PDA

View Full Version : Ric and Shroom Fragging question, from a fragging rookie

Fizz71
12/22/2003, 10:48 AM
#1...How big of a piece do you cut off (percentage)?
#2...What do you do with the cut piece..leave it or move it?
#3...How long does it normally take for a fragged piece to regain it's normal symetrical shape?

We're talking shrooms and rics here..Do you just razor blade them down the center and that's it, or do you do other things as well. I know to trade them I'd have to remove them from the rock, but I'm just wondering if there are things I can do to promote reproduction rather than waiting for them to split on their own.

I've never taken a razor blade to anything in my tank but the glass..so I don't want to do anything stupid! I guess I'm looking for a "basic procedures" kind of guide.

TIA.

--Fizz

beerman0831
12/22/2003, 01:26 PM
Well as for the shrooms I just cut them near the base where they are attatched and then put the cut piece in a tray with cc so they attatch to something so I can glue them .Put the tray in a low flow area.Ricoridas I cut in half right through the mouth.I onlt did this once but it did work.It was attatched to 2 different rocks and I cut it.Hope this help somewhat.

Fizz71
12/29/2003, 12:32 PM
I can't believe I didn't get anymore traffic on this?! C'mon guys..help a newb fragger out! :)

--Fizz

Tagamet
01/02/2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Fizz71
#1...How big of a piece do you cut off (percentage)?
#2...What do you do with the cut piece..leave it or move it?
#3...How long does it normally take for a fragged piece to regain it's normal symetrical shape?
We're talking shrooms and rics here..Do you just razor blade them down the center and that's it, or do you do other things as well. I know to trade them I'd have to remove them from the rock, but I'm just wondering if there are things I can do to promote reproduction rather than waiting for them to split on their own.
I've never taken a razor blade to anything in my tank but the glass..so I don't want to do anything stupid! I guess I'm looking for a "basic procedures" kind of guide.
TIA.
--Fizz

Remove rock with shrooms on it to plastic tub with tank water. Get a couple cups of clean tank water, maybe a quart. Get a couple small bowls. And some small rocks. Preferably limestone or coral. Concrete is fine. Or shells. These can be small so you can attach the shrooms too. Then have some sharp sizzors. Cut off a large shroom mid stalk. Take the mushroom head and cut through the mouth like a pizza. 4 or 6 pieces is good. Rinse lightly with tank water. Not in tank. Then take a piece of shroom and the rock piece, dry both with paper towel, and drip a drop of super glue gel on the rock and push the cut part of shroom into gel. Hold for a minute, and put in bowl, pour water around, till covered, repeat. You can also have a bowl filled with gravel and put the pieces in and lay it in the sump in an area with low flow. The glue method is better. If you dont the shrooms will attach where ever they float to. I like to glue several different colors to one rock. And then glue some zoos. It looks great after a month or so. They get full size in a month or so. Also the foot may turn into one or several.

Fizz71
01/02/2004, 02:00 AM
Cool. Thanks.

--Fizz

Tagamet
01/02/2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Fizz71
Cool. Thanks.

--Fizz

No Problem.
Tagamet

Nyxll
01/02/2004, 12:40 PM
Heh Cool. I didn't think the glue would work directly on the slimy shrooms.... but I have never tried. Ill have to give it a shot that way next time.

Greg