PDA

View Full Version : spawning question?

bmkindig
01/01/2004, 11:40 AM
hey guys
any one ever had peppermint shrimp spawn i have 1 that has what looks like an eggsac on it's back, well under it's shell(sorry no pics) it's like a green tumor inside of it. this could be a neat event so i'm trying to preare for it.

another one is has anyone ever had sun polyp coral spawn i've had mine for like 9 months and there awesome and heathly,but i got a book for xmas that states that if there treated good they'll reproduce.to my knowledge there the same size has when i bought them,and i thought that one needed 2 differant colonies for then to spawn. i've gotten lots of people asking my to frag them and as much as i've love to i just can't.

later
brad

JonK
01/01/2004, 12:00 PM
Brad,

Peppermint shrimp, or any shrimp for that matter, carry their eggs under their tails in the swimming appendages. If that is what you see than it is carrying eggs. As long as you have 2 of the same shrimp in the tank one can mate with the other. I forget the term but they have both male and female organs. Just let your corals and fish enjoy the spawn.

I'm not sure about your Sun polyps, I've read the same thing.
There is a lot involved when it comes to a coral spawning, and I'm sure a lot of those "triggers" aren't present in our closed system.

Jon