PDA

View Full Version : Copper in FO tank

Aquamans Reef
07/08/2001, 06:12 PM
I just wanted to know if I should maintain a copper of.15 so my fish won't get ich just incase something was to go wrong. I've heard that the ich will become immune to the copper is this true? How can ich become immune if they die in their free swimming stage? I'm Confused Thanks for the reply

JohnL
07/08/2001, 06:21 PM
Continued exposure to copper would not be healthy for the fish.

Cookoopod
07/08/2001, 10:10 PM
I agree that prolonged exposure to copper is not healthy for fish. It strips them of there natural slime coat too. But many LFS' and wholesalers run copper in their systems continuously... THEN AGAIN, they have a high turn over rate that doesn't allow the fish to be exposed to the copper for an extended period. We used to keep copper in the LFS' system that I worked at.

hcs3
07/09/2001, 05:22 PM
i agree, continued exposure is not good. i would not recommend doing this.

for more info regarding this issue, i'm gonna move your thread to the disease forum where hopefully you can get a better response.

HTH

henry

billsreef
07/09/2001, 10:35 PM
For short term treatment of specific diseases copper is OK. However long term exposure to copper or any other medication is not a good idea. It would be better to start out with a good Quarantine tank to hold and and treat as necessary any new purchases before adding them to your display tank.

stagedperformance
07/11/2001, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't use copper at all, I have only had bad experiences with copper treatments. There is this stuff called NO-ICH made by Fish-Vet Inc that is outstanding. You can use it regularly (weekly) or only in the case of a breakout. The best thing about this stuff is that you can use it in FO and reef tanks - it doesn't effect corals, inverts, or the bateria colonies in your tank. If you are really looking for something to prevent any disease this stuff is good!

Remember if you keep your water quality GOOD all the time you shouldn't have any problems:)

Hope this helps

Steve