PDA

View Full Version : Do alot of people buy these moonlight things? Possible venture and want input.

thomor25
01/09/2004, 05:55 PM
I was reading and looking through the for sale forum and saw people selling these leds and people selling moonlights but they wern't of any quality, some guy was selling them for 18 bucks and they were just stuck in a piece of wood. Some people don't know how to put one together so selling leds to them won't do any good. I was wondering if there was any money to be made making these? I already have scoped out parts and come out with a price for them if I did start this. The lights would come in a box and each led would be angled depending on the number of leds. like if they wanted 3 leds the center would be pointing straight down and the 2 on either side would be at 45 degree angles. These would be running off of a 3v ac adapter. Would you think people would buy these if I offered them for sale in different led configurations of like 3 leds up to 20 leds? Starting price for a 3 led version would be around $25 without shipping which would including 3 leds box ac adpater and everything, the cheapest I've seen is the CSL Moon-Lite which has 1 led and goes for 29.99.

JonK
01/09/2004, 06:03 PM
I was always interested in getting a moonlight but like you said. 30 bucks for one and I figured I'd need at least 3 to get a decent look to it. If you could build one for that price with 3 led's built into it I'm sure alot of people would be interested. It doesn't have to be pretty either, no one would see it as far as most setups are concerned. At least mine anyway.

Jon

Bill King
01/09/2004, 06:11 PM
I just got a hood from Champion to replace my "Eclipse".
It's a 30 in. hood with 2 pc's & 2 "moonlights".
I think it's "way cool" for looks.
I don't think I would want more than 2 moon lights over a 30 in. span. It's actually quite bright. If people start seeing this it's liable to really take off. The "shimmer" created would hook me in a minute.
Good luck,

Bill

thomor25
01/09/2004, 06:14 PM
I was gonna put them in a plastic electronics box that screws together and cover the exposed electronics on the inside with hot glue gun type material to keep condensation away, this won't help with the wooden block deal this other guy has or is doing cause water evaporates especially with hot lights over open water. I also don't know what colors to do, probally just clear and the atinic leds.

Tagamet
01/09/2004, 10:59 PM
Thoromor25 - check out the nano-reef forum. There are a TON of posts there about people experimenting with lighting the whole nano tank with LEDs. It's a really hot topic the last year or so. It's likely that you could parlay your knowledge into something very profitable.
HTH,
Tagamet

thomor25
01/09/2004, 11:02 PM
I'm wondering if there is a large market tho cause I don't want to spend 400 dollars on parts and only sell 4 and have 920 leds and 50-100 some ac adapters and electronic boxes laying around.

Tagamet
01/10/2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by thomor25
I'm wondering if there is a large market tho cause I don't want to spend 400 dollars on parts and only sell 4 and have 920 leds and 50-100 some ac adapters and electronic boxes laying around.

Nobody has a crystal ball to divine demand, but all I meant was that you could post a question over in the nano forum. You dojn't want to make it a "commercial" for a product though.
Tagamet