PDA

View Full Version : online order - not live rock

EvilMel
01/08/2004, 06:13 PM
Anypme have some stuff they want to order online and want to split shipping?

All I need is a yellow watchman goby but I could probably buy more stuff if any of you only want a couple of things.

Mel
ps I have looked at a couple of websites:
exoticfish
marinedepot
But if you have another suggestion, let me know.

Kennetht
01/08/2004, 07:26 PM
I am fairly sure that my LFS has a small yellow watchman in stock right now. It might save you some money. I MAY be coming to the meeting and could bring it to you.

imsqueak
01/09/2004, 12:04 AM
Hi Mel,

I can add a little more to my 55 till my other tank is ready. I only checked out marinedepot but nothing jumped out at me. I'm sure that if you find others to decide on the source, I can join in for a fish or two. I havent been to saltwaterfish.com for a while but they offer free s/h for over $75 which isnt hard to do by yourself, much less with 2-3 others. I've bought from them before and they are very good. I'm probably in once you/we figure out where to buy from.

stevensmd
01/09/2004, 07:50 AM
If we get enough interest to split the shipping, I'm in for a fish or two..
dave

EvilMel
01/09/2004, 09:16 AM
Hey kennetht,

If I buy one from a local fish store its gonna be from the coral reef.
Hands down.

I need to support that store more than I do, they are really nice to our club.

I was thinking of getting some other fish as well, that's why I eventually decided to go with online (some ones they don't typically have and can't seem to get).

So everyone let me know what you are looking for. I will decide on a place to order from and let you know.

Mel

imsqueak
01/09/2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Mel, I checked out Dr fosters/Liveaquaria. You know they are out of your gobie? I also checked out saltwaterfish.com, they are out of them too, but the have a banded watchman on sale that looks cool. They should have taken a better shot, you can see a bright spot on it's dorsal but the dorsal isnt extended. They are out of more than what they have in but I noticed that about Dr F's also. Personally, I like the purple tang that's on sale for $50 (Dr F's is $70+shpg and they are out of stock). I'd like some schooling fish also which are fairly cheap everywhere incl LFS. And I'm gonna need a huge clean up crew soon also. I can probably find something I'd want about anywhere.

SmartWrasse
01/09/2004, 09:33 PM
You big tank guys are making me jealous. :rolleyes:

Pandarian
01/09/2004, 10:54 PM
its okay mike, one day, we will get our turn. untill then, our 75gs are bigger then nanos ;)

ill be interesting in a group buy mel, but i dont really need anything. let me know if you do order something though.

easttn
01/10/2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by EvilMel
Hey kennetht,

If I buy one from a local fish store its gonna be from the coral reef.
Hands down.

I need to support that store more than I do, they are really nice to our club.

I was thinking of getting some other fish as well, that's why I eventually decided to go with online (some ones they don't typically have and can't seem to get).

So everyone let me know what you are looking for. I will decide on a place to order from and let you know.

Mel

Today I bought a beautiful Seriatopora from Kivin today, I agree 110%. I'll see you all next w/e. I met another reefer in K-town to pick up my new 180, its really a lot bigger than I thought. Perrrrrfect.

stevensmd
01/11/2004, 08:57 AM
what's kivin?

EvilMel
01/11/2004, 02:59 PM
Hey Don,
I checked out saltwaterfish.com and I can't have one of those banded gobies. It's too big for my shrimp, unless I want it to eat my shrimp. I need one of the ones that is smaller than that.

I think I am gonna wait for a week or two and see if liveaquaria.com gets in my yellow watchman goby. I really badly want these other gobies that they sell that I can't ever seem to get. They are the greenbanded gobies. I LOVE those fish. They are easily my favorite fish and I can't ever find them. Seems they are being tank raised now, which is really cool. So I really want to order from these guys.

Anyone care if we wait a couple of weeks?

Mel

Sir Knight
01/11/2004, 03:19 PM
Hey Mel,
Check this link out I think I will make your day
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/collectors_corner.cfm?ref=2088&subref=AB

imsqueak
01/11/2004, 05:26 PM
Wow, I love that blue carpet anemony(sp?), and purple acro!

awcurl
01/11/2004, 06:11 PM
I'd like to order a couple things also, let me know when your ready.

Art

imsqueak
01/11/2004, 08:31 PM
I can, of course, wait a couple weeks. It's actually better for me. Just let me know when and I'm in for "something".

EvilMel
01/11/2004, 10:01 PM
Hey Joe,

Yeah that's the place I REALLY want to order from because of those gobies. I almost DIED when I saw that they have them. They have them pretty consistently too. I have been dreaming of ordering like 10 of those. But that's like $160 which is more than I have right now, or really ever.

Man I gotta get a job. I will be so glad to finish my freakin dissertation.

Thanks alot for the link.

Mel

EvilMel
01/17/2004, 02:35 PM
Hey so let's get this order stuff going again.

Does everyone know of somethng they want at liveaquaria.com?

Otherwise, as long as I can get my yellow watchman goby, I would possibly be willing to order from somewhere else (though everyone knows how bad I want to order from liveaquaria.com).

But I am flexible, I can always wait a bit longer to get limestripe gobies.

So everyone look and see if you want to order something from there and let me know.

