PDA

View Full Version : My 125 cracked!! Need to find a home for some livestock.

Larry M
05/03/2000, 05:45 PM
While sitting at the computer today I looked over and saw a crack in one corner of my new tank. I got on the phone to the lfs, grabbed a magic marker to put a mark on the spot so I could see how fast it traveled, and the front pane split--from the lower right corner to the top middle of the tank. It's a good thing I was home, I was able to salvage all fish and corals. Not my carpeting, though.

So, nice mess on my hands. I'm not setting up the tank again. I need to get rid of some corals and live rock, obviously in the local Mpls area. Dirk Griffin is coming by tomorrow night to take what's left, along with some tangs I have that he wants. But the rest is up for grabs--about 150 lbs of fiji lr, several lps corals, some softies.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

[This message has been edited by Larry M (edited 05-04-2000).]

cjdevito
05/03/2000, 06:02 PM
Jeez, Larry. My sympathies. If you do end up setting something else up to take the place of the 125, lemme know if you want some frags.

REEFA
05/03/2000, 06:04 PM
Oh no !!!!
Sorry to hear that !
That sucks ! Bummer ! :(

Outerbank
05/03/2000, 06:05 PM
That really stinks! I always have a slight fear of these horror stories. How old was your tank and what type was it? Any reason why you think it failed? I am glad you managed to save your livestock.

Scott

REEFA
05/03/2000, 06:05 PM
Oh no !!!!
Sorry to hear that !
That sucks ! Bummer ! :(

BlinkBoyCK
05/03/2000, 06:11 PM
Man that blows, I feel for you.

CHAD

O'Man
05/03/2000, 06:25 PM
Sorry...

fishpoo
05/03/2000, 06:34 PM
wow, what a disappointment.
keep a stiff upper lip. tom

Bishop
05/03/2000, 06:41 PM
Larry: I am very sorry to hear about that. I currently have a 16" crack in my tank, but luckily it hasn't moved in two months.

I hope that you won't totally quit the hobby but I imagine the miss' isn't very enthusiastic about your return either.

Sorry to hear about your loss, hope it works out for the best.

Bishop

Dwayne
05/03/2000, 06:45 PM
Larry,

Serious bummer!

I'd offer to help, but I'm out of town right now.

Hope you get some assistance.

Dwayne

Steve Richardson
05/03/2000, 06:46 PM
Ugh.

.....ummm. Wow. I can't imagine. :(

good luck, man...

-S

Ironreef
05/03/2000, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear this but the only tanks that failed on me were glass. I only have acylic now just have to be careful when cleaning. Sorry for the cheap plug but I know how you feel.Hopes it under warrenty.

hesaias
05/03/2000, 06:49 PM
Larry
My sympathies, deepest sympathies. I live too far away to help, unless you have any thoughts on somthing I can do, lemmie know
:(

------------------
hesaias
My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

billsreef
05/03/2000, 07:08 PM
Ouch! I feel your pain. Especially after the work and anticipation to get that tank set up. A little advice from my days as a marine mechanic, flush anything that got soaked with copious amounts of fresh water to prevent future damage from residual salt. Good luck on the clean up.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

Doug
05/03/2000, 07:09 PM
Hi Larry,

I am very, very sorry to hear what happened.

If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Doug

jimhobbs
05/03/2000, 07:28 PM
Oh Man!
That seriously bites!...Damn, just when you got it going!...I'm totally bummed about this ; and only wish I lived closer!!!...Let me know how I can help...Best regards...jim

BrianD
05/03/2000, 07:43 PM
*speechless*

Hope things works out :(

Brian

signu459
05/03/2000, 07:44 PM
Larry,
That is really too bad. I know all of the work you have put into that little baby of yours, you must be very disappointed. I am sure some of the local reefers would be more than willing to care your yoour critters until you can get your tank set back up, if you are. Judging from your post it sounds like your gonna hang it up for a while, I hope that isn't so.

best wishes!!

[This message has been edited by signu459 (edited 05-03-2000).]

Martyn
05/03/2000, 07:50 PM
Ahhhhhh
Larry I think I can imagine how you feel right now and I really do feel for you.
With all that effort and excitement and anticipation and plans.
All I can say is you may not feel like you don't want to set an Aquarium right now but I think and hope you will mellow out in time.
Once you get on top of the situation and had some time to reflect about things you may wish to setup a new system with hindsight you may end up with something special.
and I am sur you will get a 100% support from all who can help.
Hope you get over it soon.
Martyn

Steve Richardson
05/03/2000, 07:52 PM
You said it Martyn. :)

-S

Q-ball
05/03/2000, 07:52 PM
Wow, words can't express the shock I felt when I read this. I can't imagine how I'd deal with this. Good luck Larry...

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

coralhound
05/03/2000, 07:53 PM
OH MY GOD
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

LARRY,
If I could get on a plane and help you out I would...

THere isnt anything I can say that somebody else hasnt said....
I am truly sorry for your loss...
but please dont abandon the hobby for this VERY unfortunate accident.

