PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a tank

Bill King
12/25/2003, 12:02 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.
Santa "brought" me a new tank, my choice.
I'd like something in the 125 gal. range, but I don't have the 6 foot of floor space.
That leaves 75 or 90 gal.
I would like to hear from you guys, pros & cons, better ideas,
best prices, new or used, etc.
thanks, & happy holidays.
Bill

zooqi
12/25/2003, 01:06 PM
Santa was here last night to pick up a tank for somebody who is local so you must have different santa. :D Happy Holidays everybody. I bought me a nice video camera for Christmas. I also got lots of nice stuff for fishing, scuba diving, cloth, organizers (I need them), and lots of goodies. My day is not over yet and still have one more family meeting in a couple of hours. Kids taking a nap so they stay in good mood for the next meeting. :beer:

assassinco97
12/25/2003, 01:39 PM
Hey Bill,

I don't know thats a hard thing to decide.....But sooooo much fun. The only thing the ninty adds is about two inches height. Which is nice but can be a pain if you want to get light to the bottom. But I'm sure you know that already :D considering you always help me with my questions. Which I appreciate by the way. With all the stuff you have I would go for the ninty anyways which will give you extra room for growth and your fish:p Plus I'm sure that you'll make it look even better then your current setup. All Glass makes a good ninty and even a good seventy five (my current) the only problem I have with them is the center brace it doesn't distract that much but some say it blocks some light. but it reduces some of the thickness of the glass which I think reduces distortion and makes the tank cheaper (more money for corals) Their metal stands are also reasonable to hold you new baby and can actually be quite decorative. Hope this helps

By the way what are you doing with the old tank...Turning it into a sump or a bigger seahorse tank. If you need any help moving the old tank to the new let me know. I would be more then willing to come help.

Ed

JonK
12/25/2003, 03:16 PM
Bill: Don't they make a 120 with a 4 foot length. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they do. Otherwise I would go with the 90.

Jon

assassinco97
12/25/2003, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't a 120 with a 4ft would have to be pretty deep and would make it a stretch for most lights to get to the bottom of the tank. I dont know just curious. It would be cool if they did though but I dont want to have to scrape that glass at the bottom you would have to get a scuba mask to getto the bottom.....hahah

JonK
12/25/2003, 03:53 PM
I just checked on TFP's website. The perfecto 90 gallon is 48 x 18 x 24. The 120 gallon is 48 x 24 x 24. So it's not any taller than a 90 but 6 inches wider from front to back.

Jon

nixnutz
12/25/2003, 05:31 PM
The 110 I'm getting is 48x18x30. There are several sizes available with the 48" footprint. Best of luck and congrats!!

Rahn

assassinco97
12/25/2003, 06:01 PM
Thats cool......I like the idea of having a wider tank than a taller one. Sounds pretty good Bill.

GarSrtn
12/25/2003, 06:10 PM
The 120 is nice (48x24x24). I don't like the 110 due to the height (48x18x30). Thirty inches is deep; so deep that I have a hard time reaching the bottom of a 110 when it's on the stand. Also, the 24-inch front-to-back size of a 120 is good for aquascaping.

nixnutz
12/25/2003, 07:40 PM
I agree about the 120. I would prefer those dimensions. I got a good deal on the 110, which is why I'm going with that. If I could get the same deal on a 120, that would be my choice.

Rahn

Tagamet
12/27/2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by nixnutz
I agree about the 120. I would prefer those dimensions. I got a good deal on the 110, which is why I'm going with that. If I could get the same deal on a 120, that would be my choice.

Rahn

I have a 2 X 2 X 4 120 and love it. I also have it's big bro, a 2 X 2 X 8 240. The 2 feet deep is still arms length and 2 feet front to back gives great depth for aquascaping. Unless he want's to buy my 58 gallon tank and stand, he will be well served with the "short" 120.
JMO,
Tagamet

Snookie
12/28/2003, 09:34 AM
Bill, after much researching and due to the same limitations, I just bought an Oceanic 120 Reef Ready at TFP for $530.00. Price includes bulkhead plumbing. The Oceanic is more money than the All Glass but supposedly is a better tank (true, if you get what you pay for). This is a MAJOR project for me and I'm not looking to cut corners only to regret it later. Too many times I have made compromises only to have second thoughts. In this sport, I think the best advice I've read (many times) is "buy a bigger one than you think you'll need." I bought a bigger pump than I'll really need (Iwaki RTL70), went with the 250w MH's instead of the 175's, 100 gallon sump, probably a granite top for the stand I'm building, etc. Good luck and enjoy yourself as you plan! :cool: