PDA

View Full Version : Formalin Dips For Clownfish Eggs

JSM
07/19/2001, 02:06 PM
Every batch of eggs gets a fungus when I move them to the larval rearing tank. I plan to bleach and sterilize everything in the larval tank and also do a formalin dip. Joyce does not mention in her book how this is done. Does anyone know? Do you use freshwater or saltwater and how long do you leave them there? Any help is appreciated!

Janna

monk
07/21/2001, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't use saltwater, as the osmotic stress may be too great on the eggs. Also, possibly you should consider other factors as to why your eggs are developing fungus infections, such as breeding condition of the parents, egg sterility, and water conditions. Lastly, you may want to consider other treaments than formalin, which can be a particularly nasty mutagen, with a low margin of safety. Methylene blue, malachite green, and possibly even lugol's iodine may be more than adequate to prevent fungal infections. Also, you may want to consider more specific fungal treaments, such as amphoterecin B, as these may be more directed at fungus rather than general toxins.

Monk

monk
07/21/2001, 12:54 PM
Duh....

I meant I wouldn't use FRESHWATER.

Monk

Atticus
01/15/2004, 06:08 PM
old thread good topic to revisit... ^bump^

oceanarus
01/15/2004, 06:35 PM
We use a formalin dip for eggs that have to be pulled way early due to extremely poor parenting skills. Seems to help, but bigger factors in helping the nest stay healthy is the right amount of aireation and also promptly removing any fungussed eggs. I'm sure some % of eggs normaly will fungus while in the care of the parents, but will be removed by the male to keep it from affecting the others. So for the nests that are pulled early I check them 2X day and remove any that have fungussed (with the aid of a extra long hypodermic needle and a steady hand)

Atticus
01/15/2004, 06:50 PM
How much flow do you like to have on your eggs and what are you using to create it? I use a ridged airline with an open end as i like the bigger bubbles. Is an airstone more effective?

JHardman
01/15/2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by oceanarus
(with the aid of a extra long hypodermic needle and a steady hand)
Cheater! I have to use the plain old forceps with a sharpened tip... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Atticus
How much flow do you like to have on your eggs and what are you using to create it? I use a ridged airline with an open end as i like the bigger bubbles. Is an airstone more effective?

If I am pulling them way early, I use a powerhead (PH), specifically either a MaxiJet 400 or 600. I put the PH on a foam filter to help maintain the water and reduce the flow a little. Works like a champ.

The day before the eggs are due to hatch I switch to a coarse air stones and use them till all are hatched that are going to hatch. Depending on where the pair lays in the pot and how well I can cut that section out of the pot I can get anywhere from about 50% to 100% of the eggs to hatch that are good the day of hatching.

As for how much, well it will be subjective... I like to see all of the eggs waving in the current. Not wiping but a good strong waving motion. Look to how your male fans them as a guide.

I will venture to say I have tried with varying success just about everything one could use to put air in a tank there is. I was using rigid lines for quite a while, then tried a el’cheapo stone, and that is what I have been using for a couple of months now. I would still like to use a pump, but haven’t had the time to build the nursery yet.