I will be thinking of you...
CH

------------------
Please BUY captive bred marine life...
My website: Moon Tide Reefs (http://www.qis.net/~ckkuehn)

Vins Fins
05/03/2000, 07:57 PM
Larry,
I wish i lived closer to help you out.
I'll do my best to try to make you feal better. I had a large tank bust loose
also. mine happened to be my 265 gal tank
I did not give up, It was my fault i was doing 50% water changes weekly (fresh water)
the seams were stressed do to the large changes. the tank was up for 3 years. i felt
like giving up, but i like this hobby way to much.I'm sure you do to. Hang in there you'll be glad you did.

Sincerly Vinny

[This message has been edited by Larry M (edited 05-04-2000).]

horge
05/03/2000, 08:05 PM
Sorry, Larry.
I know you can take it in the gut
and keep marching.

Especially when you have
a whole platoon of us to
march right on with ya. :)

Bubafat
05/03/2000, 08:06 PM
Sorry man, i'd help you out, got a 55g with nothin in it but salt water but no car, bummer. Too bad dirk took the 65, he can bring it back to you if you want, you can keep it for a while until you repair the tank. Good luck man.
Matt

------------------
Have fun and happy reefing. "The goal in life is to reach pure happieness." Aristotle

CaptainMac
05/03/2000, 08:06 PM
Lar,
I'm swearing every cuss word I know for ya! Man this really blows! Let me know if a little fishing trip later this summer will help take your mind off of this calamity.
BALLS!!!!!
Cap'n

Gus Paz
05/03/2000, 08:21 PM
Larry,

Sorry to hear about the break, but don't give up. Once the water dries up, you'll want to set it up again.. :-)

Biosystems
05/03/2000, 08:24 PM
Larry:

I really feel for you. I know the feeling that you have. I hope that all is well now that you have had some time to clean up. I wish you and your family the best.

Tim

FishDaddy
05/03/2000, 08:42 PM
Larry,
I have no words to express my shock and sympathy to see your hard work messed up by the broken tank. :(
We can all understand how much effort, time and care went into this tank and feel for you on this loss.
I wish I lived nearby so I could help but you have my sympathies.
Dick

Larry M
05/03/2000, 08:49 PM
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it. The only consolation in all of this is that it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been home at the time. The entire tank would have drained onto the floor, the pumps would have run dry, maybe starting on fire, all the fish and corals most likely would have died......as it was I saved the critters except for maybe a snail or two that got scooped out with what little sand I had in there.
<A HREF="http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/miscphotos/broken1.jpg" TARGET=_blank> http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/miscphotos/broken1_small.jpg </A>

Apparently it was a defect in the tank. I called my lfs and they seemed familiar with this type of break, said it would be covered under warranty. That helps I guess, although half way through I made the decision not to set it back up again. Some of the corals have already been picked up by folks, the rest will go tomorrow.

For you local people, Dirk will take what is left tomorrow evening, but in the mean time I do have a few nice open brains, a couple of lps, and of course some live rock for sale. He seemed the least interested in the live rock.

I still have the 75FO, I will save a few pieces of lr for that, and some of the hardware, but I will have a bunch of equipment for sale, will make a list tomorrow. In the mean time we managed to get the tank and stand out, pull up the carpet, and have fans running until the carpet layers can get here tomorrow.
Yuk, yuk, yuk. I'm a believer in things happening for a reason, though. I can take the hint.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

[This message has been edited by Larry M (edited 05-03-2000).]

Targus
05/03/2000, 08:51 PM
:(

BrianD
05/03/2000, 08:52 PM
$$$$$

If anyone wants to take care of the funds, I would like to hereby offer my membership fee to Reef Central. My only request is that the money be used as a test site at some administrator's home.

Maybe someone who just lost a tank.

Someone volunteer to handle funds, and my check is in the mail.

For me, it is a small price to pay for the countless hours that have been spent on this web site.

Brian

horge
05/03/2000, 09:09 PM
Would Philippine pesos be worth a dang? :)

Nice idea, Brian,

SShhhh, don't tell him, but Larry only needs some time to regroup, and then he can start to drool over someone else's tank pics again, and then that affliction we all share can start inducing the inevitable tank-fever in our gutsy Administrator.
Shhhhhh. Keep him in the dark :)

enutees
05/03/2000, 09:14 PM
I almost quit about 2 weeks ago after a 15 gallon spill out of my 110. My fiance is still giving me crap about it.

But now---I don't care what she says. Do yourself a favor and at least don't sell your rock. Or is this a secret attempt to get some different rock and a bigger set up? hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Good luck with the clean up man.

Agu
05/03/2000, 10:39 PM
Larry, call me asap, I can bring over a few tanks, a couple of bakpaks, and some premixed h2o. I tried calling but your answering machine was on. 1.507.663.1769 or after 8:30am, 1.507.663.1277 Agu

Flanelcamel
05/03/2000, 10:55 PM
Larry

In 10 years from now when you have a beautiful 200+ gal reef tank you will look back at the times when you were tested and be glad you did'nt give in! "This too shall pass" That little saying will get you through a lot of yukky stuff!
Hang in there!
Ray

Doug1
05/03/2000, 11:03 PM
Larry, sorry to here about this, esp after all the excitement and effort you've put into it, :(
HAng in this will pass

------------------
Reef as though your life depended on it, yours might but the sea's does.........Doug ReefTank administrator

Bubafat
05/03/2000, 11:10 PM
Sorry Larry, i just tried my damndest to get a ride to your place tonight but no cigar. Just wondering, how much are you selling your beauties for anyway, maybe i can convince dirk to hold on to a couple for me. I'm so sorry about your tank, that sux big time
If you are restocking your tank, i could provide you with a couple frags from my tank. See ya around.
Buba

------------------
Have fun and happy reefing. "The goal in life is to reach pure happieness." Aristotle

Ewan
05/03/2000, 11:48 PM
Awwww Larry, Please don't sell your livestock.

