PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever fix a mag drive?

bmkindig
12/23/2003, 12:39 PM
hey guys
i've got a mag 7 that i've had only like 3 years and never really had a problem with it,on till just recently, i bought a new pump anyway cause i wanted better water flow thou the tank.
i bought a new impellor and that wasn't it. it works fine for a short time (like 10 mins)then i guess it's over heating or something like it's shorting out . and i was getting faint electrical shocks while my hand was in the water and it was running(not in my tank of course) i just hate to have to throw it out.
can anyone help.
thanks
brad

zooqi
12/24/2003, 03:23 AM
cleaning and replac impeller is very easy but when it gets to shorts then is a junk. Sometimes inside where Impeller goes need to be cleaned from the salt that got there from heat but shorts are not good. Shorts are bad.

bmkindig
12/24/2003, 04:14 AM
hey mo,
thanks what i was thinking,but i can't stop playing bob the builder. can we fix it?

brad

71goalie
12/24/2003, 09:01 AM
brad,

i'm sure it can be fixed. but is it worth it? you've got to do a risk accessment. how much is a new pump? how confident are you that you'll be able to absolutely find the problem? then, how much are all your frags worth? i've heard that electricity & corals do not get along very well :D . my personal opinion would be to replace the pump.

FWIW

bmkindig
12/24/2003, 12:35 PM
hey doug,
i already replaced the pump and i got an awsome deal $80 for a mag 1200.man that baby puts out some current!!!!!!!!!!!
i was just thinking of fixing this 1 ffor mixing salt and pumpong water into buckets also backup is always nice.
brad

Mal3
01/03/2004, 11:20 PM
Brad,

If I were you I would throw it out! It is not safe and could catch fire or worse.