PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my fish?

sfsalty
07/15/2001, 03:58 PM
Ok, here is the deal. I have had a racoon and powder blue in a Q-tank at 1.009 for 30 days now. I am raising salinity now. In the interim, it seemed they had what looked to be gill flukes (shuddering, then scratching, then shuddering, then...). I did a series of formalin dips (1 ml/gal). That still didn't work. The racoon came down with a bacterial infection which has gone away with water changes and melafix. However, both fish are still scratching and I just don't know what to do now. My maroons which were exposed to the ick and I assume gill flukes are great and are in a separate quarantine as I let my 100G sit fallow.

Has anyone tried a prolonged formalin bath, or should I use copper? I have never used copper and am hesitant.

Please help.

Larry

Terry B
07/15/2001, 09:06 PM
Larry,
Are you sure that you have an accurate hydrometer? Is it a plastic swing arm type of small glass hydrometer? Please explain in detail how you administed the formalin dips. How many, how long, what dose, etc. Have you checked all the parameters? Ammonia or another toxin can cause scrathing. It think you must have missed something, now we just need to figure out what.
Terry B

sfsalty
07/15/2001, 10:16 PM
i use a refractometer from north coast marines and i re-calibrate it with ro/di water. the formalin dips were done at 79 degrees F for 45 minutes every other day. I used 1 ml of 37% formalin per gallon. i ran a powerhead in the dip for a couple of hours prior to putting the fish in the dip. once i put the fish in, they stayed for 45 minutes. i used a clear container to catch the fish (no nets).

the one thing i am concerned about is ammonia. i have a new salifert kit that always gives me a positive ammonia reading at hyposalinity. my red sea and fastest kits did as well. even when i run the ammonia tests on my water change water (also at 1.009), water i know is in good shape, i get a positive reading. however, i have a ammonia alert thingy from seachem that says 0. maybe it is the ammonia. does ammonia cause shuddering too? i am just at a loss.

the fish btw are otherwise ok. they still eat like crazy.

sfsalty
07/17/2001, 11:38 AM
hi everyone. this is another plea for help. anyone have thoughts?

thanks,
larry