Mel

cee
01/17/2004, 04:44 PM
There's a good chance I will place an order through Jeff's Exotic Fish on Wednesday for Friday delivery (I'll be out of town until then). If anyone's interested in anything, email me privately (uncarina@att.net).

Dave (the new guy at the meeting)

EvilMel
01/17/2004, 05:29 PM
Which part of town do you live in?

cee
01/17/2004, 05:53 PM
I'm in Clinton, but would probably have them hold the shipment at the FedEX office off of Pellissippi and I-40. If you're interested, we could meet there. This all assumes Jeff gets the tricolor acro and A. solitaryensis in I'm interested in. I usually do a medium box, $8 box charge and $33 overnight. Can get 4-6 items in the box, depending on size. Jeff's got some nice gobies on sale now, so you might check his site. Post a pic of that mysterious SPS you were describing at Coral Reef, and I'll see if I can help you ID it.

llpoolej
01/17/2004, 06:43 PM
The stuff flies into the office off of Alcoa highway(turn next to the Waffle house) You could probably get it quicker with less transit there.

Sorry for the butinski

imsqueak
01/17/2004, 06:50 PM
Mel,
If you stick with your guys, I'd like to get CN-78595 SW - Spiny Lobster, Blue (IO) - Medium $ 18.99 Hey, I've paid lots more for lobster that probably did stay with me more than 24 hrs! Hopefully this one will last a couple years.

Don

stevensmd
01/17/2004, 08:11 PM
I'm still in for a yellow watchman.
do you know if they sell a clown and bta matched?
dave

EvilMel
01/18/2004, 10:54 AM
I don't know what a bta is. Blue tentacled anemone maybe?

I can check but if you get and anemone and a compatible clown fish, they will pair up.

Or atleast that has been what I have heard and experienced.

commiphora let me think about it for a day or so. I have to check to see if they have the other goby I want in stock at Jeff's but I will probably just get with thse guys and order from liveaquaria.com

Mel
ps Julie, yr no butinski.

Sir Knight
01/18/2004, 10:58 AM
Mel,
BTA = Bubble Tip anemone

I have had a bad experience with Jeff's Exotic Fish and there are a few posts in the vendors forum about them.

Don,
Spiny Lobster, Blue (IO) are not reef safe

just trying to help

imsqueak
01/18/2004, 06:21 PM
Oh darn, lobsters dont eat coral, they use them for camo. I'll have to see what's behind this. Mel, they dont have any fish I want so put me on "hold" for now.

Sir Knight
01/18/2004, 11:25 PM
Don,
The lobster and lobsters in general grow from 12" to 15". They will kill fish, etc. They are not really reef safe with any fish or invert. Some lobsters do eat coral but I don't think the Blue spiny does, however it will eat everything else in your tank. They also spend most of the time hiding in the rock work.
If you are going to have a tank for him only they are pretty cool, but they are messy eaters.

They do make a good meal. :)

I would not recommend them for a mixed tank

Just trying to help

imsqueak
01/19/2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks Joe, you've never steered me wrong so I'll take your word on it. Darn, it sure would look cool though. More reminders of home, look for the antena sticking out of the rock and go get em! But if they arent a dwarf version invert, I think it only takes them about 2-3 yrs to reach reproduction size which is about 8". I'd have the delima of to big for tank, to small for the plate for about another year! and I couldnt eat him after raising him for so long...

Mel,

I'll check out their fish stock again and let you know.

cee
01/19/2004, 09:01 PM
OK, I read your posts about Jeff''s, but I've had pretty good luck with his stuff. I've ordered twice, and the only complaint I have is one blue spot jawfish I ordered from him did not make it. I don't have a lot of experience ordering fish from him, except for the purple tang which is doing awesomely! I went to Atlanta (Capp. Bay) and found my Acropora solitaryensis (had to buy a frag, he wanted $179 for the colony), a nice green Acro with two Acro crabs, a sweet purple goniopora, and a beautiful orange cap frag. That about blows my budget for the month, so I won't be ordering from Jeff soon. Also, if anyone's interested, Dr. Mac is offering a free crocea clam for orders placed before Wednesday (with a minimum, of course!) I ordered some really nice nanos from him, and his prices on those were great. Just hope they grow up...

EvilMel
01/19/2004, 10:17 PM
What's the website for that place commiphora?

My complain about jeff's is really dumb. I don't think they are very nice on the phone. They haven't been outwardly rude or anything so I should not even say a word about it.

I have ordered from them and never had a problem.

But you never know, with most places SOMEONE is gonna have a bad experience. I just don't see why when I pay for shipments to arrive at 10am they get there at 4-5pm EVERY TIME. No matter who I order from (thanks FedEx!).

Don, we can wait a week or so more if you want. I don't think anyone HAS to order now. I can wait a bit, it you want to wait til you are closer to having your tank done.

Mel
ps anyone else care if we wait a week or so?

cee
01/20/2004, 07:58 AM
drmaccorals.com -- mainly corals and inverts, very limited fish.
Capp. Bay in Atlanta doesn't have a website, try atlantareefclub.org for address, etc.

imsqueak
01/20/2004, 08:11 PM
Mel,

We looked last night and didnt really see anything of particular interest, if you have enough to go over $175 dont wait for me. If not, I could use some cleaning critters for now. My big tank will be SEVERAL weeks before it's up and running.

Don