PDA

View Full Version : Algae for me to

heavensent58
01/06/2004, 07:49 PM
Hey just got a 55 setup over the weekend and got her all setup Now 3 days later the algae creeps in. I used 35 gallons of original water and added about 10 of my own. (no ro/di) propably dumb but... Hey never had this happen so fast. Only have about 15 # L/R and a few snails that were in the sandbed. BEST WAY to get rid of ? Add snails or wait till tank settles down ?

Thanks
Todd

Fishguru
01/06/2004, 10:10 PM
I would suggest waiting atleast another week before adding cleanup, give the algae a chance to burn up the nutrients from the non-RO/DI water before you put the snails in. The tank is still going to have a major cycle as the amount of water form the old setup isnt truly enough bacteria to handle the tank. Give a week, preferably 2, then it should be good to go with the cleaners. I wouldnt mess too much with it as it sounds like it has a good start, just check your ammonia/nitrates over the next week. Also get a phosphate kit to see if it was from the non RO/DI. You could run some phosphate remover in a small bag near a powerhead, if it is high. I think time will heal, I would test the non Ro/DI water for phosphates etc, to see if this is a problem down the road-Brent

Fishguru
01/06/2004, 10:11 PM
Also, if you can avoid it, keep the lights off, if needed shorten the photo period-Brent