I'll second Brian's notion, it it takes a membership, then I'm in. As for now, I would push the warrantee into the ground.
This may very well be a sign to get a 180. I'd say AGA owes you a 180 for your experience.

E.

[This message has been edited by Ewan (edited 05-04-2000).]

DaveinKY
05/04/2000, 12:18 AM
Larry,
Man that sucks. I just got in and read the topic and said out loud as I was clicking,"Oh no, that's his brand new tank!" Really sorry to hear it. I guess everyone has said it better than any one person could. Don't give up!

------------------
Dave

alde
05/04/2000, 12:31 AM
Larry,

Sometimes life really stinks. I am sorry to hear about your tank. I have been watching your new tank come along and was looking forward to hear of your success with it. I think you have more of a passion for this hobby than almost everybody on this list.

I think salt water is as much in your blood as on your carpet. Please don't let this stop you from doing what you love. Let the LFS replace your tank and keep on reefing. You will be happy you did.

Good luck, Al

------------------
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Flamehawk
05/04/2000, 03:12 AM
Say it ain't so Larry, say you're not leaving the hobby!!!
JOHNNY

------------------
www.homestead.com/johnnymok (http://www.homestead.com/johnnymok)

Raszagil
05/04/2000, 03:17 AM
Wow, leave for a few days, and look what happens. That really sucks, Larry, you have my sympathy. :(

Sara R.

jimhobbs
05/04/2000, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry M:
I'm a believer in things happening for a reason, though. I can take the hint.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Larry,
How's things this morning?...I'm also a believer in things happening for a reason...Sometimes the reason might be different from what we first deduct...I was told once that if I "prayed" for patience, the god of my understanding would give me something to be patient with!...I'm maybe out of line with this; but, I don't think you should give up on this particular tank and location...Get the new tank and do your best to put it exactly where the old one was...Fight the urge to give up, cause you wont gain anything if you do that...Only a memory of something that "beat" you...

With your experience in building, and your love of your animals, I have great confidence in the design of the stand and equiptment...If your willing to try with another tank, I'm willing to take off work {I've got a week's paid vacation that I'm fixin' to lose if I don't take it} and come help you set it up...I don't want this to become a thorn in your memory of your personal reefing history...I don't want you to give up...This was too important a project to become a failure due to defects in workmanship...You documented the full construction; and this isn't the mark of a trival project that one can just give up on...Even if the corals have been given away, we can get you new specimens of the same species...Whatever, please concider my offer as I don't make it lightly...

Once again, if you feel I'm out of line with this, please forgive...I mean no harm...Best regards...jim

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 05-04-2000).]

Fishwife
05/04/2000, 05:47 AM
Larry - I am sooooo sorry! I can't begin to imagine how you must feel. Please don't give up though, you and so many of the other people on this board are such an inspiration to newbies with your knowledge and your sense of humor and your patience with stupid questions. Don't know what we would do without you!

------------------
Fishwife

"By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea..."

Lynn
05/04/2000, 06:00 AM
Oh Larry! I can't tell you how sorry I am for your misfortune. This has got to be a reefers worst nightmare, but I have to say that some of the other members posts are quite supportive. You have a lot of good friends willing and wanting to keep your dream alive. All that work for not?

I'd be happy to pay a membership! The amount I've learned from the short time since I've joined is priceless.

I'll be sending my best wishes your way.
Lynn

Playfair
05/04/2000, 06:16 AM
I've only cried twice in my life;
once when my grandfather died,
and again when I saw the picture of your cracked tank.

I'm so sorry, Larry. To think of the minor things that have happened to my tank that has made me want to give it up, I can only imagine your disappointment...

Hang in there. If you give up, you will only be depressed for who knows how long. If you replace the tank and get it back to where it was (2 minutes before it cracked) then this entire nightmare will just be a comical reply to a post someday.

If you believe in fate, then this was an experience to humble and strengthen all of us, not to tell you that reefing should be left to the ocean.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Quote from last week:
...I'm getting a little salt creep outside the front glass along the bottom frame of the tank overnight. I wipe it off in the morning, it's back later that day. I'm a little concerned about that, but it is really, really minimal. I guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.

Geesh; who could have imagined...

[This message has been edited by Playfair (edited 05-04-2000).]

Aquaman
05/04/2000, 06:33 AM
Sorry about your loss, Don't give up though.

------------------
Teach what you have known for years as if you learned it yesterday,
Teach what you learned yesterday as if you have known it all you life.
Life is short so Reef Hard

www.magicnet.net/~jwhite/aquamans.html (http://www.magicnet.net/~jwhite/aquamans.html)

Nathan
05/04/2000, 06:45 AM
Are you positive you want to get rid of everything?! Maybe you just need a rest from "the hobby" for a while...

Maybe it's just the rage of the moment, but in time I'm sure you will crave the addiction again... I hope so...

