PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it up and running

Pseudo Boy
07/18/2001, 10:22 PM
Well all fellow nano reefers. I am totally proud of myself tonite. I tore apart my custom hood for my 7 gallon aga which I didn't want to do but I had to due to the fact that I needed :rolleyes: halide on my tank...

Come on people;) you know what I am talking about here.

well the light was to low to the water when I first tried and it heated the water up really fast and I was scared to use it for fear of splashing. It was about 3 1/2" from the water at first. Then I took the whole hood apart and started from scratch. I raised the light to 6" above the water and you got to see the difference.

Now on to the real stuff. I now have 239 watts of light on a 7 gallon tank. YEESSS !!!:smokin: or about 34 watts per gallon.:D :D

I will post pics friday.

Pseudo :smokin: :smokin:

nvillacci
07/19/2001, 10:02 AM
be sure to post some pics, also what lighting do you have now?(ballast, wattage of MH, K?)

Maybe Ill do it soon(if I can find an affordable MH).

Nick(whos not looking foward to tearing up his custom hood...)

Pseudo Boy
07/19/2001, 11:09 AM
Nvillacci,

I am running a 175 watt, 10,000k Aqualine with a Coralife MH ballast. Supplemented with 2X32 watt CSL 10,000k and a super actinic bulbs until the tank acclimates to the new light. I am running the halide only 90 minutes a day for the first 3 days and increasing the exposure by 15 minutes a day until I can run them for a full 8 hours. The tank temp went up by 2 degrees. I changed the way that the air circulates in the hood so that even when the AC is not on the tank never goes above 82 deg. and I can drop that down to 78 deg. if I turn on the AC. I will let you know if the longer time exposure increases the heat in the tank beyond acceptable levels. Only time will tell.

Will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

Pseudo :smokin:

nvillacci
07/19/2001, 11:14 AM
If you dont mind me asking, how much did the MH set you back?

Nick

Pseudo Boy
07/19/2001, 12:28 PM
Dude,

I got a new Coralife ballast from E-bay for $75.00+s/h. Like $88.00 all together. I already had the mogul socket. The connections I got from work (I am an Electromechanical Engineer) FREE Stuff.... I had a old unit that I was going to use but wasn't working when I set it up. I think I mentioned that in an old post. I had just broke my bulb :eek: and I just got 2 10,000k's from Dave on the board for $40.00 :D :D . Great guy... I used the reflector that came with my CSL retro that was in the hood already. I probably will change it to a Spider reflector soon. You know always messing with stuff.:rolleyes:. That is all.

Pseudo :smokin:

nvillacci
07/19/2001, 12:33 PM
gooddeal, im talking to someone about a used Icecap ballast 175 for $75 with socket..
Have to wait and see how that works out.
Nick

mr9iron
07/19/2001, 06:59 PM
Sweet, Ive been considering puttinm my 175 watt 100000k over my 7 gal but havent had the courage to do it yet, not to mention I need a custom hood and im not a diy type of guy. Cant wait to see those pics.