PDA

View Full Version : computer help

bmkindig
01/07/2004, 10:25 PM
hey you computer guys
can anyone help me my computer is running really slow,it's an antique but it's getting worse i thought maybe it was the battery i replaced it and it's still slowing down the clock loses like an hour per day i've tried defragging and running scandiskand shutting it down for like an hour and then turning it back on.
now the last time i tried rebooting i got a "fatal error"that is causing windows to be unstable i'm thinking it might be time for a new tower!i know 1 big problem is that i'm running windows 98 the 1st edition which i just found out a few months ago when i bought a new printer and a digital camera that i can't either of i have read alot of you guys know alot about computers and even built the famos bytor a new system!! i can't afford i new system right now but some advise may help i have down some of my own upgrades so i have some tech support experince.
thanks
brad

GarSrtn
01/07/2004, 10:44 PM
There's lots of reasons a computer can start running slow. Barring any big hardware things (funky ram or things), it's usually software. Things like spyware, anti-virus, or any new installs can eat up cpu time if they require background processes. If you replaced the cmos battery, and your BIOS allows it, you may need to reset the cpu/ram speed.

bmkindig
01/07/2004, 10:55 PM
hey chris
is that in the startup menu like setting up a hard drive or changing other settings?
another thing recentlly bought was a new virus scan but can't use because theres one of the same kind already installed, can i delete that from there also.
thanks
brad

Tagamet
01/08/2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by bmkindig
hey chris
is that in the startup menu like setting up a hard drive or changing other settings?
another thing recentlly bought was a new virus scan but can't use because theres one of the same kind already installed, can i delete that from there also.
thanks
brad

Brad,
You've done some of the good stuff already. especaillly defragging the hard drive, which can cause a major slow down. Do you know what programs are loading autoimatically when you boot up? That's another way to eat up cpu cycles without seeing it going on in the background. Some programs don't even put a little icon in the lower right system tray to show that they are active. Try booting up and holding down the shift key as soon as you see the windows flash screen. Keep holding it down until it's totally booted. This should give you a "clean boot" without background programs going on. If you still see a lot of icons in the tray, you didn't hold the shift key at the right time, or released it too soon. Try again.
You have to uninstall the first virus scan before installing a new one. Just go into control panel and use "add/remove" programs. reboot, and install the new one. On an old machine you might not be able to run it full time in the background without hurting your speed. These are the simple things to try. If they don't help, we can delve into the mysteries of the system BIOS.
HTH,
Tagamet

sixpackrt
01/08/2004, 01:37 AM
get a program like adware or spybot to look for spy ware
also did you clean out your cache in internet explorer?
also cookies take up alot of space i delete them when i see my computer is running slow

i also got windows 98 second edition if you need it put on your computer and also norton system works
pm me and let me know

list your computers specs

Ron

bmkindig
01/08/2004, 02:29 AM
tag
i have 3 icons on my lower right toolbar,i've disabled that kind of stuff b-4 thanks

sixpackrt
cookies is a great possibilty and cleaning out cache i've heard those terms b-4 but have never played with them althought i was looking though my programs 1 time not that long ago and i did ask a friend at work about cookies because theres a alot of them in there. how can i delete that stuff?
i have i cyrix 166mzh with mmx processor 80 mag ram simms and dimms mixed,a 5.1 gig hard drive formatted into 3 drives due to the age of the machine and it couldn't handle 1 large drive,48x cd drive,4x cdburner,an actiontec 56kcallwaiting modem,soundblaster 16 audio card,intel eye laser mouse,my keyboard is still the origanal ibm,a dual usb port and a 4plug hub(not working)hope this info helps i can't think of what else you might need.
the whole system needs a tuneup half the stuff i have doesn't work right but i deal with it.
thanks
brad

sixpackrt
01/08/2004, 03:23 AM
in internet explorer go to tools then internet options then
you will see where to delete the cookies and will see delete files
a pop up will open up i also delete the stuff stored on the computer hit ok all done

also you might be having problems with your harddrive because of the 3 partions
whens the last time you formated your hardrive?
and reinstalled windows 98?
i do it on my computer 1 a year
Ron

bmkindig
01/08/2004, 03:59 AM
i formatted the hard drive when i installed it that was like 5 years ago and i guess something is wrong with window that i would be getting a fatal error messagebut it only does it at the bootup.

i just deleted the cookies still no luck and cleaned up some temperory files bye using disk cleanup. another thing that i'm noticed is that i'm loseing my cursor when i type it like stops flashing and hides.
thanks
brad

sixpackrt
01/08/2004, 04:46 AM
press ctrl alt del and count how many programs are running in the back ground

Ron

GarSrtn
01/08/2004, 06:54 AM
hey chris
thanks
brad

Yes, that should be what I'm talking about. It would be a text-only menu (dos-like) that would allow you to alter features of your computer. Different computers allow different settings changes. Yours may allow little or none. Be cautious when mucking around in this area.

