PDA

View Full Version : New tank broke

HOC
12/20/2003, 11:05 PM
Well, I drove clear over to DSM to find my new 360 gal tank broke at the shipping Co. You'd think they would have told me when I called three diff times to arrange pickup.. Made me sick..Oh well, sent it back for repair or replace. Probably be another month.:furious:

Oh, by the way, the shipping weight on this thing was over 900 lbs....How the heck am I going to get this in my house:confused:

Coralfreak
12/21/2003, 12:23 AM
Now that sucks.

Sorry man:( Hope they get you taken care of with another.

900lbs:eek1: Mine felt like 900lbs, does that count:D

Allen

Aaron1100us
12/21/2003, 02:24 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Thats pretty lousy of them to not tell you before you drove all that way. Hope it comes back ok.

Bullet
12/21/2003, 08:37 AM
That Sucks...What a change in emotions in such a short time! Going from excited to pi**ed in 2.2 seconds.:( Hey, let me know when you want help moving that so that I can make sure that I am busy;) ;) ;) . Just kidding...Wow 900lbs. That is going to take you, me and maybe another guy to get that in your house.:D

cb747
12/21/2003, 09:07 AM
get like 10 friends lined up LOL Heres a link to a 450 being delivered lastr weekend! And dont forget the pizza and coronas LOL www.lireef.org

dellrio
12/21/2003, 12:53 PM
HOC nick and i would love to help u out... well.. i am kinda weak.. so nick can do the lifting =) i'll do what i can... just ask when your in need.. we'll be there =)

halfabrain
12/22/2003, 05:49 AM
i can help also if i am off when you move it.

FlyGTI
12/22/2003, 09:55 AM
Chris, I take it that this tank is going to be in the Des Moines house?

If that's the case and you need some help, I'll be as available as possible. Let me know what you need and when.

dknape
12/22/2003, 11:38 AM
I can assist as well in Des Moines.

JazzMan
12/22/2003, 11:41 AM
Who made the tank?

HOC
12/22/2003, 08:05 PM
WOW..thanks everybody!! Looks like we'll be moving end of Feb-first of March. We're building a house over by the new mall off 74th St. It has a walkout basement hopefully that will make things easier, but man that's a lot of weight.

After a lot of thought, I will be picking up the tank as is and repairing it. Not sure what the chances of me getting it back repaired properly and not broke again would be. The manufacturer is sending me the parts to fix it. Since it's only the top egde brace I'm sure i can fix it. Just don't like the thought of spending this kind of money for a broken tank. I think fixing it myself is the best option. I'll post pics when it's here.

The manufacturer was Glasscages.com. Looked like they did a pretty good job on the tank. Not sure if it was packaged right. The box the tank came in is twice as tall as the tank to prevent anything hitting it. Problem was it's only cardboard and something went through the box and landed on the tank. Should have some wood in there for support IMO. Also the guy wasn't real sympathetic or helpful when I called him. I can't recommend them for customer service, but they build a heavy duty tank!! And at a decent price.:mixed:

FlyGTI
12/22/2003, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood...we're about five minutes away from you!

Greenwater
12/23/2003, 08:15 AM
I'm also about 5-10 minutes away from 74th if you need help moving it.

silentshadow
12/24/2003, 11:41 AM
How much did shipping cost you on that bad boy?

HOC
12/29/2003, 08:23 PM
Well, I got it picked up. After looking at it , I'm sure I can fix it. Can't get my camera to download, or I'd post a pic.

Just to add to the story... I was told by the office person at the shipping Co. they start working at 2 AM. Well I left a little room for error and showed up at 5am so I could try to make it back to CR for work. They didn't show up til 6 AM. I had just had enough and left , but decided to call one more time a little after 6. Sure enough they were finally there so I turned around...Rather loudly I might add.:mad2:

HOC
12/29/2003, 08:28 PM
Well I finally got it after sitting in their parking lot for over an hour. Said they'd be there at 2AM this morning, but didn't show up til 6. I got there at 5 to try making it back to CR for work on time. So much for that. Anyway, I got the tank, and after looking at it, I'm sure I can fix it. Nothing else was broke.:)

Moral of the story...Don't have a Glass tank shipped.;)

And the shipping was over $200....I paid somebody over $200 to break my tank:confused:

Atticus
01/02/2004, 02:28 PM
I would have broken it for half that!!!! :D

Atticus
01/02/2004, 02:29 PM
Glad to hear you have everything straightened out. As allways call or email if you need any help.

HOC
01/02/2004, 09:27 PM
Well, I was able to remove the broken piece without breaking anything else..Whew!! Took me almost two hours to get it off, luckily the silicone wasn't completely dry yet. Couldn't get a razor blade between the glass, it was too close together.

I will be making a base out of 2 x 5 rectangular steel covered with 3/4" plywood to go under the tank. This will allow me to use a fork lift to get the tank in my new house. I'll just pass it through a window and set it on a stand made 1" higher than the window. After loading the tank and removing it from my truck with a fork lift, I decided it was the only way to go. I couldn't believe how much the tank loaded my 1/2 ton truck!! It's every bit of 900 lbs, and I have no desire to ever pick it up:D .

D Hinch
09/02/2004, 05:44 PM
glasecages.com just lost a sale!

I just called to get a shipping quote $240 to DSM. But they told me that they were going to be in St. Louis in two week and in Chicago in October. So I asked about payment. He says "full payment when you order". So I ask What if Im unhappy with the tank? He says "Then dont order it"

I would rather pay twice as much than deal with glasscages!!

HOC
09/02/2004, 06:11 PM
You know..It's bad when you get poor customer service after you purchase something like I did. But when you have poor customer service before the sale....Yikes!!!

BTW I paid half when I ordered and half when it shipped. Then he didn't want to do anything when the tank showed up broke. I don't blame you for not paying up front. I wouldn't either.

overanalyzer
09/02/2004, 08:58 PM
Yet another reason I decided on a custom acrylic tank instead of one from glass cages or someone else - that and we just got sod so a forklift is out of the question!!

Let me know if you need help when yo ugo to have the tank set!