My condolences.

-Nathan

Ace
05/04/2000, 07:01 AM
Sorry this happened. Hope everything works out for you!
Ace

Larry M
05/04/2000, 08:13 AM
Hi gang--Once again, thanks much. Jim, offering to take vacation and come up here--that's pretty cool. :) But I won't be setting it up again. I invested every spare moment, dollar, and ounce of energy I had into getting this tank up and running. Don't have the heart to start all over again, at least not now. The last thing I want at this point is another one of these nightmares in my living room. My wife Kathy is the one who wants to do it again. :)

Brian, thanks also for the offer of financial help, but between All-Glass and my homeowner's insurance we should be covered.

I'm confident the stand was true, square and solid as a rock. I know for a fact when I set it in place the tank set perfectly flat on the stand, and the tank and stand were level. We'll see what All-Glass has to say, I guess.

I may be off-line for a while as I try to deal with this. Lots of work yet to do between restoring my house to normal and finding homes for the rest of my reef. Take care and thanks again everyone, for the support.

------------------
Larry M

Staceon
05/04/2000, 08:30 AM
Larry,

We all have our horror stories. We all can site terrible things happening to their tanks or a friends. Now I admit that I do not know you persoanlity, but base my opinion on your posts and a few emails. Your love for the hobby and your dedication is by far beyong the average hobbiest. Watching something destroy itself right in front of your eyes is difficult. I have had not one, but two tanks crack along the front and one drained entirley on the floor when I was not home. Dont worry about All-Glass, they will give you a new tank and will also send you a check for lost corals(if there were any). They did for me.

Most here can remember having to start over more than once. I understand you patience is probably at a all time low. All those plans you had were lossed in a moment of pure hell.

Let the set back make you stronger. You know as well as anybody how difficult some others have had it. For example, remember Braveheart with the "Tank of Death". That is just one story. You stand at the foothill of a great inspirational story. I leave you with the words of Dillian Thomas: "dont go gental into that good night, rage, rage aginast the dying of the light".

Good luck amigo.

Lars E
05/04/2000, 08:35 AM
I'm coming into this thread late, but if you still need some help finding temporary homes for your corals I've got my 75 system running since feb with just 150 lbs of liverock in it waiting for the 180 ;)

I can host whatever you need until you get things settled over there!

I've copied this on Reefcentral and via email.

Let me know!

Lars.

RCraw45425
05/04/2000, 08:35 AM
Man Larry, I am Sooooo sorry. I agree with Jim, maybe take a little time to regroup, settle up with the tank manufacturer, then hopefully, you'll dive back in, so to speak. I really hope that you don't leave the hobby, your words of encouragement have meant a lot to me and I'm sure to other people as well. Robin

------------------
tank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm (http://members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm)

markrb
05/04/2000, 09:09 AM
I know what you are going through right now. I have been feeling the urge to get out of the hobby for some time now, but I just can't. If something like that were to happen to me I am pretty sure it would push me over the edge.
At the very least you should try and get the tank replaced. Leave it in the garage until you have had time to fully recover. I think that once you have a couple of fewer things on your plate you may get the urge again.
I do disagree with a few of my fellow reefers out here. I think that a break might just be a good thing for you. Give it time and get all the frustration out. Try and keep as much as you can though, just in case you do end up returning.

You are truly one of the good guys.

Good Luck,
Mark

[This message has been edited by markrb (edited 05-04-2000).]

aLittletank
05/04/2000, 10:28 AM
Larry

I feel for you. The funny thing about a situation like this is you find out what kind of friends you have made along the way.

And looking at all the posts before mine you are truly blessed. If you must take a breather from the hobby and Reef Central you will be missed.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the help you have given to my little tank.

Lastly I too would like to Pay my membership fee to help make the decision on whether or not to return to the hobby an emotional one NOT a finical one.

what a bummer
Allen

fade2black
05/04/2000, 01:06 PM
Larry, you can't give up this hobby! Come on, admit it, you're addicted just like the rest of us. You'll be going through the DT's (NOT the phytoplankton either :)) in a week and the first time you see a really nice looking coral you'll be out looking at 150 gal tanks! Hang in there man...I wish you the best. Semper Fi.

F2B

[This message has been edited by fade2black (edited 05-04-2000).]

badgers
05/04/2000, 01:32 PM
the guy in the cube next to me had the same thing happen with an AGA 125. it happened 2 times to him. This was before they used a center brace. He is kind of old.
He gave up. :)

netjerk
05/04/2000, 01:56 PM
First off..even though i'm a newbie here..i'd like to say sorry to hear about the tragic. Okay, everyone return his corals..don't take any! Force him to stay in the hobby! :) I say give it some time..let all the frustration subside..and start again..and this time. Personally..if ALL-Glass has such a bad reputation for tank cracking..people should stop using them.

P.S. Now if anyone asks if acrylic or glass is better...i will say 100% acrylic is better! (I have acrylic myself)

ASH
05/04/2000, 03:15 PM
Larry,
Just saw your post and find myself at a loss for words. Unlike some far off disaster we see on the news, this is the kind of tragedy that hits us all where we live.
We try to create a miniature world dependent on so many variables that must all work in harmony. Your tragedy shakes us all because we know it or something similar could happen to any of us.
Your insight and humor that you infuse into this forum have made us all that much richer and wiser. I'm not surprised to hear unsolicited offers of money, time, cuttings, you name it. I would include myself in that list.

