PDA

View Full Version : Attached crocea exposure.

Flatlander
07/09/2001, 09:02 PM
I have a crocea, that was protected in the rock structure of my reef. Its well attached to its rock now.

I recently, restructured my reef and now the rock its attached to, is on the top of my reef flat, with the clam fully exposed. It, of course loves it there, and its right under a 400w 12K halide.

As my others are derasa,s and they sit on the sand, I was wondering about this placement. Even though its well attached, can it be hurt by its position in the tank?

Flatlander
07/10/2001, 07:19 PM
^

MiNdErAsR
07/10/2001, 10:05 PM
I think the clam will be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

Flatlander
07/11/2001, 08:37 AM
Thanks Jim, I have been doing some research and have seen them both protected in the rock work and exposed.

My main concern was with how strong they attach. I know they have a large foot than most clams to hold themselves in the turf, of their natural home. It sure seems to love being higher up, even closer to the 400 watt bulb and even enjoys the current up there.

As I said, my concern was of how much of a bump it would take to break the attachment, as then its usually to late, as they seem to die after breaking the attachment.

MiNdErAsR
07/11/2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Doug Lowey
As I said, my concern was of how much of a bump it would take to break the attachment, as then its usually to late, as they seem to die after breaking the attachment.

Ok, I misunderstood...I thought your concern was with it being too close to the lighting. In most cases the byssal gland will create a strong attachment to the rock. If the clam is unhappy with it's current locale, it will release that hold and IME will fall between the cracks or behind your rock structure. A PITA if you ask me. This is why I advocate placing clams in the sandbed. I know T. crocea belongs in the rocks, but I've never had a problem with any species placed in the sand.

On the other hand, should the byssal gland be torn from the clam, chances are slim that it will survive.

If you don't already own it, might I suggest Daniel Knop's "Giant Clams"? An excellent reference for keepers of clams. A must have IMO.

HTH

Flatlander
07/11/2001, 05:09 PM
Thanks Jim. Guess we will just watch it close. I cant place it anywhere else, as its well attached. I would have to move the whole rock itself and its a large piece.

smokinreefer
07/14/2001, 02:56 AM
it'll be fine doug. when i was in fiji, all the clams are firmly attached to rocks. they wont budge, just imagine the turbulance they experience with the low tides.
HTH

Flatlander
07/14/2001, 08:25 AM
Thanks Smokin. Were they fully exposed? I took a pic yesterday & will post it as soon as I put it on my page.

smokinreefer
07/14/2001, 01:12 PM
oh, i think i know what you mean...it's just sitting on a rock, attached with no rock support on the sides, right? how bout just epoxy a few small pieces of rubble on both sides of the rock its on. that'll give it some support so it wont tear its bysall. it's a quick fix and then you wont have to worry about it ever falling off.
HTH

:D

Flatlander
07/14/2001, 03:22 PM
http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00517.jpg

Here is the pic guys. That may be a good idea Smokin.