PDA

View Full Version : Requesting feedback on new aquarium setup

carleast
01/05/2004, 07:23 PM
I am starting to get back into the aquarium hobby and was wondering what you all thought about the following setup.

84"l x 24"w x 30"h acrylic tank
3/4 inch acrylic sides 1/2 inch acrylic top and bottom - also included euro bracing
Corner overflows with 1" threaded bulkheads
Center overflow with dual 1" threaded bulkhead
(4) 1" threaded bulkheads drilled into the back wall 6" from the top spaced evenly between the corner overflow and the center overflow
black backing

The corner overflows would be used for a closed loop circulation system.

The left center over flow would go to the 100gallon rubbermaid sump/refugium where heating, nitrate export, monitoring, etc. would happen.

The right center overflow would go to the protein skimmer. Probably an MRC mr-2 or mr-3.

The holes in the back wall are where the returns are going to be from the different overflows.

Should the calcium reactor attach to the skimmer or to the sump?

Any recommendations on acrylic tank manufacturers?

KenT
01/05/2004, 09:50 PM
Unless your space is limited, you will be happier with a wider tank. 30" will give you more room to work in the tank and more options for aquascaping.

Do not have the tank built by ATM in Vegas!!

carleast
01/05/2004, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately my wife won't let me rip the double window out of the casement so that is as wide as i can get through the single pane.

How you do like your aerofoamer? i was thinking about it but my reef creations skimmer seems good for about 1/2 the cost.

is your tank glass or acrylic? if it was acrylic who built it?

mhurley
01/06/2004, 11:58 AM
A few things...

I'd go 3/4" all around. Why skimp on the top? Remember, the top is where your big bright hot lights are going to be for years to come. Lots of stress up there.

I've never seen a closed loop done with an overflow? My concern there is the overflow keeping up with the pump and sucking lots of air. In my case, I've got an Ampmaster 3000 on my CL. I'd be pretty hard pressed to get an overflow that handles 3000 GPH, especially the 1" your talking about. Don't forget, there's virtually 0' head on a CL. As I've seen them (and have them), are fed by completely submerged bulkheads with strainers.

Mike

carleast
01/06/2004, 12:51 PM
Mike,

Ah the overflow not being able to supply the CL makes sense. but the center overflow should suffice for the skimmer and the sump/fuge correct?

should i go bigger than 1" on the corner bulkheads for the CL? if so what diameter would be good?

mhurley
01/06/2004, 01:41 PM
I was a little confused about the skimmer feed as you described it. You said "the right center overflow would go to the protein skimmer". Do you mean the right center will feed your sump and you'll have a skimmer in the sump? How can you feed a skimmer directly from an overflow?

I'd go 1 1/2" on those bulkheads. Simple reason...You can always put a PVC adapter on them to make them 1". You can't go the other direction and make a 1" hole a 1 1/2". Plus a 1 1/2" is a good size, for example, that's the inlet size for an Ampmaster 3000.

I have a single 2" overflow feeding my sump. I'm not as concerned about sump--> tank turnover as I am with intra-tank turnover (i.e. closed loops or powerheads). IMO, there's no need to have 3000 GPH going to and from the sump (even though I do), it's a waste... A skimmer will never pick up all that water. Again, that being said, I'd overengineer just in case your plumbing plans change. I'd drill them for 1 1/2's and adapt them to 1"...see how it does..If need be, you can open them up to 1 1/2.

Hope that helps.
Mike

carleast
01/06/2004, 08:36 PM
Mike,

let me make sure i understand. 1 1/2" bulkheads for the corners (no overflow just a strainer on the bulkhead)- these feed the closed loops. the center remains an overflow with dual 1 1/2" bulkheads that both could drain to the sump/fuge. the protein skimmer and ca reactor feed off of the sump/fuge.

mhurley
01/06/2004, 09:13 PM
Not necessarily...But maybe..How's that for ambigious?

I'd recommend two overflow boxes feeding your sump. If I could do mine again, I'd put one in either corner.

The closed loop feeds can be anywhere...Don't need to the the corners...Just at least 5" below the water line. My feeds are through the bottom of my tank and return dead center in the back. Like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/fullsandbed.jpg

See that triple strainer just to the right of the black overflow, coming up through the sandbed? That's my feed...Ends up surrounded with rock so it's hidden.

See those 2 black bulkheads on either side of the back panel (you can see the ball valves connected to them)? That's the CL return.

Hope that helps.

carleast
01/06/2004, 09:39 PM
mike,

How do you like your MyReef Equipment? I was looking at their skimmer and reactor. Do you need both the kalk and the calcium reactor. Thank you for your help.

mhurley
01/06/2004, 10:08 PM
I love MyReef's stuff, great quality, great price. Andy will work with you to build what you need. My skimmer is a semi-custom job that I paid basically the same price as a regular MR-3 for.

I like having both kalk and calcium reactors. Do I need both? Nope. I could probably get away with just the calcium reactor. However I like the benefits that kalk provides (raises pH, precipates phosphates).
At the moment, I can completely support my system on just kalk (I know this because my CO2 bottle emptied 2 months ago and I haven't filled it yet). But I've got about 20 different species of SPS growing from frags and when they get going, there's no way just the kalk will keep up.

Mike