PDA

View Full Version : Cheap MH?

pooreefer
07/10/2001, 01:08 AM
:confused: As you guys can tell by my user name I'm not very rich!!! So, does anybody know where I can get the cheapest MH setup? Anything will do (i.e. pendants, retro, full hood) as long as it's cheap. I have a standard rectangular tru-vu tank so I'm hoping to get one 175w on each ends. Total of two, or should I use just one bulb but at higher wattage? Thanks in advance for your advice.

fozzie
07/10/2001, 08:51 AM
hey how's it going try giving these guys a look http://www.aquaticlight.com (http://)

Snailman
07/10/2001, 06:12 PM
If you want cheap go here http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=16 and look at the thread "I have seen the light" and " I have seen the light II" Reserve some time because they are very long threads but they drill down on cheap MH big time. :) You may also find some other interesting MH threads in the Lighting Archive. :)

cubera
07/12/2001, 07:55 AM
IME your best bet would be to purchase a PFO dual retro set-up from a reputable online store such as www.premiumaquatics.com.
The reason I feel this way is that you get quality, brand new, no problems and probably cheaper in the long run. If you don't like the retro, at least look at quality new ballasts then fit the rest to your budget. This will save you money in the long run IMO. HTH:eek1:

Aquariust
07/12/2001, 04:29 PM
cubera, can you define this statement? "quality new ballasts"

Would you consider the ballasts at www.aquaticlight.com new?

cubera
07/12/2001, 06:02 PM
I can attest to the fact that the following ballasts are very durable and long lived:

E-Ballast (energy efficient, cool running, light any lamp (except 12KK) more expensive up front but worth the money in the long run.

PFO MH ballasts can survive war, pestulence, and famine! Very inexpensive, run very hot, burn lots of juice, power any lamp first time everytime.

Hamilton MH ballasts same exact 'guts' as a DIY that nearly burned down San Antonio. We do have two 175 watt "Hamilton" MH ballasts that have been running a long time. IMO better bang for the buck with PFO.

Ice Caps are outstanding ballasts very energy efficient but need tuned for lamp. A bit inconvenient but IMO can't ever go wrong with ICs. Good products, good service, a bit pricey like E-Ballasts which are the Rolls Royce of MH IMO.

You can purchase a brand new PFO for about what you would pay to build your own except no hassles, nice heat sink, nice connectors, great value. Much safer for propagator dweebs like me.

HTH:eek1:

pooreefer
07/13/2001, 12:29 AM
So where would be the best place to purchase one of these retros? Is PA the only place you would recommend?

cubera
07/13/2001, 06:22 AM
PA is always on the top of our list for any equipment purchase because prices are competitive and service is unmatched. There are other online companies such as www.marinedepot.com, and www.championlighting.com that also have easy to navigate sites, good service, quality products, and good prices. There are many more sites to find ballasts alone or retros. HTH

pooreefer
07/15/2001, 12:41 AM
I've heard Home Depot has MV ballasts that can run Iwasakis 6500k, is this true? If yes, what is the name of the ballast or the model # for it? Do they really work?

cubera
07/15/2001, 08:49 AM
Lighting and electrical supply stores have M-59 ballasts and all the parts you need to DIY your lights except lamps and reflectors. IME it is not worth the money saved and hassles to DIY these with very low prices on prewired, housed, switched, ready to plug in ballasts like PFO.

Aquariust
07/25/2001, 08:07 PM
Would you consider the ballasts at www.aquaticlight.com new?

What kind of ballast are they, and how do they work?

cubera
07/25/2001, 08:45 PM
Can't speak for Aquatic Light ballasts. We run DIY, E-ballasts, IC, PFO, and Hamilton.www.lonestarcorals.com :eek1:

saltjunkie
07/26/2001, 12:55 PM
You can also purchase new pfo kits from reefland.co, but if you head over to our message board, in the for sale or trade forum, there are a couple of hobbiest selling mh ballasts and sockets at very reasonable prices.,
Rick

pooreefer
07/26/2001, 05:21 PM
Thank you very much for everybody's advice. I finally got my system set up. I bought a used system from my local classifieds. It came w/ pfo 175w dual ballast, sockets, reflector, and 2 10,000k bulbs. He used it for 4 months but decide to upgrade. All I had to do was build my canopy, which was really cheap. He was also nice enough to give me some sps frags and some xenias. Now I guess I'll start posting q's about sps and where to get them. Thanks everybody for helping out a newbie. :)

Starmy
07/27/2001, 01:30 PM
I just saw this thread. I read your name as "Poo Reefer" :D :D

Or it could be "Poor Eefer"...

puff the magic fish
07/28/2001, 07:25 AM
You could check this place out, http://www.alternativegarden.com/

I think the bulbs are a bit on the yellow side, but the price was right for me when I bought it, 400watt MH for under $200-

puff