PDA

View Full Version : Bar Goby with white patches

Linda
07/19/2001, 07:56 AM
The Bar Goby that we have had for 6 mos. has white cotton like patches on one of his sides this morning. He acts fine is eating etc. Anyone have any ideas please!

billsreef
07/19/2001, 08:43 AM
Cottony patches are typically fungus infections. These normaly occur as secondary infections due to either injury or parasites.

The best treatment for fungal infections is to place the fish in a Quarintine tank and treat with Malachite Green dosed daily for 7 days or untill fully cured. Sometimes the Malachite Green is not carried by the LFS by itself but is common in conjunction with formalin for parasite controls in commonly available meds such as Rid Ich and Quick Cure.

Linda
07/19/2001, 09:57 AM
Thank you for the info. I have Rid Ich and Quick Cure.

Linda
07/19/2001, 10:32 AM
I looked at this fish several times this morning and it had the white patches. Now my son and I are both looking at it and it looks fine. No sign of injury, nothing. The white stuff WAS there. Can this stuff rub off and then reappear?

billsreef
07/19/2001, 11:07 PM
Did these white patches look like tufts of cotton or just white areas on the fish (not raised)?

Perhaps it just got into something during the night. Fungal infections don't tend to come and go like that. I would just watch the goby closely and hold off on treatment for now.

Linda
07/20/2001, 07:49 AM
The white areas, about 1" long, looked raised, especially looking at the fish from behind. Looked like he had glue on his side and bumped into a cotton ball and some short fibers stuck to his side. My son thinks I'm crazy as there is nothing there now. Oh well the fish looks great so...............