PDA

View Full Version : Large Magnet Cleaner?

eruss
01/14/2004, 01:39 PM
Hey Gang!

Can anyone suggest a truly "acrylic safe" magnet cleaner for large tanks (3/4" acrylic)? I've seen the adverts for the Magnavores but still wonder about their scratch potential. Would also like to know if there is a cheaper alternative magnet cleaner available to do the job. Right now I'm using the Kent scraper/mop which does an admirable job, just tired of climbing up and down a ladder and getting wet to clean the tank panels.

Any comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

Nagel
01/14/2004, 02:07 PM
Lemme say I have a Magnavore 8, and it ROCKS.

NO magnet cleaner is 100% acrylic safe, though the safety level is pretty good if you take the proper precautions.

use acrylic safe pads
clean the front of the tank with water BEFORE using the magnet
keep a buffer zone of at least 2" between magnet and sand

mine's worked wonders on my 300g tank (3/4"), though they STILL wont remove coralline algea (regular cleanings will help prevent it though).

HTH

mhurley
01/14/2004, 03:15 PM
I would say that just about every properly sized magnet is acrylic safe...BUT, the cleaning pads may be prone to scratching.

The magnet itself should never touch the acrylic. My experience has been that the acrylic safe pads pick up and hold sand, and that in turn scratches. I can't blame the magnet for that..

My other experience is that strong magnets tend to scratch more (duh!). They are simply pulling harder on that piece of sand that's stuck in the pad.

So, my solution was to do away with the acrylic safe pads. I have a piece of MicroMesh 4000 (sometimes 6000) grit sandpaper on my magnet. Not pourous like a acrylic pad is so it doesn't grab and hold sand. It will still hold stuff it you really get sand under there, but not even close to what the pads did.

My $.02

Mike

MAS
01/14/2004, 08:38 PM
Magnavore magnest are the way to go. THey use high strength neodymium magnets and if you do happen to seperate them, they float(ER series) to the top for convenience.

eljefe3
01/14/2004, 08:56 PM
Any idea if these would work for 1.5 inch acrylic? I'm currently using a modified sponge mop covered with cotton for cleaning the inside of my tank.

MAS
01/15/2004, 01:21 AM
Yeah, the magnavore 10 will do you just right. WOrks great on 1.5" thick glass or acrylic.

cheers
MAS

eljefe3
01/15/2004, 01:42 AM
Thanks. I went looking at a few sites and they seem to be about $300. Seems kind of expensive for a magnet, but it might be better than having to manually scrub off the algae with my mop as I have to climb a ladder to get up high enough to clean.

Nagel
01/15/2004, 07:57 AM
I spent $200 on my magnavore 8, and its definately one of the best magnets for the cash. Just be forewarned, they ARE powerful, and if you get fingers caught in between them you MAY need emergency medical assistance to seperate them!

mhurley
01/15/2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by eljefe3
I went looking at a few sites and they seem to be about $300. Seems kind of expensive for a magnet,

They're not just regular magnets, they're rare earth magnets...But yes, the large ones are expensive. However, I have to assume that if you can afford a 1600 gallon tank, you can afford an expensive magnet :)

Mike

MAS
01/15/2004, 10:57 AM
mhurley: Couldnt have been said any better.

Nagel
01/15/2004, 11:18 AM
not to mention, equate it to time.

Before the magnet, easily 2 hours to clean almost the whole front panel with a long handle scraper with an aquamop

Now, 10 minutes to do the ENTIRE front panel.

Everytime I clean my glass it's almost 2 hours of my time saved due to the magnet. Worth every penny. And for those of us with the big toys, what's another couple hundred when we already dumped in thousands (or tens of thousands)?

eljefe3
01/15/2004, 08:14 PM
I agree time is $$. On the otherhand if you deem something that costs $50.00 expensive and you know it should be only $20.00 do you just spend the extra $30, or do you look on how you can save the $30 and still get what you need?

nts9
01/17/2004, 12:14 PM
I use a mighty magnet #8.
Manual scrubbing is not an option anymore, too much work!

If something ever happened to my very expensive magnet, I would definitely buy another.

myreef
01/17/2004, 12:49 PM
I use the MAGnavore 10 on my 1" thick acrylic. I first bought the 8 and it wasn't large enough, so I got the 10 and it is a beast to move around. I sold the 8 to a friend on his 3/4" thick tank and it works great. I think Magnavores are the best around....

Mike@ReefVenture
01/17/2004, 08:15 PM
I've used both the Magnavore 10 and the Algae Free Tiger Shark. If I were only cleaning 3/4" Acrylic I would go with a Floating Model Tiger Shark. If you clean the tank often then you don't need a giant $300 Magnet. I have a clients tank thats 1 1/8" Acrylic that's the only reason I bought a Magnavore 10. If you can get a Algae Free Magnet they are excellent magnets and cheaper than the Magnavore Series.

teog
01/17/2004, 10:22 PM
I have tiger shark and it worked great on my old 315g 3/4 acrylic and now my new 180.

KenT
01/18/2004, 10:02 AM
I have a Tunze for my 1". It is a little week for the thickness. If both sides are not kept clean, used carefully, they will scratch. Just look at my tank and you will understand!!!

eruss
01/19/2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely gonna have to get a magnet cleaner and I appreciate the input.