PDA

View Full Version : 7 gallon bowfront cyno factory.

docmal
07/15/2001, 11:23 AM
I have had my bowfront set up for a couple months and I wen through your average blooms, except now everything has calmed down except the cyno. I get new cyno every day. It covers my southdown sand bed so fast I cant keep up with it. Someone please help me!

My setup is as follows: 7 gallon all glass bowfront, 3 inches of south down sand. 10 lbs of LR a couple coral frags (polyps shrooms and a small trach brain). Two baby clowns, 2 minijets for circulation. A 25 watt heater and 64 watts of PC lighting. I use RODI water which keeps my other 2 tanks free of to much algea and I do a water change every week.

I am getting an aquaclear 150 next week so I can put some media in it and suck some excess nutrients out. I will be using carbon and phosgaurd. Will this help? Are there any other methods to getting rid of this annoying algea?

kennerd
07/15/2001, 10:09 PM
Phos guard should help some. Try increasing the frequency & volume of your water changes....will get rid of phosphate build up quicker.

Also, cut back on feeding.

mr9iron
07/15/2001, 10:42 PM
Docmal sorry to hear about your cyano problem. I suspect some of the problems are due to excess nutrients in your system. You may want to cut back some on your feeding and keep up on those weekly water changes. Your clowns may also be adding alot of docs in the form of waste. I only feed my clown once every three days and he is doing fine. Also you imght want to get that filter in place and start running some carbon as well. One other thing you may consider is a Prizm skimmer this will aid in ridding doc's also. Keep us posted and dont expect your cyano problem to disappear over nigt. Be patinet.;)

docmal
07/16/2001, 11:24 AM
well, it seems the problem only gets worse when I added more current. I would get a prism skimmer but the tank is in my bedroom and the prisms are to loud. The aquaclear filter should be here in the next couple of days. I will keep you posted.

I guess I shouldn't feed my clowns flake food either? what should I feed? Frozen mysis maybe? I've heard prime reef flake doesn't contain as much phosphate as other brands... Should I use it?

What do you feed your nano and how often?

mr9iron
07/17/2001, 11:51 AM
You can put your Prizm on a timer so that it dosent bother you when you sleep. I feed small amounts of flake and brine shrimp every couple of days.