PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Fish Store

thereefgeek
01/05/2004, 06:43 PM
Let's hear it folks. What's the best (or worst) place in town to buy your fish and inverts, supplies, etc? How about internet/mailorder?

Jus Reefin
01/05/2004, 07:14 PM
Well my pick for over all selection of Corals and Price I pick Exotic Aquarium. Customer service wise Tony and Maria at Aquaworld get my vote.

I think this new guy John at Nemo Aquatics is going to give everyone a run for there money once he is up and running

thedude
01/05/2004, 07:19 PM
I like Aqualife and O street. Haven't been to Exotic Aq., gonna have to give it a try. The people at Aquaworld are very nice, but the amount of flatworms in those coral tanks gives me the shivers.

Mailorder:
Drygoods - marine depot
Livestuff - cquarium.com because it is wysiwyg

Jus Reefin
01/05/2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by thedude
but the amount of flatworms in those coral tanks gives me the shivers.

Wow I have never noticed Flatworms in there tanks. I heard the same thing about TP but I have bought a ton of corals from them and (knock on wood) I have no flat worms to speak of.

JIM27
01/05/2004, 07:44 PM
My favorite is definatly Tropical Paradise. OK so its not really in town(its in San Leandro for those who don't know) but I've never seen so many sps frags and colonies in one store that are actually FOR SALE. Beats all the stores in our area. Second would be Aqualife, then Exotic.

thedude
01/05/2004, 08:46 PM
jusreefin,
Take a really close look at the coral tanks, you can't miss the worms. they are so thick they look like algae. Other than that their tanks are spotless, and very healthy. ton's of coralline growth in the coral tanks.

Photon
01/05/2004, 11:41 PM
My votes go to Aquatic Gallery and TP in the Bay area. I try to do business with all of the stores in the Sacramento area; however, sometimes the selection and quality is limited.
Exotic is pretty good and O Street is doing better in terms of inventory. Adam at Exotic is a lot of help and the lady at O street; however, I think some of the other people need to take a lesson in "customer service".

Mail order:
Premium Aquatics is great!

Rob,,,,,I hope your idea will work out. Need any help????

James

fhayward
01/06/2004, 01:09 AM
Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas; then Tropical Paradise in San Leandro. Otherwise, I'll stick with "O" Street and Dennis.

thereefgeek
01/06/2004, 05:58 PM
Believe it or not, sometimes you can actually find good inverts (not coral) at Pet Connection on Auburn Blvd. It's a sketchy, dank little place, but for hermits & shrimp, not bad. $18/lb. for live rock scares me though.

Jus Reefin
01/06/2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by thereefgeek
Believe it or not, sometimes you can actually find good inverts (not coral) at Pet Connection on Auburn Blvd. It's a sketchy, dank little place, but for hermits & shrimp, not bad. $18/lb. for live rock scares me though.

Ya Rob at Pet Connection is a very nice guy but not the best system for reefs. However I have to say I have been shopping with him for 10 years and if you get to know him he makes the best deals in town on equipment.

JIM27
01/06/2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by thereefgeek

I almost forgot about pet connection. I like that store. Not the best for reef animals like you said but I always buy my hermits/snails/shrimp from Rob. I bought my horn shark from him too.

Photon
01/06/2004, 10:22 PM
I drop in there occasionally, but have never bought anything. The prices on dry goods are really high. The musty smell gets to me, also. I agree with the $18/lb for live rock.....I saw that also and thought the same thing.
I need some hermits and shrimp so I will check them out again.
O Street got in some nice bright green "flowerpots".

camaro_girl_01
01/07/2004, 12:35 AM
Hmmmm.... Overall, I think Capitol Aquarium and Aqualife are my favorites. Capitol has always had the coral I wanted, while every other store is out of them. (Although, I still haven't found the 'zoos' I was looking for).