What is the specific error message?

If it's been 5 years since you've wiped and reinstalled, it may be time to do just that. Be sure to backup your data first.

Snookie
01/08/2004, 08:35 AM
Bmkindig, holy cow! By the looks of your specs, you got your money's worth! :eek2:

71goalie
01/08/2004, 10:16 AM
Brad,

I also have Windows 98 second edition if you need it. We're a little closer to each other than sixpackrt. Let me know if I can help.

Doug

JonK
01/08/2004, 04:40 PM
Brad,

you can try using msconfig. Click on the run button, type in msconfig, and it will bring up a menu. Click on startup and it should list everything that boots up when your computer is turned on. Just uncheck things you don't need and click apply.

Could it be the ram that is causing your issues. I always thought you need the same type of ram in all slots???? maybe someone with more computer experience can chime in. I'm running XP so I don't remember if that msconfig thing works in 98 but I'm pretty sure it does.

Jon

71goalie
01/08/2004, 05:45 PM
yeah, msconfig is in windows 98, but you could really mess things up with it....

Tagamet
01/08/2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 71goalie
yeah, msconfig is in windows 98, but you could really mess things up with it....

I think you're thinking of regedit. That goes into the regestry where you really CAN mess things up. msconfig is relatively safe.
HTH,
Tagamet

71goalie
01/08/2004, 05:53 PM
that's right.... sorry about that. i work on windows 98 at work and my two computers have windows 2000 and xp on them. i confuse things sometimes.

for those of you who care, i fixed my problem from the other computer problem post - it was a corrupt dll file - mfc421loc.dll to be more specific. i just found it. thank god!!!!

71goalie
01/08/2004, 05:55 PM
brad,

if you are still having trouble next week, maybe we can do a two-for --> you can show me how to frag and i can see if i can find what's wrong with your computer.

Tagamet
01/08/2004, 06:52 PM

for those of you who care, i fixed my problem from the other computer problem post - it was a corrupt dll file - mfc421loc.dll to be more specific. i just found it. thank god!!!!

Those dll's will get you every time. Tough to track down, too. Glad you got it straightened out.
Tagamet

bmkindig
01/08/2004, 09:40 PM
wow guys i guess i was at work to long today!!!!!!!!
sixpack= i count 10 and i know of 2 that should be open
chris=i'll have to write it down next time it happens if at all i just noticed it because i had to reboot
snookie=yeah i think so i bought this system in 1992 and upgraded a few times.i started with windows 3.1
goalie=that might be cool we will see what happens next
jon=yeah i was confused when i took my old ram and added it to this system this motherboard takes simms and dimms ram
thanks guys i got some checking into things to do
later
brad

Tagamet
01/08/2004, 09:51 PM
wow guys i guess i was at work to long today!!!!!!!!
sixpack= i count 10 and i know of 2 that should be open
chris=i'll have to write it down next time it happens if at all i just noticed it because i had to reboot
snookie=yeah i think so i bought this system in 1992 and upgraded a few times.i started with windows 3.1
goalie=that might be cool we will see what happens next
jon=yeah i was confused when i took my old ram and added it to this system this motherboard takes simms and dimms ram
thanks guys i got some checking into things to do
later
brad

Boy, everyone gets thanked but me. The guy steals my corals and then ignores me to boot. Harumph.
Tagamet

sixpackrt
01/08/2004, 09:53 PM
also if you use spybot the have a regestry editor you can uncheck
the stuff you dont use and it also deletes it if you want it to
when you use msconfig once you uncheck the stuff it doesnt load normal it loads in selective mode

Ron

bmkindig
01/08/2004, 10:06 PM
sorry larry
from the sounds of your post the were to others but your help is apreaicted!!!!
sixpack
whats a spybot?that's the 2nd time you mentioned it.

sixpackrt
01/08/2004, 10:33 PM
spy bot is a program that checks your computer for spyware
companys put cookies on your computer and tracks your every move you run spy bot and it looks for it and then you can remove it

heres a link SPYBOT (http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download)