But first things first. You have a huge mess to clean and thoughts of a tank would not be on my mind at this moment either. When the dust settles you'll know if you have too much free time or the house seems empty. If the time becomes right, just please let your friends help you as you would have helped them if things were reversed.

Andy

Larry M
05/04/2000, 03:40 PM
You people are great. :) Now I know another reason I love this hobby. The best folks ever.

I am not leaving the hobby, I still have a 75 gallon FOWLR that now technically is a reef. I kept the best pieces of LR from the 125, some mushrooms, toadstool leather, and green star polyps for it as well. As soon as life returns to normal I will put the IceCap ballast on there with a couple of VHO bulbs so I can keep them thriving. I am limited as to what I can keep in there with a trigger and a puffer, though, so it will have to stay pretty basic.

There is just no way I could go through setting up another large tank right now. All-Glass has already offered me a new tank, but the earliest they could get it to me is Tuesday. Plus, I can't use my old stand as it got soaked and now surely will warp and buckle as it dries. So tomorrow I haul that to the landfill. :( And I go for a refund plus reimbursement costs from All-Glass. So far they have been very sensitive to the situation and told me to summmarize my expenses and send them the bill. No promises, but at least they are listening and trying to help.

So, I may be backing off a bit to heal from this, but I will still be in the hobby, still have Reef Central, and still have all you great folks for friends. :D Not a bad deal. And I keep reminding myself of how bad it could have been had I not been home at the time. Overall I'd say I'm pretty fortunate.

Thanks everyone!!

------------------
Larry M

Frisco
05/04/2000, 03:49 PM
Man... I'm gone from the board for a couple days and I come back to this! This is terrible and it's not even 5/5/2000! My heart's with you Larry!

Outerbank
05/04/2000, 04:13 PM
Larry, I already responded once but this deserves a DOUBLE HEART FELT SORRY. When I just glanced at the initial post, it didn't click that this was that awesome, DIY everything, absolutely spectacular tank set up!! I mean, I got great ideas from your website and wished I was that damn good! It is ironic that the only thing that broke was the only thing you didn't make!! If I was AGA and knew how this post could affect sales after all the Oceanic vs. AGA vs. acrylic posts, I would offer you a Reef Ready 180 with top of the line stand and canopy (In fact, I would just send it and make you take it!). I mean, the next time there is a post about AGA vs. Oceanic, I will just have to respond by saying ...(we now all know the story).

If you are up for it, then maybe we should all e-mail AGA to get you the setup you want and delivered to your door. That would really decrease a lot of the work you initially need to do! There is great power in this idea, especially if it is posted on the other bulliton boards!

Scott

[This message has been edited by Outerbank (edited 05-04-2000).]

Flatlander
05/04/2000, 05:03 PM
Larry; I will just say sorry about your accident and good luck with what ever you and your wife decide.
Even if at worse you left the hobby and your board, you have enriched my reef keeping in the time I have been on here. Thank-you for that.

------------------
Doug Lowey

ReefGirl
05/04/2000, 05:20 PM
Larry,
Like everyone else, I'm so very sorry to hear of this. :( However, we know you'll be back - who else do you have to pass the Camo boxers to? :) When it does happen & you'd like frags, just let us know. :)

RG :)

downdeep
05/04/2000, 06:05 PM
Larry: sorry to hear about your loss. Seems as though you have a great group of people here all willing to help. Hope you don't take too much time off, looking forward to seeing your next tank. I am interested in what caused this crack. Take a look at this pic on your site. Is that the beginning of the crack down there in the corner? When was this pic taken?http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/miscphotos/125right5-2.jpg

[This message has been edited by downdeep (edited 05-04-2000).]

Dave
05/04/2000, 06:58 PM
Sorry Larry

Spudster
05/04/2000, 07:25 PM
Hey Larry
So sorry to hear about the tank.
before you have a fire/flood sale, give yourself a few days to calm down. When you are ready,(and you soon will be) replace the tank and get back to work.

jim

------------------
Well Doc. . . it all started when I got this old, empty, tank. . .

Targus
05/04/2000, 07:39 PM
Larry,
That is a wonderful outlook, I hope you can recover from this setback soon.
I really feel that you have done a lot more for this hobby than you may know, and I'd like to thank you for the board and all of the truly useful information.
Cheers,
Mike.

------------------
See my tank at
http://users1.ee.net/ohioart/abzutu/the_real_webpage001.htm

Macimage
05/04/2000, 08:00 PM
I'm kinda a lurker on this board. I don't post much, but read through most of the threads every night and have checked your home page several times watching your progress.

I really want to let you know how terribly sorry I am for your loss. I understand your need to step back for a time and I think the 75 gallon reef tank will fill the void for now. In time you may get that urge to go bigger (Pst...I've heard its better :)....

Good luck to you and wishing you every success & happiness in the days to come, Joyce

Rick O
05/04/2000, 08:42 PM
Larry,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hold on to your stand for a little while. Since you caught this when you did the stand will probably be ok. Just put everything in the garage and throw a sheet over it so you won't be reminded and just chill for a while. Before you know it you'll lift that sheet off just for a peek and you'll be baaaaack.

