PDA

View Full Version : How to replace some substrate

Pinecone_Jeff
07/12/2001, 11:39 AM
Hey Everyone,
After I started my 10 gal nano on my desk at work, I found Reef Central. After reading just about everything Ron Shimek has written about deep sandbeds, I need to get rid of my 1.5" layer of crushed coral and GARF Grunge and replace it with sugar fine oolithic sand.

So what do you guys think would be the best way to do this? All at once or a little at a time? I want to try to get a total of 5" of DSB and after the crushed coral is removed, I'll have about 3.5" to go. Any thoughts?

BTW, my 37 gal is up and running now with a 5" DSB and 35 lbs of LR. Lots and lots of copepods now! Like fleas! ;)

Tadashi
07/25/2001, 02:17 PM
I found that the best thing to do would be to remove everything (easy to do for a nano). Lay down the new sand. Then lay a thin layer of LS (from your old tank) on top to keep the new sand from clouding up the tank. Then slowly add saltwater over a plate. Add the rock back. Tank should clear in about 30 min. add corals and fish.

Alternative: pull out the CC. Then add new sand by pouring it down a 2" PVC pipe. slowly. Do not wash the sand prior. It may take about 1-2 days for the tank to clear if done too fast.

Alternative: use a 2 gal ziplock bag. Place sand in it. Slowly submerge it and allow water to fill back. Once it fills slowly pour out sand through small opening.

Pinecone_Jeff
07/25/2001, 03:02 PM
Thanks Tadashi! It's amazing how clear a tank can get after adding in sugar fine sand. In my 37 gal, after adding in the sand and doing it pretty fast, the tank was cloudy for a few days, but then it totally cleared up!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do that with my 10 gal, taking everything out and then adding in the sand. I'll let you all know how it goes.