Ron

bmkindig
01/08/2004, 10:52 PM
well i tried some of these things my system is still messed up but it's seems to be loading programs quicker it's 10:45ish i'm going to try to reboot my system and see if it becomes more stable and i'll try to get the fatal error message i don't know y i didn't in the 1st place. hope to be back online bye like 11:00-11:15
lets keep your fingers crossed!!!
thanks guys
brad

bmkindig
01/08/2004, 11:22 PM
i'm back and heres the deal so far
the 1st error i get is: enfpxluk this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
i don't even know what this program iswhen i close that down the computer seems fine then when i go to sign on to the internet it gets about 1/2 way connected a then this message shows up : fatal exception oe has occurred at 0028:coo1f44a making windows unstable it a blue screen and says hit an button to continue or hit ctrl alt delete to restart
if i hit a button the modem continues and then gives a aol error messege shows up and locks my computer up completely thats when i started running defrag,scan disk....
thanks
brad

sixpackrt
01/08/2004, 11:30 PM
ok which aol are you running?
if its 9.0 get rid of it and what was the last thing you installed
did you get the error messages after you installed it?

i would really consider formating the hard drive and reinstalling windows

do you do any windows updates on your computer?

Ron

Tagamet
01/08/2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by sixpackrt
ok which aol are you running?
if its 9.0 get rid of it and what was the last thing you installed
did you get the error messages after you installed it?
i would really consider formating the hard drive and reinstalling windows
do you do any windows updates on your computer?
Ron

Make sure that you copy your documents and pictures onto cd's before formatting. I know that's obvious, but worth stating. Given the hassle and the age of your machine, I'd be looking for a cheap new computer,, or an abacus, or go ByTor's route and have people donate parts. I still have a case, power supply and cd burner if you want them. You*could* still use your old hard drive, keyboard, mouse, cd drive and monitor, of course. At the VERY least, you're over due for a format/reinstall procedure, but that will also involve either updating your bios, or partitioning your hard drive again (not a novice procedure, but I have no idea what your skills are.
Just my two cents.
Tagamet

bmkindig
01/09/2004, 12:33 AM
hey tag
i've got the patients and can make the time but i relay on tech support
for that fact i can just have someone get me a barebones system since i have a burner cd drive just but i have to think this out

bmkindig
01/09/2004, 01:36 AM
hey guys
thanks i think i got this thing working betterat least no errors and running faster for now?i found some things in a few different places that helped.the best 1 was the msconfig.
thanks for all the help
brad

thomor25
01/09/2004, 03:44 PM
Well if you ever want a new computer let me know I did bytors, I can build one and load it full of stuff and ship it to you. Let me know if you ever want to get a new one.

bmkindig
01/09/2004, 03:50 PM
thomor25
i was talking with sixpacker and he said the that he built bytors computer i think i remember it being a joint effort thou and he said the same thing. my other question is how much$$$
thanks
brad

71goalie
01/09/2004, 04:11 PM
thomor25

you get any good deals on parts? my dad is looking for a new computer. i was thinking about putting one together myself or even have you do it. just a point of curiosity.

i've also been trying to get a better quality tv capture card for my computer. I have a hauppauge card but i am unhappy with it's quality. have any experience with this? i sort of wanted to turn my pc into a digital video recorder.

if anyone is interested in just watching tv on their pc, the card i have is perfect if you want to watch tv while surfing the web. i can offer it to someone as a trade at the frag meeting.

Fizz71
01/09/2004, 04:27 PM
I missed this thread when it was started, but I'll chime in...

When my PC starts getting really bad, or I have friends with PCs that are getting bad, I basically reccommend what I refer to as a "digital enema". Back the sucker up, format it, and start over. Pretty harsh, but effective.

Over time you just get pounded with applications that install into your memory when the PC starts, not to mention the crap that doesn't go away on it's own and uninstalls improperly. It took me a while to find a error I would receive after my PC was up for a few minutes..it turned out to be a memory resident program for software I removed months ago. The program was launching from a command in registry.

Anyway...My most recent digital enema was about 6 months ago. My PC is far from top of the line, but I don't need my home PC to do much more than browse the web, do my bills and edit some images.

I will also add that if you don't need a bruiser of a PC with things like a hefty video card, DVD burners, yada yada yada, you can probably get a decent box for around $300. I haven't been to a show in about 6 months, but that's what they were going for. Keep in mind that that price was WITHOUT a monitor..just a BOX, mouse and keyboard (and cheap-*ss speakers). It's generic, but I've been using mine for about 2 years now.

Now if you want to play the latest games in high definition, or edit digital media..it can get expensive. Hell, a good video card these days runs for more than my PC...it's sad really....but the industry has the teenage geek market in their back pockets.

