some others.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick O
07/23/2001, 06:00 PM
?

JohnL
07/23/2001, 07:22 PM
Rick, email me the email addresses to notify and I will take care of it.

JennM
07/25/2001, 03:33 PM
And thanks again for the forum for the club, it's a great help!

Richard and I have been talking about this, what I can do is enable your mailer to post to our yahoo club email address, and that would send one email to the whole group. Members can then choose how they wish to receive the group emails, either individual emails, daily digest or read from the web only. This would be the simplest method from your end, IMO, only one email.

Jenn

JohnL
07/25/2001, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JennM
what I can do is enable your mailer to post to our yahoo club email address

Yes, that would be an excellent way to handle it. Much less work for me :D

JennM
07/25/2001, 03:48 PM
Let me poll the members and see if they want this, and if they do, I'll enable your mailer to post to the list (you'll have to send me the mailer's addy). The ONLY snag I can see, you'll have to set your mailer to "web only" as a member of our group, or the mailer will get mail too...get it?

Jenn

JennM
07/25/2001, 03:55 PM
Would the group receive mail each time there was a post, or each time there was a new thread started?

I can see it becoming a pain if it posted each time a reply was posted, because there would be too much mail at times.

I'm composing a poll for the group, please advise what our options are.

Jenn

JohnL
07/25/2001, 04:09 PM
I can set it up either way. I don't understand your previous reply.

JennM
07/25/2001, 05:09 PM
I'd prefer to have an email for new threads only, I'll post poll to that effect.

If I put your mailer on our group, you will receive the mail that you send. I can fix that though.

I'll poll the members now and we'll have a result on Sunday.

Jenn

JennM
07/31/2001, 01:22 PM
And the majority of those who bothered to vote, voted to have the group notified when a new thread is started on the Atlanta Reef Club board.

John, what do I do next? If you email me the mailer's email address, I'll enable it to post to the group.

I'd like the group notified ONLY when a new thread starts, not when somebody replies....otherwise there will probably be too much email.

Please let me know.

Jenn

JohnL
07/31/2001, 03:16 PM
The email's will be sent using the address webmaster@reefcentral.com

What email address do you want to be notified? Please either post it here or use my personal email account in my profile.

JennM
08/01/2001, 01:00 PM
The email addy to send the announcements to is:

atlantareefclub@yahoogroups.com

Right now I'm adding the RC mailer to the group, and giving moderator status so it can post.

We ONLY want a notification when a new thread is started.

Thanks...I'll be out for about an hour, and I'll be back if you'd like to test it.

Jenn

JohnL
08/01/2001, 11:16 PM
It should be all set. Let me know if there is a problem.

percula
08/05/2001, 07:26 PM
Just wanted to say thanks! - perc

JohnL
08/05/2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by truepercula
Just wanted to say thanks! - perc

You're welcome :)