Rick

gas4544
05/04/2000, 08:48 PM
Larry,
As I read about your tragic misfortune, I sympathized with you and darn near started to cry. But those potential tears of sadness turned to tears of joy as I saw how many people really care about you, sympathize with you and unselfishly offered their help. I am also encouraged by your attitude. I'm a prayin' man, and you are in my prayers. Are reefers cool or what?

Green Lantern
05/04/2000, 09:30 PM
Larry your positive attitude in the face of disaster is really amazing. I'm really glad you've decided to stick around.

Troy

Dwayne
05/04/2000, 10:15 PM
Ok, you're not leaving the hobby.

AGA can get you a new tank on Tuesday.

:)Sounds like a reef building party on Wednesday. :)

Dwayne

DENNIS
05/04/2000, 11:05 PM
Larry,
sorry about your tank, I know if it happened to me I wouldn't be right for days after. Take some time to regroup and try again.
this board has been a life saver to me and my critters and the picts on your site gave me the insperation to build my next stand and canopy in alot smaller scale though. I'm still really new at reefing and your article on sumps is fantastic ! This is the only board I am registered on and for good reason. There is a sense of community that you cant find any were else. I look foward to checking here every night after work and learning more every day. thank you Larry for being here and to everyone else that makes this board great.

Heinrich
05/04/2000, 11:13 PM
Condolences Larry,
Just out of curiosity did you 125g have aa full centerbrace out of tempered glass of two strips. I've heard some pretty bed stories about the all glass centerbraces expanding differently than the rest of the tank. The two supports don't expand as much as the center of the tank bowing out and crack, or vice versa. If you get the stand dried properly with a electric heater or similar the warping will be minimal. Nothing a sheet of padding won't fix. Most stands are made out of marine grade wood so they are pretty soak resistant. If they can get you another tank and reinburse you I'd go for it. Remember to vaccum the carpet out with water and rent a spaceheater to dry out everything so you don't get rot or mildew.
Insist on a tank made to handle reef conditions when talking to allglass. They try to save a buck or two, on their tanks and it generally backfires. Way too high of a rate of problems. But they sell so many tanks they really don't have to worry.
Hang in there, get back on the horse, if you fall off the only thing to do is getting right back on it. Nothing much happened. Maybe it was an indication that you need a bigger tank... :)
Or build a different reefstructure, or you need to put even more work, effort and stress in because the amount of enjoyment would otherwise be in to great of an imballance.
Hope to see you back up and running soon.
By the way Allglass owns Oceanic why don't you have them get you an oceanic tank? No problems there.
Maybe you were meant to have an oceanic as the moderator and not an Allglass. Don't be satisfied with tenth best go for the best.
They should see your status and hopefully reinburse you properly. Oceanic has awfully beautiful ground glass edges. You'll like it.
You're insured and you have the power of the internet to make demands.
93!
Heinrich

Martyn
05/04/2000, 11:41 PM
the classic 125g looks ok but a 180g classic if they do one I think would be better. http://www.oceanicsystems.com/natures_view.html
Martyn

Frank
05/05/2000, 12:54 AM
I'm new to reef central but in the short time I have been here all of you have been great.... Now I see you are more than great you are friends.
Larry,
I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. There is one thing that I can say you are a true reef lover the most important thing to you was the saving of your babies and corals. This is a true reefer. Tank before house. I want you to know how you have helped me. I saw your nano reef It was the first time I had every seen one. So I built one I love it sit at work and people see it. Then they know how beautiful the ocean can be I tell them to take care of are ocean so they can stay that way. I also have a 34 and I just built the sump you design just smaller and it works great. I have done a lot of your reading on this page and now my coral are happier than ever. You have helped me and I know there are a lot more that you have just remember all those that you have and we thank you and are tanks thank you. Hope to see you back soon.
Bigger and better.

------------------
No expense is to great for my reef.....

kylatay
05/05/2000, 01:07 AM
I want to say THANK YOU for all the help you have given.....if you have even helped each person on this board a quarter of how you've helped me, I am sure we are all indebted to you!

I appreciate all the post replys and e-mails I have recieved w/ loads of helpful info. from you. and you certainly didn't deserve this!

I am sure all you need do is mention in any way we could help and we're there!!

DSB
05/05/2000, 06:46 AM
Larry,

I think I kind of know how you feel. In Dec of 1998, my house lost electricity for 4 days while I was out of town. I had a well established 37G reef. When I got home, I knew what had happened as soon as I opened the door. The smell about knocked me out. I think I started crying before I even saw the tank. It looked like I had a tank full of chicken soup. I unplugged everything and told my wife I was through with reef tanks. It didn't take me long to change my mind and I rebuilt the tank to be just as beautiful. Now I have a 120G (and a generator). I definately felt a lot better as soon as I changed my mind and decided to rebuild.

I think Downdeep is right about being able to see the start of a crack in www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/miscphotos/125right5-2.jpg (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/miscphotos/125right5-2.jpg)

Larry M
05/05/2000, 07:20 AM
Yep, downdeep is right--that was the start of the crack. That pic was taken the night before. Earlier that same day my wife first noticed it, at that point it was only 1/4" long and it was hard to tell if it was a crack or some flaw in the glass. It would be nice to know what caused it, but I probably will never know for sure. AFAIK all of the AGA tanks now use two plastic center braces, that's what this one had.