--Fizz

Fizz71
01/09/2004, 04:31 PM
thomor25

you get any good deals on parts? my dad is looking for a new computer. i was thinking about putting one together myself or even have you do it. just a point of curiosity.

i've also been trying to get a better quality tv capture card for my computer. I have a hauppauge card but i am unhappy with it's quality. have any experience with this? i sort of wanted to turn my pc into a digital video recorder.

if anyone is interested in just watching tv on their pc, the card i have is perfect if you want to watch tv while surfing the web. i can offer it to someone as a trade at the frag meeting.

How bad is the quality? I have a brooktree based device that I can't get to work in Windows 2000 Home Edition. Depending on what driver I use I either get crappy video or crappy sound...and it's one or the other..never sound and video at the same time. :)

But hell..the card is 2 years olds ATLEAST..probably more like 4. I used to love to watch TV in a little window while I worked on my PC.

Let me know what you want for it if it's not that bad for TV AND YOU HAVE A WINDOWS 2000 DRIVER! :)

--Fizz

bmkindig
01/09/2004, 04:39 PM
hey guys
i've stick with my 27inch tv at a 45 degree turn of the neck.
brad

thomor25
01/09/2004, 05:06 PM
Price really depends on what kind of parts you want, I usually get them from newegg.com so you can lookup prices there. as far as digital video stuff I would get one of the all in wonder cards by ati, you don't need the newest but anyone of their all in wonder cards going 1.5 years back will do wonderfully and they come with vivo which is a video or software version of tivo. I did my girlfriends fathers computer for $460 but that was with a monitor that was 100 bucks. If you just need the tower depending on the parts it will be around 300-350 adding the all in woder card will raise the price tho.

This was the computer i bult for her father
11-132-021 CASE PS|BEIGE 025U-B-SF 300W RTL 1 $26.00 $26.00

13-131-433 MB ASUS NFORCE A7N266-VM/LAN/AA RT 1 $65.00 $65.00

19-103-317 CPU AMD|1900+/266 ATHLON 1.6G XP % 1 $52.00 $52.00

20-209-001 DDRAM 256MB|PMI 32X64 184P PC2100 % 1 $37.50 $37.50

22-140-133 HD 40GB|MAXTOR 6E040L0 72R ATA133 % 1 $57.00 $57.00

23-131-100 KB-2000 107-KEY WIN98 PS/2 RTL 1 $4.00 $4.00

24-134-022 *MNTR HITACHI|17" CRT V700 RTL 1 $90.00 $90.00

25-131-005 MODEM AOPEN PCI V.92 FM56-SVV RTL 1 $11.00 $11.00

26-104-137 MSE LOGITECH|SBF69 OPTCL WHL PS/2% 1 $11.00 $11.00

27-106-199 CDRW LITEON|52X32X52X LTR-52327S % 1 $36.99 $36.99

35-103-125 CPU FAN|DP5-6I11A CM(1.4/900MHZ) RT 1 $4.00 $4.00

36-154-006 SPKR AOPEN|MS-698C SPEAKERS GRAY RT 1 $10.00 $10.00

sixpackrt
01/09/2004, 06:48 PM
i like the asus mother boards

Ron

71goalie
01/09/2004, 08:16 PM
the tv card works fine for watching tv. it is the recording part i'm not happy with. since the audio is mono, i get a funny humming sound on my home theater unless i change the sound to stereo. the picture is not bad on the tv. if you want to check it out, it is a hauppauge wintv go pci card listed @ circuitcity. a few frags would probably work for me.

as far as the computer, i am partial to intel processors. something like a 2.0 should be fine for him. he would need a 128MB video card because, you guessed it, he wants to be able to play his Nascar 2004 game he got for christmas :)

before you go crazy, let me talk to him and i'll write down a few specs that we're looking for so we're not guessing - thanks

thomor25
01/09/2004, 08:34 PM
the tv card works fine for watching tv. it is the recording part i'm not happy with. since the audio is mono, i get a funny humming sound on my home theater unless i change the sound to stereo. the picture is not bad on the tv. if you want to check it out, it is a hauppauge wintv go pci card listed @ circuitcity. a few frags would probably work for me.

as far as the computer, i am partial to intel processors. something like a 2.0 should be fine for him. he would need a 128MB video card because, you guessed it, he wants to be able to play his Nascar 2004 game he got for christmas :)

before you go crazy, let me talk to him and i'll write down a few specs that we're looking for so we're not guessing - thanks

Ahh ok, i like amd cause well they are cheap and do the same in performace, the only difference is when teh heatsink is off, which should never be done, the amd frys itself and intels just crawl to a stop with no damage.