PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang ect 75g

reefmaniac
07/15/2001, 06:58 PM
I am have a fishless 75 gallon reef tank, and i was wondering if i could add theeses fish (i want to keep waste to a min. for the corals)

1-yellow headed jawfish
1- yellow tang
1-2 percula clowns
1 dwarf angel (any idea which?)

thank you:)

Pomacanthus1
07/15/2001, 10:04 PM
reefmanic-

I already keep a Yllow Tng, Rgal Tng, Prcula Pown, and Flame Dwarf Angel in my reef and my corals are doing fine. In fact, i plan on adding more fish. However, the amount of fish you can add to your tank is highly dependent on the quality of your filtration system (powerful skimmer, lots of live rock, carbon). Also, i would recomend the flame dwarf angel, as he is beautiful and i never see any evidence of mine nipping corals. Coral Beauty dwarf angels also are good (not to mention less pricey!).

Pomacanthus1

Pomacanthus1
07/15/2001, 10:07 PM
Sorry, forgot to press the imput button for editing those names. They are Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, and Percula Clown.

BrianD
07/16/2001, 08:10 AM
The best filtration in the world won't fix an overcrowded tank. Good filtration should be a given. Stocking levels should be influenced by type of fish you keep and size of tank, as well as the environment (live rock, live sand, etc)

Reefmaniac, I responded to a similar post from you a day or so ago. You didn't post any reply, so I wonder if you read it.

Brian

Green Lantern
07/17/2001, 12:30 PM
Hello,

I would avoid putting a tang in a 72gal. I have tried twice. The first time I added a yellow tang as the first fish on the advice of my LFS (hadn't discovered the BBs yet). He ate well, was fat and got along with some fish but became increasingly hostile as time went on or he got bigger. I eventually removed him.

My next attempt was a purple tang that I added for algae control. He was the last fish added and was about 1" long. I already had a 155gal tank that I was planning to move him to when it was set up but after watching how aggressive he was even at a small size decided against it.

After my experience with the yellow I said I'd never add a tang to that size of tank again. I attribute some if not all of their aggressive behaviour to size of tank. As the yellow got larger I did not enjoy watching it as I began to feel claustraphobic for it. Though both my tangs would be considered excellent specimens I don't think they were happy.

You'll probably hear from half a dozen people saying I keep such and such tang in a 55gal and it is really healthy but if you read the advice of some of the more experienced aquarists you'll see a trend in their advice. HTH

Troy

Gene Brewer
08/15/2001, 01:39 AM
Slightly off thread but still about Yellow Tangs.... Just added a med size Yellow (appx playing card size, little smaller) to my recently cycled 100 gal reef tank on Saturday. It is the largest fish in there next to a Jewelled Rockskipper (i.e. Lawnmower Blenny). It seemed to be doing just fine swimming around and in and out of the gaps in the rocks. I noticed this evening that it seemed to be stressed. It was darting around and stopping to lift its head and sort of tail waggle (lack of better description). I had read that Yellows are a good indicator of water quality and everything had seemed to be right on (pH ~ 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates < 5, Calcium ~ 420 - 440, Phosphates 0 - use RO/DI water) on Sunday. I checked my books to see if I could identify the symptoms and read in one of them that Yellow Tang preferred lower light levels.

On a 'haven't tried that yet' chance, I switched off the pair of 96W 10K PC's and ran only a pair of 96W -03s. Within a few minutes (10 - 15 minutes) the Yellow Tang calmed down and within an hour or so (by coincidence when the -03 timer shut off), I noticed that the Yellow Tang 'went to bed'. It went to the little cave between the rocks that it seem to have chosen as 'home' and has been in and out of there a few times in the past couple of hours, but has not done the jerky swimming or erratic tail waggling.

My question to more experienced reefers than I is "Are Yellow Tangs susceptible to stress from very bright lights?"

Thanks

Gene