Last night the last of my fish, coral, and rock went out the door, aside from what I kept for the 75. All in all, we did suffer some losses: a brittle starfish, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, oscellaris clown, and......our mandarin. :( The starfish died overnight and apparently poisoned the container. Ironic that Mandy lived and thrived for one year all alone in a 40 gallon tank, and when I move her to a more "appropriate" tank she dies. I had to choose between the new purple tang and Sailor the sailfin for the 75 gallon, so the purple stayed and we gave the sailfin away.

Right now I'm waiting for the carpet people to come so we can put the house back together, get the computer out of the kitchen, and actually see the television again. Then it's time to go back to my job and get on with things.

All of your thoughts and sentiments really help us get through this, I hope everyone realizes that. Thank you very much.

------------------
Larry M

goby
05/05/2000, 07:28 AM
larry,

Although we dont get along very well lately, and we havent talked for a few months, I want you to know that my deepest sympathies are with you. I really feel for you and understand that the loss you have experienced is a tough one to deal with. Spending all the time working on a magnificent stand and hood, only to have someone else's craftmanship cause yours to be destroyed. I hope that things work out for you in the end, and that somewhere along the lines you end up with that big tank that you were searching for. I know it must be horrible to have such a wonderous dream realized and then shattered right before your eyes, but as you say, at least you were there. I can imagine that the trauma would have been much worse had the tank broken in the middle of the night while you were asleep, or durring a day when you were out of the house.

I am glad to hear that this is not going to stop you. I hear your frustrations with the time issue (having given this your all and then to have to back at square 1 again) and that hope that with time, your wounds and worries will heal and that you will be able to tackle this project again. IT is with the hopes and dreams of reefers like you that allow this hobby to continue on the path that it is destined for.

good luck in your progress with the move of the animals that you have decided to keep, and best of luck with that trigger in the tank :)

to the rest of you, in defense of all-glass:

This company does all that they can do to ensure that there are not problems like the one that larry had. I had a problem with my all-glass 125 , and the people at all-glass were so helpfull and friendly, and assured me that even though my warranty had expired on the tank, they were going to do everything that they could to help me with my problem. It ended up being a non-issue, but the point is that they are willing to go above and beyond what a manufacturer should do to ensure customer satisfaction. I feel that I would not hesitate to buy another one of their products with the simple reasurance of excellent customer service.
I am sure that all-glass would never intensionally build a defective aquarium, and that they would not have let it ship had they known that it would have cracked on larry the way that it did.

A tank goes thru a lot getting from the factory to your house folks! Imagine, it has to be shipped from all-glass in wisconsin to wherever you live. there it sits in the LFS for god knows how long, being touched by god knows how many people until it is uncerimoniously shoved into the back of a truck/suv/van/etc. to be moved across town and over how many railroad tracks? to be setup in your house. This is quite a journey! While I sympathise with larry over his issue, I do not believe that all-glass is to blame, and infact, feel that if anything, this post should warrant more people choosing to buy from a company that is responsable enough to take care of their consumers when in a time of need. Even though larry clearly voided the warranty by building his own stand, I know from my dealings with all-glass, that this is a "subjective" situation where it is their discression as to whether the stand is sufficient for a tank of such a volume. I feel that they are doing a great service to larry in this time of crisis and misfourtune.

Larry, best of luck bud, I hope that things work out for you in this.

g
o
b
y

ladyballplayer
05/05/2000, 07:34 AM
It's been said a hundred times already but I am so really sorry and understand the frustration - but you love this like the rest of us and I hope you suck it up and let them ship a new tank to you and slowly rebuild. Thats half the fun anyway - collecting aquascaping, etc. And perhaps those folks who rescued your babies will be kind in turn and return some or propogate them to return them to your new tank one day.

Leyla

------------------
LadyBallPlayer
http://www.geocities.com/ladybeachlover

Larry M
05/05/2000, 07:43 AM
goby--I appreciate your thoughts and comments, but as a point of clarification: building your own stand does not void the warranty. The warranty says the tank must be placed on a flat, level aquarium stand. It does not say you cannot build your own.

------------------
Larry M

Aescleah
05/05/2000, 10:01 AM
O larry i am so sorry that your tank creaked.i know you worked so hard on it and you have my support in any way i can help you .
hang in there i think we all had something like this happen in one form or another

Ashley

goby
05/05/2000, 10:13 AM
larry,

you are correct, and I did mess up with that part... it USED to be that the warranty was 1 year with anything other than their stand, and 7 years if you bought their stand, but as I also stated, All-glass is usually very forgiving of their policies and will do just about anything to make you a happy consumer.

glad to hear (from them at all-glass) that they are helping you out in your situation. they are apparently getting flooded with calls and emails regarding your situation, and my good friend Dawn Z. who works at all-glass said that they are doing everything that they can to make sure that you are compensated for this problem.

g.

------------------
It's all fun and games until someone looses and eye....
www.iag.net/~vigg (http://www.iag.net/~vigg)

Larry M
05/05/2000, 10:53 AM
Well, maybe not exactly a happy ending, but not bad either....I just submitted a bill to All-Glass via email for all costs associated with the tank breakage (at least, as thorough a list as humanly possible) and have already received a call from them saying they will pay it. So it appears they indeed will go the extra mile in the name of customer service.

