PDA

View Full Version : rotifers/greenwater

yellowtruck75
01/14/2004, 08:04 PM
I have read the article on the NSPARS website about rotifers and greenwater. Would it bee a large undertaking to begin utilizing rotifers. Is there any large investment made to start up at first?

I am starting with SPS soon and have mostly softies,LPS and 3 clams now. Which type of corals would benefit? Is it a wise decision to feed rotifers?

GarSrtn
01/14/2004, 09:37 PM
It's not very hard. Total time (once the cultures are running) is about 10 mins every other day. The time varies depending on the method (2L bottles vs other methods) and the quantity. I'm running 3 2L bottles of greenwater, and 1 2L bottle of rotifers. Cost is $100 to $150 if you buy the stuff: culture kit, air pump, bottles, air tubing, and gang vavle. Florida Aqua Farms (https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi?cart_id=2236239.13666*_93DE0&product=CULTURE_KITS) sells good startup kits.

I've switching to feeding my tank rotifers, baby brine shrimp (fresh hatched), and now cyclop-eeze. Everything seems happy and healthy.

rsman
01/14/2004, 09:42 PM
I dont know that I have seen the NSPARS website I also dont live in PA, however I do culture phyto and rotifers. for just coral food you can maintain all the rotifers you need in a 10gallon tank, phyto can be done in another 10 or a few 2l bottles, initial investement depends but is generally not that high, lower if you can get algae/rotifers from a friend or LFS(IME you cant get them from a LFS, but I dont live in PA) expect to shell out a max of about $60 for everything you need for phyto, and another $30 for everything except the phyto required for rotifers. also you can buy phyto instead of culturing it, and only culture the rotigers, try instant-algae.com for one of a few sources to algae, that will be useable for rotifers.