PDA

View Full Version : Pilotfish?

NotAnHerb
07/10/2001, 10:59 PM
I was at the LFS today and they had a school of fish that was labeled "pilotfish". Cute yellow guys with dark vertical lines, and about the size of a green chromis.

It appears that it might be a GNATHANODON SPECIOSUS. If so, they guys get big. Real big.

Anyone knows anything about them. I did not ask the owner how big they get.

Thanks

Tcook
07/11/2001, 12:28 AM
They get very big...in nature. They usually die in a tank, at least the ones I tried to keep in the past.

ReefGirl
07/11/2001, 01:08 AM
They get huge, are an openwater schooling fish requiring an absolutely HUGE tank.... And, did I mention they get huge?

Definitely NOT a fish for a hobbyist. Tell the LFS this & if they don't understand, give them a kick where it really hurts.

RG.

c2evoracer
05/02/2002, 04:54 AM
i had some and they seem very, very hardy. these are my favorite fish and i was wondering would anyone know if there is a difference between captive ones and tank raised ones. one of mines got sucked into the powerhead so now i'm trying to order some online.

wla20
05/03/2002, 06:41 AM
Where did you find captive-bred pilot fish c2evoracer?

W.

c2evoracer
05/03/2002, 05:04 PM
it was at a lfs in hacienda, california. they were about 3 inches each for $20. they don't have anymore right now but they said they will be getting more. i think the tank raised one don't grow as big as the normal ones. am i right?

Leonard
05/03/2002, 05:43 PM
As far as I'm aware, there are no such things as captive bred Pilot Fish. Tank raised specimens do exists.

Concerning size of tank raised versus wild, there is no data suggesting that tank raised fish grow to smaller maximum sizes their their wild brethen. In any event, a "diminuative" Pilot Fish is still at 24" pelagic monster, too large for any personal reef I can think of (unless some one out there has a 10,000 gallon reef).

c2evoracer
05/15/2002, 03:27 AM
look here for tank raised ones
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=682