PDA

View Full Version : Sick sting ray

AC
07/11/2001, 10:08 AM
I have a sting ray that has what looks like cynobacteria on the tip of its tail. The end of the tail also seems to be erroding away. Any ideas on what this might be and a treatment.

Thanks

billsreef
07/11/2001, 09:50 PM
From your brief description I am going to guess that it is a bacterial infection. The big trick with treating rays (also sharks for that matter) is thier sensitivity to many medications. The only antibiotic I recall hearing is safe on sharks and rays that is commonly available at the LFS is Kanacyn.

AC
07/12/2001, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the information, on closer inspection it appears as if it's a bit from the epaulette shark the ray shares a tank with. It looks like the very tip of the rays tail has died and is sluffing off. Hopefully she will recover from this injury.

Mr Nasty
07/25/2001, 12:14 PM
Your ray should heal, but I have found that adding Iodine to shark or ray tanks is very beneficial to their healing . Also seems to enhance feeding, activity and health in general. If your shark is suffering from a goutier (large lump under his chin) as most captive sharks do, iodine will help cure this affliction as well.

Good luck. I love sharks and rays!