As for the campaign on my behalf....I never intended for this to be an arm-twisting thread directed at All-Glass; I have no reason to believe they would not have acted the same in any situation. But, at this point I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth :) just glad for what I can salvage out of this.

Some costs can never be recovered or even a number put on them, but I have to say my faith in humanity certainly got a positive boost from the incident. It's' nice to know how many people care, and it's very nice to know there are still companies around that will offer excellent customer service like All-Glass has done.

------------------
Larry M

Targus
05/05/2000, 01:08 PM
Great news!

------------------
See my tank at
http://users1.ee.net/ohioart/abzutu/the_real_webpage001.htm

portelli
05/05/2000, 02:03 PM
Larry I saw a web page(don't ask me where or to whom it belonged) but his 400 gallon tank broke. He had a really cool setup, built into the wall. A 55gal mangrove tank, a 300gal saltwater pond all hooked up to the same system. He upgraded to a 900 gal tank. So you should look at this experience as a character builder. Upgrade to at least a 250 now. Patch the 125 and use it as a sump. You know people from this board would help you stock it.

As for problems with tanks, I know how it goes. My tank broke also, on the bottom. It did not have any livestock in it though. And I was able to drain it before more than a drip escaped.

Take care.

cjdevito
05/05/2000, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by portelli:
Larry I saw a web page(don't ask me where or to whom it belonged) but his 400 gallon tank broke.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Rice. Great guy.

Outerbank
05/05/2000, 03:32 PM
I am very glad to see that there are very good companies out there regarding customer service. I have an all-glass tank and it has served me well for the 6 years that I have had it.

Scott

OrionN
05/05/2000, 10:14 PM
Larry,
I also offer to send a few frags when, not if, you decide to restart your tank.

------------------
Minh Nguyen
Visit my reef at:
http://sites.netscape.net/austinnguyen/homepage

Heinrich
05/05/2000, 11:02 PM
Allglass's customer service is excellent, but it is unusual that although all tanks have the same handling allgalss tanks have a far higher likelyhood of breaking. It could be that they produce so many that they lack the time to check them or what I think is that they do not calculate the other stressors of transport and storage into their design. So the tank will be able to withstand regular stress, but will it be able to stand being wedged between crates and layers of other tanks in the wholesalers for months? I don't think they calculate that. Somehow other manufacturers don't have the problems ascociated with allglass.
It's probably a combination of factors and that they sell a lot of aquariums. So there are more aquariums out there and more of them are going to break. Still I personally rather spend the extra cash on a nice tank.

Larry glad to hear that everything went well and that the service of allglass was kind to you keep up the good work. And hopefully soon there will be a time when you get a chance to set everything back up again.
93! Heinrich

Deacon
05/07/2000, 11:03 PM
oh man, I was out of the country for about a week and just came across this thread.

Thanks, Larry, for your your usual positive attitude thru all of this. I'm sorry about your losses. I have to admit my first reaction was a selfish one - I was afraid you were going to leave RC.

Trust me when I say this is really hitting home with me (I just set up an AGA 125 in my dining room about 2 months ago)...yikes.

Rich

Fishwife
05/08/2000, 05:20 AM
Hey Larry - I have a beautiful colt coral looking for a brand new home - a little crowded in my 75 but would love your new 180 :D :D. I'll hold on to him for a while - let me know!

Laurie

------------------
Fishwife

"By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea..."

Gary S
05/08/2000, 06:07 AM
Larry,

I'm really sorry to hear about your tank. What a bummer after all of that work. It sounds like something that would happen to me with my lousy luck. If you need any help at all I am ready and available. I only live a few blocks away. Maybe I could buy some of your live rock or corals? If you are looking for a place to keep them for awhile my tank is really not very crowded and is in the best condition it has ever been since I have had it. All livestock healthy and growing.

Let me know how I can help!

Gary S.

612-310-4384
952-882-8914
gary_schultze@isd.net

Clam Man
05/08/2000, 08:14 AM
I can't believe this!!! My deeeepest sympathy. Misery loves company...While I was away this weekend three large colt corals decided to die and killed all of my fish, shrimp and even the stinken amphopods!!! Over $1,000 worth with no restituion :( other than my wife allowing me to restock when we have the funds. South of the river must be condemed. The year before I lost much of my house and both cars. Now your tank and my livestock what next??? If you do have the notion for a large tank again you can have all the frags you want as I now have to kill them when I prune the SPS's.

CleveYank
05/08/2000, 12:01 PM
Bad deal in the cards Larry sorry to hear about your calamity.

Hope you listen to your wife and try again.

Your setups are well laid out and nice to look at as far as internet pictures go.

Listen to the Mrs. and set another one up. Look at it this way. What is the chance of lightning striking twice? That room is now disaster proof!

Rigby
05/08/2000, 08:48 PM
Larry, I hate this happened to you. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help over the last year. I couldn't have set up my first tank without you. I look back on all the dumb questions that you answered for me personally and the kind words you said one time to the effect"glen, you seem like someone who is really going to grasp this hobby, stick with it, and do well." I have looked to you for advice and it has all proved to have been the right thing to do. Thanks again and again I am really sorry this happeded to you.
glen