PDA

View Full Version : Large tank owners please help decide!

aquariumking
12/27/2003, 03:24 PM
Large tank owners I need your help to decide something I can not. I need some input since this will be happening in the next three weeks. Here is my dilema.
Should I ?
1: Buy a new 300 gallon custom acrylic tank, stand and canopy?
or
2: Use my existing 110, 135, 55 tanks and have a custom stand and canopy built to make one large setup that I could use to display a reef tank, aggressive tank and refugium all together on one stand and canopy and use the extra money saved to purchase things such as a calcium reactor, new pumps, new skimmers, more lights, etc.?

This has been weighing on me for a couple weeks now and I can not decide. The cost would be the same over all but would it be better to get the one large tank or use what I have and upgrade equipment? If I were to get the new tank I would be using the 135 for a sump/refugium and some of my exisiting saltwater equipment and buying some new. While the 110 and 55 would be freshwater tanks. It's just that I will be having a couple thousand extra soon to use for aquariums and I need some help! All input as to what to do will be apprieciated. HELP!

Fish-o-holic
12/27/2003, 05:32 PM
If it were me, I would prefer to have just one big 300g tank. Less work to deal with plus think about it, you want to clean 3 tanks versus just one? JMO

aquariumking
12/27/2003, 10:21 PM
Right now I am cleaning 10 and if I add the 300 it would be 11. I was planning on plumbing the three together as one system but I do like the idea of one large tank.

AuroraDave
12/28/2003, 02:09 PM
I would prefer one larger tank, than three smaller. A larger, and deeper (front to back) tank gives many more options for aquascaping. 18" isnt enough.
Depending on the fish, an aggressive tank may not be the best tank to mate to a reef tank due the excessive waste that feeding some fish causes.

anative
12/28/2003, 03:53 PM
I would upgrade the equipment to be able to handle the 300 for now and then upgrade to the bigger tank when you outgrown the current space. That way when it is time to upgrade you will be ready.

Jon

RedEyeReef
12/29/2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by anative
I would upgrade the equipment to be able to handle the 300 for now and then upgrade to the bigger tank when you outgrown the current space. That way when it is time to upgrade you will be ready.

Jon

I like anative idea. I did just that. I had a 150 gal reef, bought piece by piece everything I needed then set up my current 360 gal. Their is a lot to be said for having one big tank. You can do so much more and front to back depth is key. My 360 in 36" front to back and the aquascape is much more dramatic. If I did it over, I would go shorter length and 48" or 60" front to back.

I would like to have a agressive fish only also, but when weighting all options, nothing beats a large reef. Someday I hope to afford both.

eruss
12/30/2003, 01:32 PM
AuroraDave brings up a very good point. You don't want to connect a FO system to a reef and then try to battle the excess nutrients created by the FO. A recipe for disaster IMO.

My vote would be for the 300g tank. Much greater visual impact!

Twize
12/30/2003, 01:38 PM
Door #1 !

H@rry
12/30/2003, 01:54 PM
Or you could take the 2K and buy some Textron options! Then in June you'd have the 300 gallon and the 2K.

Dakan
12/30/2003, 01:59 PM
I would go with the 300 and sell off some of the other tanks for better equip.

Textron options

Explain please. ;)

JOHNNYHO
12/30/2003, 02:12 PM
if you can afford it, go with the BIGGER TANK!!!

H@rry
12/30/2003, 04:06 PM
If you're into the market, Textron is poised for a good move in the next 6 months.