Aqualife is good with dry goods though. Aqualife has some very cute guy employees. :D But, really rude people.

gromulin
01/09/2004, 01:51 AM
Just went to "O" st. aquarium this week. Looked like a well-run store. Big selection of dry goods. Nice to see a LFS that sets up a good retail environment. So many LFS I go too have crap piled up in the aisles, and just look un-organized. I remember this store in San Leandro when I was a kid...it was like going to a public aquarium. All dark and spooky, but clean. And I'm not a clean-freak...just ask my wife.
I like aqualife since it's close, and seems to have a few knowledgable people there. Capitol seems kinda unfriendly.
I'll be interested to see how Nemo does in Rocklin.

just my .02

thereefgeek
01/09/2004, 09:14 AM
As for mail order dry goods, I've had good luck with Champion Lighting (for long VHO bulbs their packing is the best, never had one broken), Marine Depot (here in Cal, so they ship fast). Premium Aquatics and Dr. Fosters & Smith do O.K. also.

reefnovice
01/13/2004, 03:51 AM
6th Ave Aquarium in S.F. Their prices on Astraea snails 6 for $5 and $15 per coral (good LPS and softies selection) can't be beat! They have rose anenmone for only $69.

Their freshwater fishes are very inexpensive as well. Their cardinal tetra are 6 for $5.

Jus Reefin
01/13/2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by reefnovice
6th Ave Aquarium in S.F. Their prices on Astraea snails 6 for $5 and $15 per coral (good LPS and softies selection) can't be beat! They have rose anenmone for only $69.

Their freshwater fishes are very inexpensive as well. Their cardinal tetra are 6 for $5.

Wow Those are great prices. I may have to check them out. Do they have any SPS?

reefnovice
01/13/2004, 05:17 PM
Yes, and clams for $30. You should check it out.

Dakan
01/13/2004, 06:11 PM
Ya Rob at Pet Connection is a very nice guy but does not have the best system for reefs.However I have to say I have been shopping with him for 10 years and if you get to know him he makes the best deals in town on equipment.
I agree. His corals selection needs work but his fish always seem heathy and reasonbly priced. He does buy my frags though.

watch out for the water at 6th ave. I have bought a lot of stuff there but there water will kill every thing in your tank. The fish are the cheapest you will ever see. Even better than some wholsalers on there bag sundays but you have to quaranteen everything right away. Alot of there fish will die so buy 2 of what you want. Cyanide caught most likely?

John at Nemo has been very good to me so far. Rob, I bought that turbinara coral frag. He is holding it for me though while I set up my new lights and make room.

Aqualife has been difficult for me to enjoy due to a rude employee. I don't plan on going back unless things change.

Shane at Capital also buys my frags and has been good to deal with. There prices are a little high though.

O st Ok. Some very good prices.

Exotic has nice stuff and prices if you can get them to pay attention and/or help you.

thereefgeek
01/16/2004, 03:58 PM
Alot of there fish will die so buy 2 of what you want.

Do a search on the BARE forum for "6th Ave". I doubt you'll want to shop there after you read these.

sagitariuscbc
01/16/2004, 04:15 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296742
Also check out this!
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2257207
:mad: :eek1: :mad: :eek1: :mad:

Dakan
01/16/2004, 07:06 PM
I don't plan on going there anymore either. I don't want to see any more fish die. I don't want to support there way of doing business either.

changhsu
01/17/2004, 05:57 PM
There's a little known store called "Paradise" on 47th ave (between highway 99 and Stockton blvd), next to some churches. From 99, take the 47th ave exit East, drive a few minutes, store is on your left side.

The guy recently expanded his SW section. Looks like he is still stocking it.

The store is very clean and tidy. Tanks are all very clean, no dead fishes. I'm quite impressed, but the selection is not as large as the other stores. Hopefully, with more business, the store will grow and offer more.

O street is also a very well-kept store, the SW section has been expanded and well stocked by the new management.

Pet Connection has many cool stuff, esp inverts like jellyfish and nice Jebo tanks. Like they say, the store is old and creepy, but its one of the most interesting store in Sac.