PDA

View Full Version : Myth 15

Scopaeniform
01/06/2004, 01:31 PM
I have always taken the stance that setting up a reef aquarium is something that should be done very slowly with a great deal of patience and reasearch. Working at a LFS, I have found that even customer's whos' hearts are set on building a reef aquarium rarely want to follow the advice of "waiting" is the best policy. I have never had a hard time selling the equipment we carry in the store, but it is hard to sell people on the idea that certain natural processes can take some time.

Customers who do not understand or buy into the idea that some things take time and there is no quick cure are the same people who are out of the fish/reef keeping hobby within a year.

EricHugo
01/24/2004, 11:28 PM
Right on!!!

sharks
01/24/2004, 11:51 PM
It is hard when they come in and see the display reef and want that overnight.
I just keep chanting the mantra
“Only bad things happen in a reef quickly, patients is rule #1�
I get more people frustrated with me telling them NO not yet, then for selling them all the crap they want knowing it’s too soon.
The real problem is that 60% of LFS customers don’t go online and many don’t even get a few good books. They just muddle through on LFS advice. Many times that is bad advice :(
I’m lucky that my boss knows that our prices are good when considering shipping costs online.
I recommended a few sites today. One guy asked if the owner would be OK with me telling people to look online :) I just explained that he would rather me be honest. If I fed you full of BS and you went online and learned that you would never come back. If I’m honest and our prices are competitive you will pay a few bucks more to pick your own stuff in the LFS and pick my brain :reading:

Great post Scopaeniform :thumbsup:

jaden1
02/08/2004, 02:48 PM
As someone who takes depleting wild stocks of fish and corals to be imported to stores and ultimately into poorly maintained aquaria, I must say that patience is something most people lack. I have set up and maintained hundreds reefs for customers while attending college in Dallas Texas. If people would just start out with fast growing hardy colonial corals they could grow wonderful tanks and just add some centre peices. After a few years of learning and watching these tanks they could go on to more sophisticated types of reefs. PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. IT will be rewarded in the long term. For us , our tanks and the oceans.